Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@lioness

@gingerw Oh Enjoy the new change of seasons they are refreshing .Take care

Jump to this post

@lioness I so agree with the changing of the seasons to be refreshing!!! I have gotten all of my houseplants in and it feels so comfy to have them back indoors. I am grateful to still be able to do so-even if at a slower pace.
Had the 2 cervical rhizotomies and starting to feel some improvement. Also grateful for some relief. Taking it slow.
@gingerw I am not so sure about the cooler temps being refreshing as the coolness does increase the pain. I am grateful for my little habitat filled with the things that help keep me sane (?).
Trying to do some catching up but it is slow going. I have missed feasting at the cyber-table.

@parus

@lioness I so agree with the changing of the seasons to be refreshing!!! I have gotten all of my houseplants in and it feels so comfy to have them back indoors. I am grateful to still be able to do so-even if at a slower pace.
Had the 2 cervical rhizotomies and starting to feel some improvement. Also grateful for some relief. Taking it slow.
@gingerw I am not so sure about the cooler temps being refreshing as the coolness does increase the pain. I am grateful for my little habitat filled with the things that help keep me sane (?).
Trying to do some catching up but it is slow going. I have missed feasting at the cyber-table.

Jump to this post

@parus I have missed you! Glad to hear your procedures are giving you some relief.
We have our first freeze warnings scheduled for tomorrow night. Today I need to move my succulents in under the cover, to try to save them! Last year several did not survive the move from Southern California into this weather. These guys have been with me for years, and are the only things that have survived my abuse and general neglect - true survivors! They are mostly rescued plants.
Like you said, the cooler temps pronounce my pain more, but once I get moving, not having to deal with the heat gives me more energy. Not too much left on my rock hauling project, then I will be starting on splitting wood with our hydraulic man-powered splitter. They just lifted our burning ban, so there is slash to get rid of, also.
Ginger

@parus

Jump to this post

Hi @parus! Good to see you today. I've missed you at the cyber table. All the best with continued recovery and rehab.

@parus

Jump to this post

So happy to hear from you, @parus! Glad to know that you are doing better. You are certainly one of Connect's gems. Drop by whenever you can. I look forward to hearing from you again.

@colleenyoung

Hi @parus! Good to see you today. I've missed you at the cyber table. All the best with continued recovery and rehab.

Jump to this post

Hi Colleen: I always look for your postings, as the skills are nice.. Be courteous, to inform as to what this "cyber table" is. Greetings of the season and hope you are enjoying.. Request to reduce the mayoclinic connect messages to 4-5/week, please help out.

@ramakambhatla

Hi Colleen: I always look for your postings, as the skills are nice.. Be courteous, to inform as to what this "cyber table" is. Greetings of the season and hope you are enjoying.. Request to reduce the mayoclinic connect messages to 4-5/week, please help out.

Jump to this post

@ramakambhatla, the cyber-table refers to our discussion here. I like to imagine that we're all sitting around the table with cups of tea or coffee and chatting together. Since we're doing this online or in cyberspace, it can be called the cyber-table. What do you think? Latte or green tea?

@colleenyoung

@ramakambhatla, the cyber-table refers to our discussion here. I like to imagine that we're all sitting around the table with cups of tea or coffee and chatting together. Since we're doing this online or in cyberspace, it can be called the cyber-table. What do you think? Latte or green tea?

Jump to this post

@colleenyoung
I think lots of candy around the table is essential, no coffee or tea for me!!!
Jake

@jakedduck1

@colleenyoung
I think lots of candy around the table is essential, no coffee or tea for me!!!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Snacks most any kind are a must! We'll be in our own spaces, so who knows what others might bring!
I'll bring veggie straws or apple slices, to have along with my tea!
@ramakambhatia What type of snack will you have with your tea?
Ginger

@gingerw
Apple slices dipped in carmel sauce yummy!!!
That sounds so good I think I’ll go out & pick an apple or two.
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.