Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@kimass1

In honesty I am a bit confused about the whole heavy metal thing too. But I’m going to keep researching and see what I can find. In the meantime all I’ve read leads me to believe it’s a safe supplement.

Jump to this post

You are my Florence Nightingale. You are making a difference for us with your research and sharing.

I had never heard of molybdenum before. I got this from wikipedia. Note the chronic ingestion of more than 10 mg daily and its affect.

Human metabolism and deficiency[edit]
Molybdenum is an essential trace dietary element.[76] Four mammalian Mo-dependent enzymes are known, all of them harboring a pterin-based molybdenum cofactor(Moco) in their active site: sulfite oxidase, xanthine oxidoreductase, aldehyde oxidase, and mitochondrial amidoxime reductase.[77] People severely deficient in molybdenum have poorly functioning sulfite oxidase and are prone to toxic reactions to sulfites in foods.[78][79] The human body contains about 0.07 mg of molybdenum per kilogram of body weight,[80] with higher concentrations in the liver and kidneys and lower in the vertebrae.[38] Molybdenum is also present within human tooth enamel and may help prevent its decay.[81]
Acute toxicity has not been seen in humans, and the toxicity depends strongly on the chemical state. Studies on rats show a median lethal dose (LD50) as low as 180 mg/kg for some Mo compounds.[82] Although human toxicity data is unavailable, animal studies have shown that chronic ingestion of more than 10 mg/day of molybdenum can cause diarrhea, growth retardation, infertility, low birth weight, and gout; it can also affect the lungs, kidneys, and liver.[83][84] Sodium tungstate is a competitive inhibitor of molybdenum. Dietary tungsten reduces the concentration of molybdenum in tissues.[38]
Low soil concentration of molybdenum in a geographical band from northern China to Iran results in a general dietary molybdenum deficiency, and is associated with increased rates of esophageal cancer.[85][86] Compared to the United States, which has a greater supply of molybdenum in the soil, people living in those areas have about 16 times greater risk for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.[87]
Molybdenum deficiency has also been reported as a consequence of non-molybdenum supplemented total parenteral nutrition (complete intravenous feeding) for long periods of time. It results in high blood levels of sulfite and urate, in much the same way as molybdenum cofactor deficiency. However (presumably since pure molybdenum deficiency from this cause occurs primarily in adults), the neurological consequences are not as marked as in cases of congenital cofactor deficiency.[88]

@mariannj

I had never heard of molybdenum before. I got this from wikipedia. Note the chronic ingestion of more than 10 mg daily and its affect.

Molybdenum is an essential trace dietary element.[76] Four mammalian Mo-dependent enzymes are known, all of them harboring a pterin-based molybdenum cofactor(Moco) in their active site: sulfite oxidase, xanthine oxidoreductase, aldehyde oxidase, and mitochondrial amidoxime reductase.[77] People severely deficient in molybdenum have poorly functioning sulfite oxidase and are prone to toxic reactions to sulfites in foods.[78][79] The human body contains about 0.07 mg of molybdenum per kilogram of body weight,[80] with higher concentrations in the liver and kidneys and lower in the vertebrae.[38] Molybdenum is also present within human tooth enamel and may help prevent its decay.[81]
Acute toxicity has not been seen in humans, and the toxicity depends strongly on the chemical state. Studies on rats show a median lethal dose (LD50) as low as 180 mg/kg for some Mo compounds.[82] Although human toxicity data is unavailable, animal studies have shown that chronic ingestion of more than 10 mg/day of molybdenum can cause diarrhea, growth retardation, infertility, low birth weight, and gout; it can also affect the lungs, kidneys, and liver.[83][84] Sodium tungstate is a competitive inhibitor of molybdenum. Dietary tungsten reduces the concentration of molybdenum in tissues.[38]
Low soil concentration of molybdenum in a geographical band from northern China to Iran results in a general dietary molybdenum deficiency, and is associated with increased rates of esophageal cancer.[85][86] Compared to the United States, which has a greater supply of molybdenum in the soil, people living in those areas have about 16 times greater risk for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.[87]
Molybdenum deficiency has also been reported as a consequence of non-molybdenum supplemented total parenteral nutrition (complete intravenous feeding) for long periods of time. It results in high blood levels of sulfite and urate, in much the same way as molybdenum cofactor deficiency. However (presumably since pure molybdenum deficiency from this cause occurs primarily in adults), the neurological consequences are not as marked as in cases of congenital cofactor deficiency.[88]

Jump to this post

Your research is a good reminder of how aware we need to be of supplements We can overdo. It will be interesting to read what dose those trying Molybdenum are taking. I'm grateful I don't need to experiment with this as the cilantro is working and I am unconcerned about it's side effects. Yet it's around 50% that report back that don't respond to cilantro, so I understand if they want to try this treatment.

@mariannj

Jump to this post

Thank you for the research! The woman who had success with MolyB suggests no more than 2 mg per day. I am starting with 1 and may work up to 2 if necessary but will monitor my bloodwork. Hopefully I will have good results but if not I’m back to Cilantro

I haven't posted here in a while, but some of you may remember my posts with pictures of my rashes. I'm a patient at Mayo clinic, and had several skin biopsies, with the last results stating, resemblance to Grovers disease. My last terrible bout was 1 yr ago (posted pics then). I was literally sick with chills and fatigue. This year, I'm doing great, with an occasional spotty rash, which I get under control with my prescription cream within 2-3 days...then I stop applying. I just want to mention, after my 5 years of this tormenting rash, I've tried too many alternatives for help, which nothing has worked..too much to mention here, but I have mentioned in past posts, if anyone is interested....home remedies, topicals, diet, and so on. I have also tried cilantro mentioned here...however, I wasn't experiencing anything severe with rashes. I find it baffling that this year, I've changed nothing...I'm outside in Florida heat, walking 2-3 miles, gardening, and more, and I'm doing just fine. I shower sweat off immediately, even 2x daily if needed, and mainly stick with Vanicream soap, moisturizer. No meds, no cilantro, no further changes in diet, an occasional application of prescription cream if needed. I just cant figure...neither can my drs. All said, looking at my past, it's very possible I may experience another severe outbreak...I just wish I knew what causes it. Appreciate the research and experiences here...hoping everyone finds a sure cure!!

@dazlin

I haven't posted here in a while, but some of you may remember my posts with pictures of my rashes. I'm a patient at Mayo clinic, and had several skin biopsies, with the last results stating, resemblance to Grovers disease. My last terrible bout was 1 yr ago (posted pics then). I was literally sick with chills and fatigue. This year, I'm doing great, with an occasional spotty rash, which I get under control with my prescription cream within 2-3 days...then I stop applying. I just want to mention, after my 5 years of this tormenting rash, I've tried too many alternatives for help, which nothing has worked..too much to mention here, but I have mentioned in past posts, if anyone is interested....home remedies, topicals, diet, and so on. I have also tried cilantro mentioned here...however, I wasn't experiencing anything severe with rashes. I find it baffling that this year, I've changed nothing...I'm outside in Florida heat, walking 2-3 miles, gardening, and more, and I'm doing just fine. I shower sweat off immediately, even 2x daily if needed, and mainly stick with Vanicream soap, moisturizer. No meds, no cilantro, no further changes in diet, an occasional application of prescription cream if needed. I just cant figure...neither can my drs. All said, looking at my past, it's very possible I may experience another severe outbreak...I just wish I knew what causes it. Appreciate the research and experiences here...hoping everyone finds a sure cure!!

Jump to this post

Not sure is lucky is the right word, as you have suffered greatly from GD, but I have read some only have one outbreak, thus the name Transient Acantholytic Dermatitis, TAD, aka Grover's Disease, GD. Auto-immune diseases are confounding, even ones considered incurable. 20 years ago I was diagnosed with CLL, the adult form of leukemia and told the good news was that its progress can be slower than other forms and I had 5-15 years. Without ever having treatment my blood-counts started improving after 12 years and at 15 years I was clear off all the cancerous lymphocytes and all other blood counts normal. No other markers. My oncologist won't say I no longer have the disease, saying there is no cure, so he calls it pre-leukemia. The point is our bodies can surprise us. You give us hope we might also have our GD go dormant or disappear forever. Sounds like you are taking advantage of your healthy skin and able to enjoy your summer.

@kimass1

HI All! I have been doing a little more researching and with the help of another blogger, I have come across another possible "remedy" for Grover's disease. I first read of it on the earthclinic website. (which is where I found out about the cilantro) It is a supplement called Molybdendum. On earthclinic, the author stated that he had Grover's Disease and after taking 1000 mg a day he was no longer troubled with it. However, he was the ONLY person on the site making this claim, so I dismissed it. But, another blogger on the Grover's Disease Support Group FB page is now making the same claim and has posted some studies featuring the connection between mercury toxicity, candida and Grover's. In a nutshell, the studies show that Mercury damages the basement membrane of the skin! Mercury also feeds Candida...which produces the very toxic/neurotoxic acetaldehyde...which is detoxed by Molybdenum. She hypothesizes that " If we are mercury toxic, then we are also probably acetaldehyde toxic" and her Grovers went away with Molybdendum supplementation. Cilantro also is a Mercury/heavy metal chelator. So there MAY be a connection and this could also be a viable solution for those who may not have had complete success with the cilantro. OR could be an alternative to the cilantro. I am not 100% certain of any of this information. But the author is convinced of it. Many people on the FB page are jumping on the bandwagon and are to report back their findings. I will keep you posted as I hear more. I am also giving it a try. I got my first bottle today. I will be the guinea pig for us. I have not ingested the cilantro for two days and will stay off of it for the next 30 days while I try out the Molybdendum. A lot of the members of the FB page also have similar rashes to the one I have in addition to the red papules. My red papules and SEVERE itching went away with Cilantro and I was completely rash free for over a month but then little by little I began getting a hives like rash that travels and has been bothersome. I think it may be part of the GD even though my derms state otherwise. But the GD rashes described by some of the people posting on this FB page vary, and mine could very well be just the Grover's in one of it's many forms??? Who knows. But I do know that it is up to us to collectively figure this out since no dermatologists seem to care enough to do so. Once again, I'll keep you posted and wish me luck! If it doesn't work, I will quickly go back to cilantro, since it has been a godsend for me and so many others.

Jump to this post

Thank you for post. I am going to try the Cilantro. Nothing else has made a dent into my full blown Grover’s outbreak diagnosed in mid summer. I’m desperate!

@july4

Thank you for post. I am going to try the Cilantro. Nothing else has made a dent into my full blown Grover’s outbreak diagnosed in mid summer. I’m desperate!

Jump to this post

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I was diagnosed in January, started cilantro in February and now symptom free as of August. Good luck!

@kimass1

Thank you for the research! The woman who had success with MolyB suggests no more than 2 mg per day. I am starting with 1 and may work up to 2 if necessary but will monitor my bloodwork. Hopefully I will have good results but if not I’m back to Cilantro

Jump to this post

Welp, I went off the cilantro and on to MollyB for a little over a week. Big mistake for ME! The itching and bumps started coming back. Now I am playing catch up and back on the cilantro. I am hoping it goes back to the way it was before I went off. Cilantro has been my best remedy so far!

Grover's Disease Support Group is the Facebook site I checked out. Those poor people are just floundering. I encourage all of you to help them. I keep trying to refer them to this site. They have posted many photos also. Many of them won't try cilantro because they hate the taste. Been there but learned to love the smoothies because of everything I learned on this site. I cannot ever express to you how much I appreciate what this group has done for me. To think I believed monsters were trying to crawl out of my skin with itching painful claws! Yup, that is how it felt.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.