Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

Totally off current thread: went to NC apple orchard recently, and as an outdoor person I love and am grateful for the incredible variety of fruits grown in that orchard, the rural area that is located in, the colorful fall foliage of the trees, and the finally lower temperatures after a historic heatwave and drought locally. Picking a crisp apple right off the tree, (be advised, when going to a pick-your-own place, get a map of where the varieties are ready, run to the very farthest spot from the entrance, and there you may still find some apples within reach). The kids do want to pick their own, so even if the kids are older than 10, they still want to fill the buckets. Downside was that we all had to eat some fresh from the fryer apple donuts.

@ellerbracke

Totally off current thread: went to NC apple orchard recently, and as an outdoor person I love and am grateful for the incredible variety of fruits grown in that orchard, the rural area that is located in, the colorful fall foliage of the trees, and the finally lower temperatures after a historic heatwave and drought locally. Picking a crisp apple right off the tree, (be advised, when going to a pick-your-own place, get a map of where the varieties are ready, run to the very farthest spot from the entrance, and there you may still find some apples within reach). The kids do want to pick their own, so even if the kids are older than 10, they still want to fill the buckets. Downside was that we all had to eat some fresh from the fryer apple donuts.

Jump to this post

@ellerbracke Living in NH, apple orchards abound. My husband is generally not big on going to them but maybe I will try to get him to this week. He does love Cortland apples. It is fun to go there but the apple cider is way too tempting as are the apple cider doughnuts. YUM
JK

@contentandwell Those donuts sound good I'm going to try muffins with apple cider

@ellerbracke

Jump to this post

@ellerbracke
Yummy, we have a place not far away called apple hill. Every imaginable type Apple and whatever can be made from them. When I want some I just go in my back yard and pick away.
If you get bored you can make me an apple pie/cobbler/strudel or whatever.
Here’s hoping boredom sets in quick!!!
Thanks in advance
Jake

@lioness

@contentandwell Those donuts sound good I'm going to try muffins with apple cider

Jump to this post

@lioness I have a great recipe for apple muffins with a chunk of cheddar in them. I haven’t made them for a long time, I hope I can find the recipe to make for the weekend, my daughter and her husband will be visiting.
JK

@contentandwell

@lioness I have a great recipe for apple muffins with a chunk of cheddar in them. I haven’t made them for a long time, I hope I can find the recipe to make for the weekend, my daughter and her husband will be visiting.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell I love a slice of apple pie with cheese on it . Must be a eastern thing I mentioned it to a friend out here she turned her nose up at it .

I think that I understand “ gratitude “ and this post is so rich with contributions I’m want to believe that just reading it all over time will in and of itself lead to gratitude so I’ve finally and already started reading. Because it is pages long and the last one I read about cheese on pie I think I started at the right spot. But the reluctant thing in me that knows resistance so well needs to push through it and like it. The optimist in me already believes it’s there and one of those gratitudes needs to be that it is posted here and that everyone who contributed are blessings wrapped in gratitude. So thank you all for your contributions! Stuck on gratitude!👍🙏🏽👌🏻🎃🧑🏾👁🕺🏼⛑👙🌂🌈🍋🍯what goes a🎡comes a⭕️With a 🥯 and cream cheese besides cheddar cheese with hot apple pie I like it like mayo on French Fries once you try it you’ll like it 2 TY for tolerating my strange ways

@stuckonu

I think that I understand “ gratitude “ and this post is so rich with contributions I’m want to believe that just reading it all over time will in and of itself lead to gratitude so I’ve finally and already started reading. Because it is pages long and the last one I read about cheese on pie I think I started at the right spot. But the reluctant thing in me that knows resistance so well needs to push through it and like it. The optimist in me already believes it’s there and one of those gratitudes needs to be that it is posted here and that everyone who contributed are blessings wrapped in gratitude. So thank you all for your contributions! Stuck on gratitude!👍🙏🏽👌🏻🎃🧑🏾👁🕺🏼⛑👙🌂🌈🍋🍯what goes a🎡comes a⭕️With a 🥯 and cream cheese besides cheddar cheese with hot apple pie I like it like mayo on French Fries once you try it you’ll like it 2 TY for tolerating my strange ways

Jump to this post

I figured the paper work needed to be done

@stuckonu

Jump to this post

@stuckonu glad to see that this gratitude group postings make you smile! It seems these days there's so much going on in everyone's lives, that we sometimes forget that it is important to be grateful even for little things! So thank you for your post today. It always makes my heart glad when I read from members that there is something here on Mayo Connect that has felt like a connection for them [pun there but not intended].
Ginger

Not to be a party pooper, but apples are not exactly on my keto-ish diet. Just kidding. Y'all know I will eat an apple anytime I've a mind to! @leonard, @contentandwell,and everyone, good Monday morning!

@gingerw , this group always manages to put a smile on my face. It's cold here, and my daughter has a 9am appointment. So someone of the two senior citizens has to get up and go get her. Guess there won't be any staying at home to be done today.

Thankful for Apple's and good recipes to dream about. For friends in far away places. For reminders that there are still good times to come, if we are careful to be grateful.
Mamacita Jane

Please sign in or register to post a reply.