Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@margie1915

I am seeing lots of comments about cilantro. Can someone tell me about it? How to take it..how much?

Jump to this post

Hey margie1915. I use half a bunch of cilantro, which comes wrapped with a wire tie. Push it into blender cup. pour in some mango juice and blend. I'll also add some blueberries, which I normally have on hand. I use 'Mighty Mango' which is located in a refrigerated section in my supermarkets produce section. Mango seems to compliment the flavor/taste of the cilantro, for me anyway. My finished product usually comes out the color of pea soup, that is dark green. I pop in a few ice cubes to cool & thin. I would also like to add, make sure you have a blender that is up to the task. I just got a Ninja brand with a smoothie button for $79 at BJ's. No more splitting out wads of cilantro (gross). It runs, stops & runs again till all traces of cilantro are completely emulsified....love it! Good luck

@margie1915

I am seeing lots of comments about cilantro. Can someone tell me about it? How to take it..how much?

Jump to this post

Google cilantro as a heavy metal detox. Heavy metal accumulates in our bodies. Blood can be chelated medically, filtered and metals taken out, or simple enough, do it it naturally at home. Other herbs like oregano and parsley among others are used. My blood had been tested for allergies to metals and I happen to be allergic to nickel, aluminum and 3 other less common metals, so I wonder if that is why detoxing them from my body helped me.
Heavy metals are tied to Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and Grover's Disease. Even if detoxing from heavy metals doesn't help you it seems it helps about 40% of us, it will benefit you to have the heavy metals removed to prevent other diseases.

@bjwilliams

I had a similar experience except that my GD began in August 2022. I began thinking it was an allergy and consulted an allergist, who prescribed a quadruple dose of Zyrtec. It did absolutely nothing, couldn't even tell that I was taking it. I saw a dermatologist who diagnosed Grover's and prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment which at first helped with the itching but became less and less effective. I suffered for over five months using various OTC meds for the unrelenting itch: Biofreeze, Sarna, Witch Hazel, aloe/menthol/camphor concoctions, etc. Finally, I saw a second dermatologist. He prescribed the two-week diminishing dose of Prednisone as well as a double dose of Zyrtec. He explained that the Prednisone should "reset" my immune response and that the Zyrtec might take over after two weeks. The itching stopped almost immediately. My two weeks on Prednisone ended a week ago, and the itch has not returned. (I experienced some unpleasant side effects from the Zyrtec, however, and had to replace it with Allegra.) So far so good. Note that this does NOT involve long-term use of Prednisone which is, indeed, dangerous.

Jump to this post

Hi my GD also started in August of 2022 and has gotten progressively worse. Nights are by far the worst. Itching is unbearable. The only thing that helped was a short term dose of steroids and then it came back. How much Zyrtec were you taking? Not sure if there is a connection with red wine, bc I really enjoy it. 🙂
I just stared taking cilantro pills 425mg once a day. So far no change. Difficult to go to work after not sleeping at night. I keep waiting to hear success stories but they don’t seem to be out there. Good luck with your GD

@topper1

Hi my GD also started in August of 2022 and has gotten progressively worse. Nights are by far the worst. Itching is unbearable. The only thing that helped was a short term dose of steroids and then it came back. How much Zyrtec were you taking? Not sure if there is a connection with red wine, bc I really enjoy it. 🙂
I just stared taking cilantro pills 425mg once a day. So far no change. Difficult to go to work after not sleeping at night. I keep waiting to hear success stories but they don’t seem to be out there. Good luck with your GD

Jump to this post

I was taking two 24-hour Zyrtec capsules per day, one in the morning and one at night. I found that I could not take them when on a high dose of prednisone (4 and 3 pills a day) because I was anxiety-ridden and confused, but I started Zyrtec again when my prednisone dose dropped to 2 pills a day on day 9. The side effects were still bad, but bearable. I figured it was the combination of prednisone and Zyrtec that was causing the problem, but when I finished the prednisone I still reacted badly to the Zyrtec. I told my doctor, and he switched me to Allegra. I'm suffering no side effects now. Starting yesterday, I'm experiencing some mild itching, but I've been able to ignore it. I've been having cilantro smoothies for breakfast for over three months. I can't tell if it's helping. And that's where I am after six months of Grover's!

@gardeningjunkie

Bad news it 's returning, you and I have the similar profiles and results from cilantro smoothies. Like many others I guess I need to return to a having smoothies at least once a month to pull out the new heavy metals. I'm still symptom free. I did drink the smoothies longer than you once I went into remission after drinking them about a month, then it still took months for old break out to heal the old scabs for months. It took about 6 months for al l the scabs to fall off. I drank them from mid March 2019 until mid Dec 2019 daily. Thanks for the update and warning.

Jump to this post

How much coriander do you put in your daily smoothie?

@woody92354

Hey margie1915. I use half a bunch of cilantro, which comes wrapped with a wire tie. Push it into blender cup. pour in some mango juice and blend. I'll also add some blueberries, which I normally have on hand. I use 'Mighty Mango' which is located in a refrigerated section in my supermarkets produce section. Mango seems to compliment the flavor/taste of the cilantro, for me anyway. My finished product usually comes out the color of pea soup, that is dark green. I pop in a few ice cubes to cool & thin. I would also like to add, make sure you have a blender that is up to the task. I just got a Ninja brand with a smoothie button for $79 at BJ's. No more splitting out wads of cilantro (gross). It runs, stops & runs again till all traces of cilantro are completely emulsified....love it! Good luck

Jump to this post

How often do you have this smoothie?

@fitz19

How often do you have this smoothie?

Jump to this post

hey fitz19, I try and have one a day around 11 a.m. or so. Eat a very small breakfast around 0800 and have the smoothie late morning, in place of lunch. I rarely miss a day, but on occasion I'm not home, so I go without. I've come to like them in place of a meal. Down about 20# in three weeks by cutting out any extra sugar. I know the Mango juice I use is full of sugar but haven't found any other medium. Certainly, milk or water won't work. What do others use? Once a day to answer your question...

@topper1

Jump to this post

I've been advised by my dermatologist and by a contributor to this forum that any type of alcohol opens the blood vessels near the surface of the skin (hence the nice warm flush) which allows more blood and thereby more histamines to the skin which aggravates the GD rash and itching. Very unfortunate! It was further explained that heat also bringing blood with histamines to the surface of the skin, such as a hot shower, warm clothing or warm bedding.

@fitz19

How much coriander do you put in your daily smoothie?

Jump to this post

1/2 bunch fresh or fresh frozen. In all my blogging I have only read from one person that cilantro oil or pills helped.
I also wonder how advanced the breakout is for cilantro to help?
I was only one month into a recurring outbreak when I started using cilantro for the first time, (my pattern for years was 6 months of outbreak with 6 months of remission, except the first outbreak lasted one full year).

@olddog

I've been advised by my dermatologist and by a contributor to this forum that any type of alcohol opens the blood vessels near the surface of the skin (hence the nice warm flush) which allows more blood and thereby more histamines to the skin which aggravates the GD rash and itching. Very unfortunate! It was further explained that heat also bringing blood with histamines to the surface of the skin, such as a hot shower, warm clothing or warm bedding.

Jump to this post

Very helpful information. I did know that when my Allergic Contact Dermatitis was active on my hands it brought such please to run warm/hot water over my rash, but then I paid a price because the itching and pain returned within a few seconds, but sometimes it was worth it to get temporary relief. I hadn't made the connection to the fact heat brought the histamines to the surface.
What made a difference for me in dropping my overall inflammation for all my types of eczema, was a few months before I tried cilantro, I had given up all processed sugar and at that time had given up even natural sugar in fruit. I did a zero-sugar detox, along with a gluten detox for 3 months. This starves out the yeast residing in our intestines which feeds on sugar and its' waste transfers though our intestinal lining and into our bloodstream raising our histamines. This required incredible will power, 95% harder than stopping alcohol for me. I never was overweight or thought I ate much processed sugar, sure I ate an occasional dessert a few days a week, but it's in so many of our processed foods. This detox stopped the incredible internal skin pain which felt like taser jolts 24/7 driving me to consider suicide because of the misery and lack of sleep. Now 4 years off of processed sugar these sensations haven't returned. I learned this from The Yeast Connection Handbook, William Crooke, Md, mind you I had no external yeast symptoms.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.