Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

I am so glad I found this site. My husband suffers from Ménière disease and has bilateral hearing loss. He wears hearing aids but for the most part still has a hard time. It has been very frustrating for him but also for me. I will say something to him and he will say 'I didn't hear you', I will repeat with a slightly louder tone and again get 'I didn't hear you' and repeat again louder and he will say 'stop yelling at me!' I know this is very hard for him but he doesn't realize the toll it takes on me also. Anymore I try not to talk because it always ends in the same way. I appreciate the recommendations I have found on this site and will try to have more patience and speak to him face to face with more pronounced and slower speaking. I hope it works as we are very quickly edging towards no communication at all. 🙁

@julieo4

I have the Cochlear Americas Freedom implant that I received in 2005. Have updated the processor 3 times since then and each one is better than the last one.

The accessories that come with Cochlear Americas products are excellent. I use the mini mic often when in noisy settings. I'm sure you know that each CI brand is only compatible with a specific hearing aid. For Cochlear it's ReSound. So, the accessories also work with the ReSound hearing aids.

Phonak works with Advanced Bionics I believe. The Roger device is considerably more expensive than the mini mic. It may come with the AB implant though, I don't know. There is a streamer accessory from Phonak that allows usage with other CI and HA brands. (At least there was when the Roger devices came out. I hope someone will share that if they read this.)

Enjoy the convention. I'm not going this year, Too hard to leave the upper Midwest in the summer although I've done that many times. Enjoy and learn a lot.

NOTE: Not sure if you remember Mark Ross PhD/AuD who was on the national board when I was. He told me to use the neckloop with my hearing aids to listen to audiobooks for a year before I had the CI surgery. I am positive that helped me adjust to CI hearing faster as I was able to hear quite well in about a month. I'm still bimodal and it's working fine for me.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do. HLAA Conventions are definitely THE place to learn! Have fun too,

Julie

Jump to this post

Julie, thank you for your response and tips.

I hadn't heard that about doing Audiobooks prior to getting the CI. What is the theory behind that? I know that I need to be very diligent after activation with my aural rehab.

Mike

Using audio books with my telecoil equipped hearing aids brought sound to me clearly. It gave my ears more opportunity to listen effectively. However, one of my ears had been unaided so had 'sensory deprivation'. That is the ear that I had to bring 'back to life'. It is the ear I had my CI done on.

What was your reaction the first time you experienced a hearing loop system? I had that experience 20 years prior to getting my CI. It was a true 'ah ha' moment as I was able to hear a speaker at a banquet. I hadn't been able to hear in an environment like that for years. I spent the next 19 years listening with the telecoil in my single hearing aid while not stimulating the other ear. Evidently, my 'other ear' wasn't 'dead' it was just dormant. However, it was losing hearing just like the aided ear was even so.

We are all different. I believe I'm a perfect example why people should get hearing aids when they learn they have a hearing loss instead of putting it off for years, which so many do.

@joejill

I am so glad I found this site. My husband suffers from Ménière disease and has bilateral hearing loss. He wears hearing aids but for the most part still has a hard time. It has been very frustrating for him but also for me. I will say something to him and he will say 'I didn't hear you', I will repeat with a slightly louder tone and again get 'I didn't hear you' and repeat again louder and he will say 'stop yelling at me!' I know this is very hard for him but he doesn't realize the toll it takes on me also. Anymore I try not to talk because it always ends in the same way. I appreciate the recommendations I have found on this site and will try to have more patience and speak to him face to face with more pronounced and slower speaking. I hope it works as we are very quickly edging towards no communication at all. 🙁

Jump to this post

@joejill There's a saying among people who live with hearing loss. It is "When someone in a family has hearing loss, everyone in that family lives with hearing loss." It permeates our lives, especially spontaneously.

When I talk to others who are living with this invisible disability, I realize how patient my own spouse has been with me through 50+ years of marriage.

Now he has hearing loss himself. I have had to learn to be patient with him! I have always known about the challenges, but am experiencing them quite differently now. i have to remind myself to be patient not to talk from the other room, etc.

We made a decision a few years ago and decided to 'schedule' a time for communication each morning. We get away from the TV and enjoy our morning coffee together at a table. It works better when we go out. It can be McDonalds or a coffee shop. It gets us up, dressed and moving and the plus is having time to visit. It works for us.

Meniere's can be tough because it often involves vertigo. It helps to talk to others who are going through the same trials. Do you know if there is a chapter of The Hearing Loss Assn. of America in your area? HLAA brings people together to talk about 'it'. That can be very therapeutic. http://www.hearingloss.org

@joejill

Jump to this post

I have hearing loss along with tinnitus and as time goes by I find myself avoiding social situations where there are crowds or many people speaking. Hearing others in places where there are many speaking or lots of background noise causes me a great deal of stress, and speaking face to face or slower speaking doesn't help much in those situations. I regularly get my hearing aids adjusted, so I am trying to keep up with getting the best benefits from them as possible. And yes, I understand the yelling at me part....I admit I say that to my husband from time to time! My husband often ends up taking care of business and social interactions that I use to do, but can't do as well anymore because of my hearing loss - it isn't always easy for you who have to live with all of us that have hearing loss either.

I have had hearing loss and muffled hearing since I got sick in Oct 2022 , may have been covid. I have had ear tubes since Jan 2023 only 1 is functional. At this time I have an ear infection currently in the one with the tube. I am 50 years old and never had hearing issues in my life before this. I don’t feel I will ever get relief, I had a cat scan and mri done and only shows Ottis media in both ears all the time. Does anyone have any similar issues ?

Lisa

Please sign in or register to post a reply.