Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

Hi, Dave.

Auracast is a Bluetooth (5.2) technology used to "broadcast" a wireless signal to a small area for one or more users to receive (audio streaming). See also: https://www.bluetooth.com/auracast/ This can be accomplished anywhere, with an appropriate capable transmitter within smart phones, audio devices, etc. , by the interested parties.

T-coils are often promoted here and Auracast uses a similar principal, but T-coils require the venue in which you visit to broadcast this over radio waves (similar medium but different frequencies). Also, if you don't live in a metro area like myself, the T-coil offerings are slim to none, and I think Slim left town.

Hope this helps...

JustTodd

@julieo4

Telecoils are kind of like having 'binoculars for your ears'. They bring desired sound direct to your personal hearing devices. However, that 'desired sound' has to be projected via a microphone. That can be in a performing arts center, a meeting room, or even in your home. It can also be done via some simple devices you can use personally. Do you know what a Pocket Talker is?

Telecoils have been around for decades. They were created to use with landline phones. (Thus the name 'tele'coil.) Consequently, people in the hearing healthcare professions tend to diss them and call them 'old technology'. This is a shame because they can connect us to so much more now than they were originally developed for. Venues that have installed hearing loops that connect telecoils to the master PA system are creating communication access for millions of people with hearing loss. There are other ways to do that, but loops are the systems most preferred by the hard of hearing population that is in the know. You can find some good information at: http://www.hearingloop.org NOTE: Those 'other ways' are with FM technology and Infrared technology.

BlueTooth technology is newer. It works well with cell phones and can connect to other audio devices, but it cannot connect a room full of hearing aid users to a single sound system.

Maybe looking at the 'money aspect' answers a few questions. A telecoil adds virtually zero cost to a hearing device. BlueTooth can add $1000. What would you sell if you were making a living selling hearing instruments? Another thing to ponder is space within the hearing instrument. A telecoil is tiny, but it takes space. What is the focus on selling hearing instuments now? INVISIBLE, SMALL, No One will see it, etc. Really??

Telecoils often exist in hearing aids but are not activated by the provider. They have to be activated to function. ASK your provider if you have them and if you do, ask to have them activated. Then, insist that they show you how to use them. Chances are they might minimize their value and not have the means to share that information with you. Shame on them, The only way this changes is if the PEOPLE who use hearing instruments speak up.

That's my story about telecoils! I'm sticking to it!! 🙂 Auracast may be coming in the future, but it isn't here yet. Meanwhile, we want to hear NOW, not in a few years or more.

Jump to this post

Explain how Auracast may help for people who are reluctant to getting CI.
Are there any other options other than CI’s or hearing aids out there or on the horizon?
I just turned 73 and would give anything to recover even part of my hearing loss.
I look forward to hearing from you.

@daveshaw

Explain how Auracast may help for people who are reluctant to getting CI.
Are there any other options other than CI’s or hearing aids out there or on the horizon?
I just turned 73 and would give anything to recover even part of my hearing loss.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Jump to this post

It's important to understand that Auracast is not really here yet when it comes to hearing aids and cochlear implant processors.

There are lots of devices that work with telecoils. A personal neckloop costs around $50 and will connect with audio devices like radios, iPods, cell phones, FM transmitters in worship centers, theaters, meeting halls, etc. Plus the t-coil doesn't add cost to the hearing products. Most of us want to hear NOW, not 5-10 years from now. I sincerely hope you won't wait to get help.

I'm sorry you're reluctant to consider cochlear implants, especially when you say "I'd give anything to recover even part of my hearing loss". Most who have them say their only regret is not getting them sooner. Prior to getting my CI I was testing with less than 30% word recognition w/o my hearing aids and around 45% with them. With my CI and hearing aid working together my word recognition improved to 92%. Absolutely no regrets.

@julieo4

It's important to understand that Auracast is not really here yet when it comes to hearing aids and cochlear implant processors.

There are lots of devices that work with telecoils. A personal neckloop costs around $50 and will connect with audio devices like radios, iPods, cell phones, FM transmitters in worship centers, theaters, meeting halls, etc. Plus the t-coil doesn't add cost to the hearing products. Most of us want to hear NOW, not 5-10 years from now. I sincerely hope you won't wait to get help.

I'm sorry you're reluctant to consider cochlear implants, especially when you say "I'd give anything to recover even part of my hearing loss". Most who have them say their only regret is not getting them sooner. Prior to getting my CI I was testing with less than 30% word recognition w/o my hearing aids and around 45% with them. With my CI and hearing aid working together my word recognition improved to 92%. Absolutely no regrets.

Jump to this post

I think it is because I find them more noticeable than my Signia AX hearing aids which work in most situations though they could always work better.
In May my Humana Gold Plus Medicare plan is going to make the newest Signia IX platform available to me for $1,000 per aid for the top of the line new IX platform through TruHearing. My audiologist told me they are the exact same hearing aid as the Horizon IX and they are both made by Signia. Just like all new hearing aids they promise the moon but just a minor improvement would be life changing for me.
Have you heard much about them?
As always I welcome your input.

@daveshaw

I think it is because I find them more noticeable than my Signia AX hearing aids which work in most situations though they could always work better.
In May my Humana Gold Plus Medicare plan is going to make the newest Signia IX platform available to me for $1,000 per aid for the top of the line new IX platform through TruHearing. My audiologist told me they are the exact same hearing aid as the Horizon IX and they are both made by Signia. Just like all new hearing aids they promise the moon but just a minor improvement would be life changing for me.
Have you heard much about them?
As always I welcome your input.

Jump to this post

No, I know nothing about those hearing aids. My first hearing aids were fit in the 1970s. They've come a long, long way since then. But they are still 'aids' to hearing. They are not miracles, nor cures. Nor are cochlear implants. I still use one hearing aid with my CI. If/when I can use my telecoils with both my word recognition is close to 100%. With only one or the other it's far less as my brain has learned to mesh both technologies. If I could only use one though, it would be the CI.

The price you quote sounds fair. I hope they work well for you.

@julieo4

No, I know nothing about those hearing aids. My first hearing aids were fit in the 1970s. They've come a long, long way since then. But they are still 'aids' to hearing. They are not miracles, nor cures. Nor are cochlear implants. I still use one hearing aid with my CI. If/when I can use my telecoils with both my word recognition is close to 100%. With only one or the other it's far less as my brain has learned to mesh both technologies. If I could only use one though, it would be the CI.

The price you quote sounds fair. I hope they work well for you.

Jump to this post

Thanks. I will let you know once I try them.

@julieo4

Jump to this post

Julie,
I didn't realize the improvement in word recognition with a CI was that great. My current numbers are where yours were and I am considering a CI this summer. Was hoping to talk to a lot of people at the Convention as well as the vendors. Which CI did you go with and does it work well with ALD's (I have Roger On and partner mic). Thank you.

Mike

I have had tinnitus for 24 years after having a stroke, my hearing is finally getting worse, don't think a hearing aid will help!

@mikepa

Julie,
I didn't realize the improvement in word recognition with a CI was that great. My current numbers are where yours were and I am considering a CI this summer. Was hoping to talk to a lot of people at the Convention as well as the vendors. Which CI did you go with and does it work well with ALD's (I have Roger On and partner mic). Thank you.

Mike

Jump to this post

I have the Cochlear Americas Freedom implant that I received in 2005. Have updated the processor 3 times since then and each one is better than the last one.

The accessories that come with Cochlear Americas products are excellent. I use the mini mic often when in noisy settings. I'm sure you know that each CI brand is only compatible with a specific hearing aid. For Cochlear it's ReSound. So, the accessories also work with the ReSound hearing aids.

Phonak works with Advanced Bionics I believe. The Roger device is considerably more expensive than the mini mic. It may come with the AB implant though, I don't know. There is a streamer accessory from Phonak that allows usage with other CI and HA brands. (At least there was when the Roger devices came out. I hope someone will share that if they read this.)

Enjoy the convention. I'm not going this year, Too hard to leave the upper Midwest in the summer although I've done that many times. Enjoy and learn a lot.

NOTE: Not sure if you remember Mark Ross PhD/AuD who was on the national board when I was. He told me to use the neckloop with my hearing aids to listen to audiobooks for a year before I had the CI surgery. I am positive that helped me adjust to CI hearing faster as I was able to hear quite well in about a month. I'm still bimodal and it's working fine for me.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do. HLAA Conventions are definitely THE place to learn! Have fun too,

Julie

@afklasen2024

I have had tinnitus for 24 years after having a stroke, my hearing is finally getting worse, don't think a hearing aid will help!

Jump to this post

Why don't you think a hearing aid will help you?

I strongly recommend that you try hearing aids if your hearing is starting to decline. Get your hearing tested by an audiologist so you know what your audiogram looks like. Try hearing aids and use the trial period wisely. If there isn't an improvement take them back. Hearing aids are much improved in recent years, but they are not miracle cures. It takes some time to adjust to them, so don't have unrealistic expectations.

Talk to people you know who use hearing aids to get advice on providers. It's important to understand that there are differences in products and providers out there. Learning about successful experiences will help you know where to start.

Hearing loss can be isolating. Tinnitus is very commonly associated with hearing loss. Very few people who are hard of hearing escape having some degree of tinnitus.

Keep us posted.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.