High Calcium CT Scan Score of 1925 - Anyone Else Experience This?

Posted by dougcampbell @dougcampbell, Aug 31, 2017

Hello,

I was just diagnosed with afib with rvr. And today after a CT - Calcium Scan, I was immediately called and they told me the score was 1925. Now they are scheduling me for a heart cath.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Heart & Blood Health Support Group.

Community Director's Note
This message was deleted. It contained incorrect information and a recommendation to a professional who has been reported numerous times to the National Council Against Health Fraud.
http://www.ncahf.org/articles/s-z/whitaker.html

Hello @dougcampbell,

Welcome! I apologize that you did not get a response earlier, and sincerely hope that all went well with the heart catherization?
I’m tagging a few members who may be able to share some of their experiences with high calcium levels, heart complications and the stress this causes. Please meet @jrismyname @hopeful33250 @predictable @michellr @gailfaith @mcristodero @mcphee @dennisl27 @ram675 @loyd1934deborah and @eileena.

I’d also sincerely encourage you to view this ongoing (and incredibly informative) discussion on Connect as well:
– AFib questions https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/good-morning-im-almost-66-years-old-with-infrequent-afib-and-on/

@dougcampbell, has your cardiologist prescribed any blood thinners or other medications? When you are ready, we would love to hear back from you.

@kanaazpereira

Hello @dougcampbell,

Welcome! I apologize that you did not get a response earlier, and sincerely hope that all went well with the heart catherization?
I’m tagging a few members who may be able to share some of their experiences with high calcium levels, heart complications and the stress this causes. Please meet @jrismyname @hopeful33250 @predictable @michellr @gailfaith @mcristodero @mcphee @dennisl27 @ram675 @loyd1934deborah and @eileena.

I’d also sincerely encourage you to view this ongoing (and incredibly informative) discussion on Connect as well:
– AFib questions https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/good-morning-im-almost-66-years-old-with-infrequent-afib-and-on/

@dougcampbell, has your cardiologist prescribed any blood thinners or other medications? When you are ready, we would love to hear back from you.

Jump to this post

First off, thank you so much for getting this information to me and introducing me to this group!As I mentioned my Coronary calcium score is 2240. I had a heart Cath done to clear me for abdominal surgery, which I was cleared for after the heart cath.  I am statin intolerant so I cannot take any statins so I watch what I eat very closely. My BP runs in the 160’s -  170’s over 100 - 115 and am on both Metropolol and norvasc. If there is any information that I can discuss with my doctors that would be great. I have several other symptoms going on right now, too. Especially my neuromuscular ones that they have failed to diagnose, but has left me in a wheelchair, an unintentional weight loss of 80llbs in the past 5 mos and tremendous muscle weakness, atrophy and fatigue. I do not know if there is any correlation between the 2 (heart disease and the neurological one)? But if someone has a similar situation and can pass that along I would be very appreciative. Kind regards 

@kanaazpereira

Hello @dougcampbell,

Jump to this post

@dennisl27, Greetings.

Though I don't know for sure about your problem, I know that the heart has a bundle of HIS that controls it neurologically.

I, myself, have Right Branch Bundle Block, not sure if I was born with it or it came from my open heart procedure. I have contacted my cardiologist to do a look back as to when this first appeared. I think it is what causes me to have to take rest periods directly after I exert myself through walking quickly. I know my BP drops severely during the day as well and can go as low as 102/64 with HR 47. When this is happening I have to find a place to lie down and get as horizontal as possible or I may faint.

I do hope, for your sake, they find answers for you symptoms very soon.

@kanaazpereira

Hello @dougcampbell,

Jump to this post

@Dennis127 , gailfaith here. I may be way off base with this note, but this is what happened to me. DId you perchance have any cortisone injections into a joint? I am currently fighting to stay out of a wheelchair. Before I had my first knee replacement , the doctor was rotating cortisone and Synvisc into my knee to hold off surgery as long a possible. I don't remember how often or how long this went on, but my appts were always on a Friday. One Monday after such a Friday, I woke up very weak, but had no symptoms over the weekend. NO pain, just weakness. I basically did nothing all week except sit in the sun reading. By Friday, I was OK again. The next time I saw that doctor I mentioned it to him. His immediate response was "we'll never give you a big dose of cortisone". Until he mentioned cortisone, I had no idea what that past Friday was used. Two years later and 2 months after my other TKR, I went for a surgical check and he had to aspirate the knee from fluid. I was fine again over the weekend, but on Monday I was again very weak, and realized they had probably injected cortisone again, but I figured "OK by Friday I'll be OK again" but this time the weakness was permanent. No doctor locally could put a name to my condition, until I finally went to Mayo where after a week of testing they said I had a rare form of muscular dystrophy, Myotonic Dystrophy. The bad injection was in 2006 and I went to Mayo in 2013. SInce then I have been in weekly PT. They agreed with what other doctors said in that I could get worse, never better and to never exercise to fatigue as if damaged, my muscles can't recover. Fortunately, my therapist, sort of disagrees, in that with exercise we can at least slow down the progression. Beside the exercises he Rx for, I started doing a lot of walking with two canes. I live in a retirement community and there are many walking routes here and with a measuring wheel tied to my left cane (it drags behind me and is upside down so it counts up, not down!) I have measured over 100 different routes. I use no canes inside my residence, but 2 canes outside for safety. A pedometer only counts steps and one's stride can change with each step. Yes, walking is getting a little worse with time, but I am still out of a wheelchair. And I have now walked 140 miles (yes, MILES) since August of 2016. So maybe, regardless of your Dx and cause, exercise can help. The only days I don't walk are the days I see my therapist as he doesn't want me to come tired......he'll send me home tired!,

@gailfaith What a remarkable story - thanks for sharing it with us!

Are there any other exercises, other than walking, that help you?

Teresa

@kanaazpereira

Hello @dougcampbell,

Jump to this post

Hi, and thank you for the response. No, I have not had any cortisone shots, nor any joint pain. As a matter of fact that is one of the confusing symptoms to my doctors. I have the exact amount of extreme weakness in all 4 limbs (both proximally and digitally), but still have reflexes in all 4 limbs. I was told that this is unlike any neurological disorder that he has seen.I’m not sure if the calcium score has anything to do with any of this but if it is maybe it could assist the physicians with making a diagnosis?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.