Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

@sandrajhunt

Hello everyone! I have a genetic hearing loss that became apparent in my 50s. Sadly I have passed it on to one of my three children. I am now 76 and the loss is moving into the “severe” range. I am currently wearing Oticon hearing aids. Based on a five year life span I have another two years with them. Has anyone found a brand that is better?

Jump to this post

I have genetic hearing loss too. I am very disappointed with my Oticon hearing aids. If anyone has found another brand that improves genetic hearing loss, I would like to know also.

Fast forward to today. I have a new set of ReSound hearing aids that are quite amazing. I do have moderate/severe hearing loss in both ears in the speech frequencies. The doctor and Audiologist are also going to fit me with noise reduction ear plugs that i can use in any setting to keep the precious hearing I still have and maintain it as much as possible from now on. I have a quite loud ring in my left ear that may or may not subside over time. They believe that my brain could lessen it as it hears the lost sounds coming back through the aids. I will have age related loss continue over time too so it’s a big deal to be smart all the time. The most odd/ interesting fact I learned is that Chickens are the only known animal to regenerate inner ear hair cells!

@mindy0443

Hello everybody! I'm Mindy and I have not been legally deaf my whole life, it started when I was 23yrs old. I started hearing ringing in my ears and then it sounded like people where speaking a different language(I couldn't understand them) Drs do not know what causes it but it's getting worse and worse

Jump to this post

Hi Mindy, Welcome to the hearing loss support group at MCC. There is a great deal to learn by connecting with others who experience hearing loss. You say your hearing loss started when you were 23 years old. I was about that age when mine was diagnosed also. Since that time many things have developed that have kept me in the hearing mainstream.

It's typical for hearing loss to be progressive, so in most cases it does get worse over time.

What are you doing to help yourself? Do you use hearing aids? If so, how are they working for you?

@billinwttn

Hi! I am in my 70's and feel it is time for hearing aids. I had some hearing loss while on active duty in the late 1960's. It is now at a point where I struggle to hear conversations in some situations. I am wondering if anyone has tried any of the new OTC (over the counter) hearing aids that have been made available this year?

Jump to this post

Before experimenting with OTC hearing aids, I suggest you get your hearing tested by a professional audiologist. That way you'll know how severe your hearing loss is. OTC aids are primarily for mild to moderate hearing loss. However, the term 'moderate' can be a bit confusing. as it leans towards 'severe'. If you're having difficulty in noisy social settings, you will want hearing aids that work in that environment. Success with prescriptive hearing aids has a great deal to do with the skill of the fitter. With OTC you simply fit them yourself. Lots to think about.

Obviously, worth a try if you can purchase a product that can be returned. Be sure to read all the fine print on the box so you know if that's an option. The jury is still out on OTC hearing aids. If you decide to try them, please share your experience with them.

@julieo4

Before experimenting with OTC hearing aids, I suggest you get your hearing tested by a professional audiologist. That way you'll know how severe your hearing loss is. OTC aids are primarily for mild to moderate hearing loss. However, the term 'moderate' can be a bit confusing. as it leans towards 'severe'. If you're having difficulty in noisy social settings, you will want hearing aids that work in that environment. Success with prescriptive hearing aids has a great deal to do with the skill of the fitter. With OTC you simply fit them yourself. Lots to think about.

Obviously, worth a try if you can purchase a product that can be returned. Be sure to read all the fine print on the box so you know if that's an option. The jury is still out on OTC hearing aids. If you decide to try them, please share your experience with them.

Jump to this post

Good points that I’ll keep in mind.

@billinwttn

Good points that I’ll keep in mind.

Jump to this post

I should have mentioned that you are entitled to a copy of your audiogram if/when you are tested by an audiologist. You may have to ask for that.

Hello, I am Barbara, and have hearing loss. I have a copy of my audiology test and was wondering if anyone has used the Costco hearing aid department. I am 80 and I don’t want to put out that much money. I would be happy to know of your experience. My hearing loss is moderate in both ears. I often have to ask people to repeat.

THIS IS THE ONE THING THAT COUNTS FOR YOU TO READ:
There is a lot more to hearing loss than: "you're deaf - get a hearing aid".

yes - I had sudden onset hearing loss and still have some loss, but nothing like before and working. on it - do not accept one pixel's worth of losing thinking - keep it to yourself, but stay strong for YOU in this.

YES - get the ENT overview...just tell him the truth and do not get negative about it.
Let him help as you can.

THINGS THAT MAY IMPACT HEARING:

Stress, diet, shock - the mind/body connection .
And your ears are connected to lots of things - a muscle swollen nearby can block the paths that need to flow free for hearing. I am not sure, but diabetes may do some of it....

Try alternating. heat/ice packs
.....really works, if the hearing annoyance caused swelling or physical offense.

I self healed - like a miracle - in my case a breast lump that was worsening.
SELF-HEALED ...doing this simply basic helper:
- diet, exercise, quality sleep, remove stressors, factor in positive thinking and happy experience. IN under 30 days you may experience improvement - in everything, including the hearing.....maybe enough to win thru.

THERE IS NO FULL ANSWER - SEEK IT LOVINGLY

Details about the basics :
- detox diet - from salt, suger, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and take other things you love that are better for you.
- Perfect the kind and amount of exercise
- Get extra hours of quality, non-drugged, sleep.
- you love your music but DO NOT go "hair of the dog" and try to fix the deafness by play ing more loud music or other loud noises for now. If you have some healing music, though...maybe super.
- Deal with the nerves and do relaxation breathing - win CALM
Get the ears normally cleaned and use recommended eardrops and cover them for sleep - I use my over-ear headset earcups...nice.

Your ears are human tissue - they can get "all banged up" - j
this is why the heat/ice, rest etc.... may heal it.

Part of my hearing loss was due to nearby injury - as that healed - the hearing improved.
I had a nightmare of it, since my first doctors were NOT nice - not interested in working with me on it - but once I safely navigagted them out of my life, improvement using the methods above began immediately.

So I am motivated to win over one more pain spot near the ear/neck area.
Today's bone/joint fixing doctors and treatments are miracle makers...doing it.

Good luck...if you are religious - prayer to the favorite saints for hearing that you can find may help, too! Google it.

@barbaraberman

Hello, I am Barbara, and have hearing loss. I have a copy of my audiology test and was wondering if anyone has used the Costco hearing aid department. I am 80 and I don’t want to put out that much money. I would be happy to know of your experience. My hearing loss is moderate in both ears. I often have to ask people to repeat.

Jump to this post

Barbara, a friend of mine just got Costco hearing aids he thought they were great. I got mine through my doctor they were much more expensive. Hearing aids are going to turn up the volume they do not help with clarity so much. Let the people know that your heart of hearing the sound closer to them or you’re in a quiet area that may help.

@julieo4

Jump to this post

Hi Julia, I am on that path to getting to see a CI and I was wondering if you know any people on Maio connect that have a CI that we might be able to just chatted back-and-forth about how they feel about it. Thanks Tina.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.