Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

@funcountess

My gardners grandson was very hard of hearing, so bad his grades were failing. I tried to help the grandson, after many failed attempts the grandson went to Walmart, he bought over the counter amplifiers. Those are small hearing aids that just amplifies sound.
For him they worked very well. He’s now doing better.
He also went to an ear doctor, the doctor told him some medicines cause hearing loss.
Do not know if he was on any Rx.

Jump to this post

I hope your gardener's grandson is able to get appropriate testing for his hearing loss. Over the counter aids are not to be sold to children under age 18. It's important to have an appropriate diagnosis as hearing loss can be caused by conditions that can be remedied.

Yes, some medications can be 'ototoxic'. Hearing loss caused by ototoxic medications can be temporary or permanent. Most that cause permanent hearing loss are powerful antibiotics used to treat conditions that can't be treated in other ways. On the other hand, some are as simple as aspirin. Look up Ototoxic medications on Google.

I wonder if this young man is getting help and advice in his school?

I'm mainly after getting hearing aid users' assessments of the strengths and weaknesses of the hearing aids they have experience with.

Specifically, I'd like to find the best hearing aids for men with normal old age hearing loss, reaching 75 db loss in the 2000-4000 frequency range.

Hello-srwalker here. I’m a cochlear implant recipient after SNHL occurred progressively in both ears. Living life as a deaf adult is extremely hard, but I’ve no choice! Learning as I go! I’ve connected to other groups and have found some useful info. Hoping to continue to learn how others cope and deal with this world of ours.

@raferackstraw

I'm mainly after getting hearing aid users' assessments of the strengths and weaknesses of the hearing aids they have experience with.

Specifically, I'd like to find the best hearing aids for men with normal old age hearing loss, reaching 75 db loss in the 2000-4000 frequency range.

Jump to this post

The expertise of the person who fits you with hearing aids will have a great deal to do with how well they work with your particular hearing loss. We are all different. There are many brands of hearing aids that are high quality. Be sure to ask the provider to do 'real ear measurement' when fitting you. Keep us posted on how it goes.

@julieo4

The expertise of the person who fits you with hearing aids will have a great deal to do with how well they work with your particular hearing loss. We are all different. There are many brands of hearing aids that are high quality. Be sure to ask the provider to do 'real ear measurement' when fitting you. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Jump to this post

Dear Julie,

Thank you for responding.

You certainly are right in everything you day.

Fortunately for me, my hearing loss (so far!) appears to be a straightforward sort, and
the people at Costco for 25 years have been up to fitting me adequately.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I will let you know how it goes.

-- Walter

@raferackstraw

Dear Julie,

Thank you for responding.

You certainly are right in everything you day.

Fortunately for me, my hearing loss (so far!) appears to be a straightforward sort, and
the people at Costco for 25 years have been up to fitting me adequately.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I will let you know how it goes.

-- Walter

Jump to this post

Thankyou Walter. I know several people who are very pleased with hearing aids from Costco. The lengthy trial period they allow is a huge plus. Some Costco stores have degreed audiologists. Some don’t. The training they get is good regardless. It’s a whole different business model. Costco hearing aids used to be ‘locked’ so only Costco could reset or adjust them. I don’t think that’s true anymore. It’s an interesting business.

@srwalker

Hello-srwalker here. I’m a cochlear implant recipient after SNHL occurred progressively in both ears. Living life as a deaf adult is extremely hard, but I’ve no choice! Learning as I go! I’ve connected to other groups and have found some useful info. Hoping to continue to learn how others cope and deal with this world of ours.

Jump to this post

How are you doing with the cochlear implant? Are you bilateral or do you use a hearing aid in the other ear?

I'm deaf without my CI and HA, and struggle sometimes in noisy environments unless I'm using a streamer or other device that brings desired sound direct to my CI and HA. My social life continues, thanks to the technology available.

Do you use Zoom? There are several groups of people with CIs, hearing loss, etc. that meet on zoom with automatic captioning. Hearing other people's experiences helps a ton.

@julieo4

How are you doing with the cochlear implant? Are you bilateral or do you use a hearing aid in the other ear?

I'm deaf without my CI and HA, and struggle sometimes in noisy environments unless I'm using a streamer or other device that brings desired sound direct to my CI and HA. My social life continues, thanks to the technology available.

Do you use Zoom? There are several groups of people with CIs, hearing loss, etc. that meet on zoom with automatic captioning. Hearing other people's experiences helps a ton.

Jump to this post

I would love to hear more from those who have recently received the hybrid Coclear implants, as I will be going in this month to see if I qualify.

Hello. I recently decided to take my hearing loss seriously and, after having my hearing test completed and having gotten recommendations made by my audiologist about which Signia model to order, I am trying to decide exactly what to do next in order to decide on which hearing aid to get.

Has anyone been diagnosed with cochlear hydrops? It is progressive to deafness and could be sudden. So far I am at the moderate/severe hearing loss stage. One night I completely lost hearing in both ears then my hearing came back (with using Prednisone) the next day. So deafness is coming.
One ENT told me cochlear implants would not work for this condition. Another ENT told me he would “try them”.
I will be seeing a third ENT as I have recently moved to AZ. He will be the tie breaker.
Has anyone with this condition had cochlear implants? Was it successful?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.