Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@impatient

Anyone here had any luck with topical Vitamin D creams? Pros, cons?

Jump to this post

It didn't hurt or help. No topical or over the counter prescripion helped. Frogger and I, plus other's experimented with cilantro starting back in Feb 2019. I'm still clear today and only resume fresh or fresh frozen blended cilantro every few months for 3-4 days if I notice one or 2 itchy spots on torso that if scratched, scab and don't heal as fast as they should. Yet my GD was not only itchy, but painful. These are only mildly itchy and not painful and do heal to where the scab falls off permanently in few weeks. When broken out with GD if scratched scabs never healed until the breakout cycle was over. The scabs stayed, one year during initial outbreak and then subsequent outbreaks lasted 6 months, with 6 months of dormancy. No outbreak since I was cleared of GD after 6 months of blended cilantro. Most only used cilantro for 2-3 months. I was improving after a month: pain and itching noticeably better and by 3 months noticeably healing but was afraid to stop ingesting cilantro for 6 months when all I had left were some old painless and itch free scabs that clung on. If scratched off they would re-appear. It took almost a year for my front and back upper and lower torsos to be clear. It took even longer for my skin not to be hypersensitive, but it's normal now. Be hopeful but it seems cilantro, which is a heavy metal detox, only helps about 40% of us.

I have had Grover’s disease for almost 2 years, diagnosed with two punch biopsies. I tried everything standard and many other experimental treatments like ipl laser, chemical peel, dapsone gel, going off sugar and diary and an at home blue light therapy. The only things that temporarily got rid of the red bumps were the ipl and topical steroid. After a year of the steroid cream my skin started to thin and turn lobster red and the rash was spreading up onto my face. I decided to quit the steroid for good and was desperate for another option. I had read that some people had great success with cilantro smoothies but had dismissed it as anecdotal. BIG MISTAKE! It works!!! I have been doing a smoothie every day for two weeks and only have one spot left. On week two I added Chlorella tablets too and that accelerated the improvement more rapidly. The itching and ruddy color is gone. Each day is a little better. Thank goodness I took a before and after picture. I had to share for all those other people out there who haven’t tried cilantro. I hope this helps others.

@gardeningjunkie

It didn't hurt or help. No topical or over the counter prescripion helped. Frogger and I, plus other's experimented with cilantro starting back in Feb 2019. I'm still clear today and only resume fresh or fresh frozen blended cilantro every few months for 3-4 days if I notice one or 2 itchy spots on torso that if scratched, scab and don't heal as fast as they should. Yet my GD was not only itchy, but painful. These are only mildly itchy and not painful and do heal to where the scab falls off permanently in few weeks. When broken out with GD if scratched scabs never healed until the breakout cycle was over. The scabs stayed, one year during initial outbreak and then subsequent outbreaks lasted 6 months, with 6 months of dormancy. No outbreak since I was cleared of GD after 6 months of blended cilantro. Most only used cilantro for 2-3 months. I was improving after a month: pain and itching noticeably better and by 3 months noticeably healing but was afraid to stop ingesting cilantro for 6 months when all I had left were some old painless and itch free scabs that clung on. If scratched off they would re-appear. It took almost a year for my front and back upper and lower torsos to be clear. It took even longer for my skin not to be hypersensitive, but it's normal now. Be hopeful but it seems cilantro, which is a heavy metal detox, only helps about 40% of us.

Jump to this post

I've not been diagnosed with Grover's disease, but do have problems with generalized itching, rosacea and skin bumps that itch. I think I'd like to try the cilantro smoothie -- can you send the recipe? Would appreciate so much. I try to eat healthy but sometimes it is difficult. Thanks.
carlissa0701@gmail.com

To begin with I put 1/2 bunch of cilantro in my normal morning smoothie made with frozen banana and blueberry pieces, almond milk, probiotic plain yogurt, a raw egg plus a low dose of collagen power (I learned a full dose of bovine collagen gave me a stomach ache, too much fiber). I tried for months to accept the taste of cilantro in the smoothie, thinking I could train myself to like it. I gave up putting in in because it ruined my delicious smoothie taste. So I'd make my tastely smoothie, empty out the blender and blend up 1/2 bunch of cilantro with 1/2 cup of water and chug that down like a tonic.
Frozen cilantro worked just as well. Initially I tried cilantro oil tablet but didn't get any relief.

@guynneth

I have had Grover’s disease for almost 2 years, diagnosed with two punch biopsies. I tried everything standard and many other experimental treatments like ipl laser, chemical peel, dapsone gel, going off sugar and diary and an at home blue light therapy. The only things that temporarily got rid of the red bumps were the ipl and topical steroid. After a year of the steroid cream my skin started to thin and turn lobster red and the rash was spreading up onto my face. I decided to quit the steroid for good and was desperate for another option. I had read that some people had great success with cilantro smoothies but had dismissed it as anecdotal. BIG MISTAKE! It works!!! I have been doing a smoothie every day for two weeks and only have one spot left. On week two I added Chlorella tablets too and that accelerated the improvement more rapidly. The itching and ruddy color is gone. Each day is a little better. Thank goodness I took a before and after picture. I had to share for all those other people out there who haven’t tried cilantro. I hope this helps others.

Jump to this post

I'm thrilled for you!!!

@gardeningjunkie

To begin with I put 1/2 bunch of cilantro in my normal morning smoothie made with frozen banana and blueberry pieces, almond milk, probiotic plain yogurt, a raw egg plus a low dose of collagen power (I learned a full dose of bovine collagen gave me a stomach ache, too much fiber). I tried for months to accept the taste of cilantro in the smoothie, thinking I could train myself to like it. I gave up putting in in because it ruined my delicious smoothie taste. So I'd make my tastely smoothie, empty out the blender and blend up 1/2 bunch of cilantro with 1/2 cup of water and chug that down like a tonic.
Frozen cilantro worked just as well. Initially I tried cilantro oil tablet but didn't get any relief.

Jump to this post

I found that a whole banana in my smoothie almost eliminated the taste of cilantro. I think(pray) that over time g. d. dissipates. I’m pretty much free of itching. Every now and then it pops up, but very small patches and ice and by Zostrix take care of it pretty quickly.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I appreciate it and you.

Hello,
My dermatologist think I have Hailey Hailey disease. By the biopsy results are Grover or acantolytic dermathosis, and HDD. I heard it is similar to phemphigus also.
I’m thinking if at the microscope are similar, the nature and mechanism of these 3 illnesses must be similar.
A couple of weeks ago, I was super sick, she prescribed naltrexone low dose, cyprofloxacine (antibiotic this is strong, I’m resistant at many antibiotic because they gave me those for long periods), glycopirrolate (anti-sweating, my wounds come with tears of secretions, and secretion infects the area), I had a superimposed virus and it was so painful. I attached one pic of a wound.

I received oral and topical prednisone, gentamicin…
Now, I’ll continue with the previous ones except the antibiotics, and an addition of methotrexate, magnesium, and folic acid.
The truth is I’m few better after that “dangerous” cocktail. Many side effects.

I’m starting whole30diet, and I’m feeling better trying with my food.

I’ll try for sure the cilantro cocktail.

Thank you for sharing.
Angela

@angelita1

Hello,
My dermatologist think I have Hailey Hailey disease. By the biopsy results are Grover or acantolytic dermathosis, and HDD. I heard it is similar to phemphigus also.
I’m thinking if at the microscope are similar, the nature and mechanism of these 3 illnesses must be similar.
A couple of weeks ago, I was super sick, she prescribed naltrexone low dose, cyprofloxacine (antibiotic this is strong, I’m resistant at many antibiotic because they gave me those for long periods), glycopirrolate (anti-sweating, my wounds come with tears of secretions, and secretion infects the area), I had a superimposed virus and it was so painful. I attached one pic of a wound.

Now, I’ll continue with the previous ones except the antibiotics, and an addition of methotrexate, magnesium, and folic acid.

Thank you for sharing.
Angela

Jump to this post

Your rash looked nothing like my GD. I so hope that can identify your dermatitis and treat it. Cilantro works as a heavy metal detox so even if it doesn't help your symtoms it will detox heavy metals from your body.

@angelita1

Hello,

Thank you for sharing.
Angela

Jump to this post

I just looked at pictures of Hailey Hailey disease and many showed plaque like rashes like you shared with us.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.