Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@hawkssr

What dose of prednisone are you doing? When my symptoms first started with spreading rash and itching my MD had me try Medrol 4 MG which did nothing so was referred to dermatologist. Two different dermatologists so far and I seem to know more about GD than they do. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Thank you!

Jump to this post

I was on a 10mg 6 day for three days then 5 for three days and so on till decreasing by one till done, 18 days. By day 3 no itching by the end almost all bumps and lesions gone. Some came back a few weeks later but not nearly as much itching.

@pitbuell

I was on a 10mg 6 day for three days then 5 for three days and so on till decreasing by one till done, 18 days. By day 3 no itching by the end almost all bumps and lesions gone. Some came back a few weeks later but not nearly as much itching.

Jump to this post

Thank you! 🤞

As you've probably read by now, there really isn't a cure for GD, only a bunch of creams, etc that help some people and no one reacts the same. Some of the treatments we tried were at my request from reading about it on this site. For me the only cream that gave me some relief was Clobetasol, but being a steroid it can't be used constantly. I've suffered for over a year, head to toe and scratched until I bleed leaving me with scars that may never disappear. About 6 months ago my dermatologist tried Prednisone for an approximate 3 week period. It gave me nearly instant relief until I was down to 2 pills a day and I started to itch once again. Since it had somewhat helped, we tried again and so far so good. I'm taking 10 mg tablets: 7 days-4 tabs, 7 days-3 tabs, 14 days-2 tabs, 14 days-1 tab and then 1 tab every other day for 3 weeks. Right now I'm starting the 1 tab every other day and still don't itch. Maybe it did reset my immune system or maybe I was entering a remission period anyway and this just helped me get there. I know it never really goes away and could come back at any time, but for now I don't itch and I'm doing everything to help heal my skin before it all comes back again. I'll post again as I complete my treatment and whether I start to itch again. Please keep up posted on how you are doing.

@hawkssr

On my initial flare up and diagnoses for GD I was prescribed this cream and it worked very well. The flare up I’m having this time the cream has not helped at all and I don’t eat fish. The itching is the worse, pretty much constant, on a GD forum and have tried just about all recommendations but nothing helping this last flare 😫

Jump to this post

Being recently diagnosed myself, this past flare up was so intense. I was literally driving myself mad trying to find relief. I am 2 weeks in on a 4 week prednisone treatment (had to fight for a prescription), while also on my 2nd month of doxycycline. The Triamcinolone Aceetonide Cream did nothing for me. I also use OTC Sarna cream that many have talked about on here. The cooling effect helps take your mind off the itchiness. I will sometimes have to apply it more than once, but it does help. I have also started red light therapy sessions. At least 3-4 times a week for 15 min sessions. Lukewarm showers with using Dove Anti-stress body wash and loofah works well for me and I use an in shower moisturizing lotion before drying off.

I feel like I have thrown everything that I can at this and am kinda scared as to how things will be when the steroids are completed. But I also feel like stress is one of my triggers and the week my flare up started, I was under immense stress with my job. I have been less stressed feeling since Thanksgiving, so I feel like that has helped as well with my response to everything I am doing.

With this disease being nearly unheard of, I feel like I have to do all I can. I am going to see a new dermatologist this coming week. Not sure what to expect since I am responding well to all that I am doing, but hoping for a better supporting dr.

@kbhga74

Being recently diagnosed myself, this past flare up was so intense. I was literally driving myself mad trying to find relief. I am 2 weeks in on a 4 week prednisone treatment (had to fight for a prescription), while also on my 2nd month of doxycycline. The Triamcinolone Aceetonide Cream did nothing for me. I also use OTC Sarna cream that many have talked about on here. The cooling effect helps take your mind off the itchiness. I will sometimes have to apply it more than once, but it does help. I have also started red light therapy sessions. At least 3-4 times a week for 15 min sessions. Lukewarm showers with using Dove Anti-stress body wash and loofah works well for me and I use an in shower moisturizing lotion before drying off.

I feel like I have thrown everything that I can at this and am kinda scared as to how things will be when the steroids are completed. But I also feel like stress is one of my triggers and the week my flare up started, I was under immense stress with my job. I have been less stressed feeling since Thanksgiving, so I feel like that has helped as well with my response to everything I am doing.

With this disease being nearly unheard of, I feel like I have to do all I can. I am going to see a new dermatologist this coming week. Not sure what to expect since I am responding well to all that I am doing, but hoping for a better supporting dr.

Jump to this post

So the prednisone is working for your itching? What mg are you taking? Thank you 😊

@sophiep

As you've probably read by now, there really isn't a cure for GD, only a bunch of creams, etc that help some people and no one reacts the same. Some of the treatments we tried were at my request from reading about it on this site. For me the only cream that gave me some relief was Clobetasol, but being a steroid it can't be used constantly. I've suffered for over a year, head to toe and scratched until I bleed leaving me with scars that may never disappear. About 6 months ago my dermatologist tried Prednisone for an approximate 3 week period. It gave me nearly instant relief until I was down to 2 pills a day and I started to itch once again. Since it had somewhat helped, we tried again and so far so good. I'm taking 10 mg tablets: 7 days-4 tabs, 7 days-3 tabs, 14 days-2 tabs, 14 days-1 tab and then 1 tab every other day for 3 weeks. Right now I'm starting the 1 tab every other day and still don't itch. Maybe it did reset my immune system or maybe I was entering a remission period anyway and this just helped me get there. I know it never really goes away and could come back at any time, but for now I don't itch and I'm doing everything to help heal my skin before it all comes back again. I'll post again as I complete my treatment and whether I start to itch again. Please keep up posted on how you are doing.

Jump to this post

Thanks! I really don’t want to go on prednisone but I’m at a point where my itching is out of control and consumes my life so I’m going to see if I can get some.

I have been using Avene XeraCalm cream.

@pitbuell

I have been using Avene XeraCalm cream.

Jump to this post

Unfortunately this does nothing for my itching, but what doesn’t work for one will work for another and vice versa. Such a frustrating disease!

@hawkssr

Unfortunately this does nothing for my itching, but what doesn’t work for one will work for another and vice versa. Such a frustrating disease!

Jump to this post

Allegra helps with the itching or any anti histamine

@pitbuell

Allegra helps with the itching or any anti histamine

Jump to this post

I finally quit the antihistamines too. Used OTC and prescribed but did not notice any improvement after more than a month except for some drowsiness. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Please sign in or register to post a reply.