Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

Hi! I'm in my late 40s. I was diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder (severe) and mild central hearing loss in my mid-twenties. A couple years ago after brain surgery, (coincidence probably) I developed terrible tinnitus and then experienced additional hearing loss and now have moderate hearing loss in my left ear and wear hearing aids when I'm not at home. I am supposed to be screened for Meniere's disease but haven't done it yet.

I worry about my safety when I'm out at night alone going to/from my car because I can't hear if someone is approaching and feel very vulnerable. I'd love to hear how others deal with this challenge.

Obviously, when a human is available I ask them to walk me to/from my car but that's not always possible.

@tremblesstl

Hi! I'm in my late 40s. I was diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder (severe) and mild central hearing loss in my mid-twenties. A couple years ago after brain surgery, (coincidence probably) I developed terrible tinnitus and then experienced additional hearing loss and now have moderate hearing loss in my left ear and wear hearing aids when I'm not at home. I am supposed to be screened for Meniere's disease but haven't done it yet.

I worry about my safety when I'm out at night alone going to/from my car because I can't hear if someone is approaching and feel very vulnerable. I'd love to hear how others deal with this challenge.

Obviously, when a human is available I ask them to walk me to/from my car but that's not always possible.

Jump to this post

Hi @tremblesstl Welcome to Mayo Connect. I can imagine how uncomfortable walking at alone at night can be if you’re not able to hear well. I get creeped out with that and I don’t have hearing loss. Anytime I’m out at night or walking a trail alone, I have a small ‘personal use’ pepper spray can with me in my pocket that can spray up to 15 feet away. Probably gives gives me a false sense of security but at least I feel I have a modicum of defense if given the chance to use it.

There are several members like @julieo4 @imallears who also have hearing loss that can hopefully give you some ideas from their perspective.
Do you have pepper spray or a noise maker such as a whistle to carry?

@loribmt

Hi @tremblesstl Welcome to Mayo Connect. I can imagine how uncomfortable walking at alone at night can be if you’re not able to hear well. I get creeped out with that and I don’t have hearing loss. Anytime I’m out at night or walking a trail alone, I have a small ‘personal use’ pepper spray can with me in my pocket that can spray up to 15 feet away. Probably gives gives me a false sense of security but at least I feel I have a modicum of defense if given the chance to use it.

There are several members like @julieo4 @imallears who also have hearing loss that can hopefully give you some ideas from their perspective.
Do you have pepper spray or a noise maker such as a whistle to carry?

Jump to this post

I read once that "Men fear women will laugh at them. Women fear men will kill them." As a woman, I think a lot of men would be surprised how much of our time is consumed with doing things to "stay safe." I'm feeling it more than ever lately.

I have a whistle and of course practice all the standard safety tips and do my best to be "street smart" 🙂 I am going to get some gel spray so wind isn't a concern.

People who aren't doing anything wrong at all "sneak up" on me all the time. Since my new hearing loss and starting to wearing hearing aids I've felt more vulnerable than ever and it's definitely hampering my independence. I don't care for that at all. First the pandemic, now this. I'd like to feel safe to leave my house.

@tremblesstl

I have been wearing aids for 45 years at this point progressing from moderate to profound. I am older and retired but still practice basic safety practices. I don't drive or go to any places alone at night anymore
During the day...going from the car to a building ,my head is on swivel, walking swiftly and constantly looking around. I won't hear anyone behind me unless they are running. I am also at the stage where most sounds are difficult to locate re direction and identify the sound.
When I was working, I changed into sneakers or flats before going to the car.
Stayed away from alleys or driveways and did not hug any buildings. Even stuck at baseball cap on my head at times.
I think the most dangerous part is actually getting in and out of your car
I still do a circle around of my car before entering and make sure I am looking up and around not down before I get in. Always had my hands as free as I could except for the keys in the old days.
Unfortunately today's electronic keys light up the whole car so best not to do that until you are near the car.
I feel that you may be too afraid and that shows in how you walk and handle yourself. It's right to be aware and concerned but you can't be consumed by this. Even with someone else walking with you just be alert and sensible. I grew up in New York and worked during the great tri-state blackout. Coming home and walking 3 miles to our apartment and up 2 flights in a blackout was un nerving
I was thinking that a really loud horn type device might be handy to carry for those alone night forays to your car. Something to scare the bejesus out of someone that you could keep your finger on. I think I would be too flustered to use pepper spray properly or even a whistle.
I can't think of anything specific that hard of hearing or deaf people do that might be any different except we might be more aware of our surroundings.

FL Mary

@tremblesstl

I read once that "Men fear women will laugh at them. Women fear men will kill them." As a woman, I think a lot of men would be surprised how much of our time is consumed with doing things to "stay safe." I'm feeling it more than ever lately.

I have a whistle and of course practice all the standard safety tips and do my best to be "street smart" 🙂 I am going to get some gel spray so wind isn't a concern.

People who aren't doing anything wrong at all "sneak up" on me all the time. Since my new hearing loss and starting to wearing hearing aids I've felt more vulnerable than ever and it's definitely hampering my independence. I don't care for that at all. First the pandemic, now this. I'd like to feel safe to leave my house.

Jump to this post

I went to graduate school in my 40s/early 50s and requested a disabled parking pass from the university. It was denied. That was 20 years ago. I wonder if that might have changed. I know I would be more assertive now. Often I had to park a couple of blocks from the entrance and was inclined to swivel a bit while walking. There was no way I could have heard anyone coming up behind me.

You have every reason to be concerned. That is especially true if you live in an area where it's standard to feel unsafe.

I also suggest you have pepper spray with you and be alert to anything unusual going on in the area. There's no doubt that some places are safer than others. If someone will walk you to the car, take advantage of that. Stay alert. Wear your hearing aids.

Other than that, there really isn't much more you can do except to avoid being out in such situations which isn't practical in many cases.

Many of us can identify with the feelings you express.

@julieo4

I went to graduate school in my 40s/early 50s and requested a disabled parking pass from the university. It was denied. That was 20 years ago. I wonder if that might have changed. I know I would be more assertive now. Often I had to park a couple of blocks from the entrance and was inclined to swivel a bit while walking. There was no way I could have heard anyone coming up behind me.

You have every reason to be concerned. That is especially true if you live in an area where it's standard to feel unsafe.

I also suggest you have pepper spray with you and be alert to anything unusual going on in the area. There's no doubt that some places are safer than others. If someone will walk you to the car, take advantage of that. Stay alert. Wear your hearing aids.

Other than that, there really isn't much more you can do except to avoid being out in such situations which isn't practical in many cases.

Many of us can identify with the feelings you express.

Jump to this post

I have a disabled placard for other reasons. I feel like I have a flashing beacon that says "easy target" on me. My mobility is obviously affected. I am very hypervigilant and I live in a metro area that is known nationally for it's murder rate. I know which neighborhoods are safer than others, but obviously even that's not a promise. I guess i have to accept the risk or never leave the house. It just feels crappy.

Hi! I am in my 70's and feel it is time for hearing aids. I had some hearing loss while on active duty in the late 1960's. It is now at a point where I struggle to hear conversations in some situations. I am wondering if anyone has tried any of the new OTC (over the counter) hearing aids that have been made available this year?

@billinwttn

Hi! I am in my 70's and feel it is time for hearing aids. I had some hearing loss while on active duty in the late 1960's. It is now at a point where I struggle to hear conversations in some situations. I am wondering if anyone has tried any of the new OTC (over the counter) hearing aids that have been made available this year?

Jump to this post

If you’re a veteran you may qualify for audiology care at VA. Check with your Veterans Service Officer. They will help you with dealing with VA.

VA dispenses top-of-the-line hearing aids related devices.

The OTC hearing aids are for mild to moderate hearing loss only. You may be past that point already. If you try OTC hearing aids make certain they have a good return policy in case they don’t work out for you.

Hello everybody! I'm Mindy and I have not been legally deaf my whole life, it started when I was 23yrs old. I started hearing ringing in my ears and then it sounded like people where speaking a different language(I couldn't understand them) Drs do not know what causes it but it's getting worse and worse

Hello everyone! I have a genetic hearing loss that became apparent in my 50s. Sadly I have passed it on to one of my three children. I am now 76 and the loss is moving into the “severe” range. I am currently wearing Oticon hearing aids. Based on a five year life span I have another two years with them. Has anyone found a brand that is better?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.