Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

I wish there was a way to Edit our comments.

@anniebanannie

Jabra trial hearings are my new try and if no success, Phillips. Only trials as of now. Fingers are crossed and prayers.

Jump to this post

I hope they work but Jabral hearing aids and Phillips hearing are offered at Costco.
Phillips is just Oticon 3 year old technology.
You might have to go to a real Audiologist to get what you need if you have profound hearing loss like I do.
I might have an affordable solution for you depending on whether you are in Medicare.
Another solution would be to go to an Audiologist who will work with TruHearing. Google TruHearing and find out more about them.

@daveshaw

I hope they work but Jabral hearing aids and Phillips hearing are offered at Costco.
Phillips is just Oticon 3 year old technology.
You might have to go to a real Audiologist to get what you need if you have profound hearing loss like I do.
I might have an affordable solution for you depending on whether you are in Medicare.
Another solution would be to go to an Audiologist who will work with TruHearing. Google TruHearing and find out more about them.

Jump to this post

I did the audiologist trying Oticon but no better than my Rextons so I went back to Costco. I like their audiologist who works with me. He is good but so far the hearing aids aren’t there as of yet. I did fine at first before my hearing became worse. I can’t help but think in the ear sound and headphones can’t help but cause less ability to hear as I have to have loud in order to hear so more decibels going into ear to further hearing loss. Not sure but my own theory. They are so loud for me to halfway hear that others in the room and hear the tv. Not good. Thank you for your info. No I have not Medicare advantage as choose F no out of pocket plan. I chose to stay with it. I’m not sure it’s the right decision.

@bruceandruth1970

I encounter the same situations - very frustrating. Would you let me know which hearing aids you try. I have tried Octicon and Phonak but the clarity is not there if you are talking with more than one person.

Jump to this post

I’m trialing the Jabra hearing aids! So far no better! Than my Rexton! I tried through an audiologist the Icticons and was ready to purchase but changed my mind as I was still experiencing the lack of clarity! The audiologists were not as available as Costco is and they were way across town and I go to that end as rarely as possible at my age! I like Costco’s team! They are very available and so nice! My audiologist works very hard for me and truly cares! I’ll post my success once I’m done which may be weeks as it will be ongoing for quite a while I imagine! Thanks for your reply!

Darn I hate no editing available!

@anniebanannie

I did the audiologist trying Oticon but no better than my Rextons so I went back to Costco. I like their audiologist who works with me. He is good but so far the hearing aids aren’t there as of yet. I did fine at first before my hearing became worse. I can’t help but think in the ear sound and headphones can’t help but cause less ability to hear as I have to have loud in order to hear so more decibels going into ear to further hearing loss. Not sure but my own theory. They are so loud for me to halfway hear that others in the room and hear the tv. Not good. Thank you for your info. No I have not Medicare advantage as choose F no out of pocket plan. I chose to stay with it. I’m not sure it’s the right decision.

Jump to this post

Humana Gold Plus Medicare plan is something you should look in to. You could get top of the line hearing aids for $2,100 for the pair and I would definitely recommend ear molds.

@anniebanannie

I’m trialing the Jabra hearing aids! So far no better! Than my Rexton! I tried through an audiologist the Icticons and was ready to purchase but changed my mind as I was still experiencing the lack of clarity! The audiologists were not as available as Costco is and they were way across town and I go to that end as rarely as possible at my age! I like Costco’s team! They are very available and so nice! My audiologist works very hard for me and truly cares! I’ll post my success once I’m done which may be weeks as it will be ongoing for quite a while I imagine! Thanks for your reply!

Jump to this post

I sure hope you find some that I prove the clarity. Good luck. I’ll be anxious to hear your results.

@anniebanannie

Jump to this post

I have Plan F and will definitely stay with it.
I have wondered the same thing as you. The extra loudness in your ear can’t be good. My hearing has gotten worse since I have been wearing hearing aids.

@daveshaw

I am glad you liked my comment. I hope everyone in the group brings someone new to the group.
The more people the more we can learn about the latest advances being made in the hearing aid industry.
I am trying acupuncture this week because my audiologist said some of her clients reported some improvement in their hearing. I am not expecting much but even a slight improvement would be greatly appreciated.
I will share what I find out with the group.
There is strength in numbers and we need to reach as many people as we possibly can.

Jump to this post

I have not heard of using acupuncture. I’m glad you are going to share your results.

@daveshaw

As I said before the Signia AX are not there yet either.
Because of this group my next Signia IX hearing aids will have the telecoil feature. I don’t think she would have included that feature if I didn’t bring it up.
Thanks to everyone in the group for sharing their experiences.

Jump to this post

Would you please tell me more about telecoil.
Thank you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.