Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@mamacita

Not to be a party pooper, but apples are not exactly on my keto-ish diet. Just kidding. Y'all know I will eat an apple anytime I've a mind to! @leonard, @contentandwell,and everyone, good Monday morning!

@gingerw , this group always manages to put a smile on my face. It's cold here, and my daughter has a 9am appointment. So someone of the two senior citizens has to get up and go get her. Guess there won't be any staying at home to be done today.

Thankful for Apple's and good recipes to dream about. For friends in far away places. For reminders that there are still good times to come, if we are careful to be grateful.
Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

So,@gingerw, my daughter's appointment was cancelled because the CRNP and the Doctor both are out of town.

Now I get to drink my hot cup of tea with lemon and get ready in leisure for my own PCP appointment.

Has anyone had the Apple dessert at Cracker Barrel? When you split it two ways, it still has over 400 calories per serving. But sometimes it's just worth it!
Love y'all!

Mamacita Jane

@lioness

@contentandwell I love a slice of apple pie with cheese on it . Must be a eastern thing I mentioned it to a friend out here she turned her nose up at it .

Jump to this post

@lioness
I’ve lived in California all my life and would love a piece of Apple pie with cheese, ice cream, chocolate, Carmel or nearly anything else on top.
Tell ya what, we can have that for desert after our New Years Sauerkraut and Pork dinner. Thought I forgot huh, lol
Jake

@jakedduck1

@lioness
I’ve lived in California all my life and would love a piece of Apple pie with cheese, ice cream, chocolate, Carmel or nearly anything else on top.
Tell ya what, we can have that for desert after our New Years Sauerkraut and Pork dinner. Thought I forgot huh, lol
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Thought you forgot . On Nov 5th we are having a pot luck don't know what I'm going to fix for it any ideas Leonard ?

@lioness

@contentandwell I love a slice of apple pie with cheese on it . Must be a eastern thing I mentioned it to a friend out here she turned her nose up at it .

Jump to this post

@lioness. A lot of people put ice cream on their pie but my husband and I both prefer cheddar. I have even seen specialty cheddars called “apple pie cheddar”!
JK

@jakedduck1

@lioness
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Aren't you in the SF area and Linda in the L.A. area? That's a long way to go for dinner together. If you do manage it, take pictures!

@lioness What are you supposed to bring for the potluck? Entree, dessert, or what, or is it a brunch pot luck?
JK

@lioness

@jakedduck1 Thought you forgot . On Nov 5th we are having a pot luck don't know what I'm going to fix for it any ideas Leonard ?

Jump to this post

@lioness
So many things to choose from. My preference would be a large tray of assorted candy bars. Can't go wrong with candy! Although anything from the 5 food groups, cake, candy, pies, cookies, pastry would do. But you probably want some healthy concoction, spinach salad sounds good. I’ve been enjoying one, which I’m not suppose to have.
Jake

@contentandwell

@jakedduck1 Aren't you in the SF area and Linda in the L.A. area? That's a long way to go for dinner together. If you do manage it, take pictures!

@lioness What are you supposed to bring for the potluck? Entree, dessert, or what, or is it a brunch pot luck?
JK

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 anything just a pot luck we have dinner ,desert and fruit so Ive don't a tuna noodle casserole and macaroni salad in the past but don't want to repeat . Have anything good?

@contentandwell

JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Yes I'm in the L.A. area don't think he will come that distance just for pork and sauerkraut its in his dreams I think haha

@jakedduck1

@lioness
So many things to choose from. My preference would be a large tray of assorted candy bars. Can't go wrong with candy! Although anything from the 5 food groups, cake, candy, pies, cookies, pastry would do. But you probably want some healthy concoction, spinach salad sounds good. I’ve been enjoying one, which I’m not suppose to have.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduke1 Your right candy is out even tho its a desert . Maybe spinach salad or Kale salad

@lioness
Hi,

You could always put a salad inside small pitas or wraps or make tiny sandwiches with whatever filling can stay out for a while.
I’ve had small pita pockets filled with non mayo salads (had oil and vinegar on the greens) and some chopped ham or turkey or cheese.
Even a Caesar salad sandwich or roll up with bacon bits and Parmesan. It’s neater in the pita. Rhymes!
I’m thinking turkey and cranberry roll ups right now. Or you could make cornbread maybe with cheese that can be an accompaniment to other salads.
No utensils needed.. Meatloaf at room temp cut up into little squares with toothpicks and a dip on the side.

I’m assuming there is no heating up involved. Always harder to come up with new ideas when you can’t reheat.

FL Mary

Please sign in or register to post a reply.