Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@parus

@merpreb So true. One great big cyber hug to everyone. For two people who are at opposite ends of the pole we do have a connection. I have always admired your spunk.

Jump to this post

Parus, Just thinking that wouldn't it be WWonderful if the whole world put our collective thoughts together to make the World a more Wonderful place! No religious chatter, no bigotry, no polotics, no Hate!
Seems as though there was a song about all that and how usless it is to have Hate!!
Sundance(RB)

@parus, you are loved by so many. Thank you for sharing your stories!

Getting off here for now. Doing Grandma duty has affected my back and all my joints. But I'm trying to downplay it to the family because we have bigger fish to fry.

Love you all,

Mamacita Jane

Becky, Volunteer Mentor, and all, just a quick hello and thank you all for every single thing you do. It makes such a huge difference in the lives of so many.

I am in a hurry today. My daughter's bestie has been valiantly struggling to keep from going into labor. The baby is only 30 weeks today. The doctors have done all they can to stop her labor. The contractions keep coming.

Against my better judgement, I have been picking up that little dumpling of a Grandaughter, carrying her around, and acting like a 40 year old. Now I'm back in my brace, with only extra strength Tylenol to help. Think I will haul out the Turmeric and the heated pad as well. Well, it was for a good cause.

Not complaining.....just grateful. We really can do more than we think we can, when we absolutely have to. If you are of a mind, send up some prayers for the little one. He is so determined to get here!

Love and light,

Mamacita Jane

@mamacita

Becky, Volunteer Mentor, and all, just a quick hello and thank you all for every single thing you do. It makes such a huge difference in the lives of so many.

I am in a hurry today. My daughter's bestie has been valiantly struggling to keep from going into labor. The baby is only 30 weeks today. The doctors have done all they can to stop her labor. The contractions keep coming.

Against my better judgement, I have been picking up that little dumpling of a Grandaughter, carrying her around, and acting like a 40 year old. Now I'm back in my brace, with only extra strength Tylenol to help. Think I will haul out the Turmeric and the heated pad as well. Well, it was for a good cause.

Not complaining.....just grateful. We really can do more than we think we can, when we absolutely have to. If you are of a mind, send up some prayers for the little one. He is so determined to get here!

Love and light,

Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

Jane all of our thoughts, Blessings and prayers are on the way from New Mexico!
Bless all of your family!
Sundance(RB)

@mamacita

Love and light,

Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita
Hi,
Let’s keep that baby in for another couple of weeks! But neonatal care is superb these days. Yeah, all the mamacitas here have always gone beyond the pale when caring for children and grandchildren. It’s what we do. Tumeric is great for inflammatory problems. A little vino wouldn’t hurt either. You should make tumeric cucumerin a regular part of your vitamin regimen and sprinkle the herb over your food where appropriate. It’s something I do and I don’t have any aches or pains, god bless.
Get out of that backbrace and sit the dumpling on your lap next time lol.

Regards from FL Mary

Thank you,@imallears, and everyone! The Mama is indeed in very good hands. We have an incredible NICU in the town just over. Rocket City. And I am still hoping they got the due date wrong.

Daughter is spending the night over there at their home, helping with their other child who is in third grade. They have very little family, and we kind of adopted each other. Prayers and good energy for them would be very much appreciated.

We are better together!

Mamacita

@mamacita

Thank you,@imallears, and everyone! The Mama is indeed in very good hands. We have an incredible NICU in the town just over. Rocket City. And I am still hoping they got the due date wrong.

Daughter is spending the night over there at their home, helping with their other child who is in third grade. They have very little family, and we kind of adopted each other. Prayers and good energy for them would be very much appreciated.

We are better together!

Mamacita

Jump to this post

Goodnight,@lioness, and everyone , all our friends here on Mayo Clinic Connect. Thank you for all your kind words of encouragement. You are a blessing to many.

Mamacita

@sundance6

Jane all of our thoughts, Blessings and prayers are on the way from New Mexico!
Bless all of your family!
Sundance(RB)

Jump to this post

@sundance6 , thank you many tines over! Shevis doing much better with the new medication from her obgyn. He said she should never have been released from the hospital if she was still having contractions.

At any rate, she is doing well and hopefully baby will continue to stay put.Tomorrow we get to go visit and celebrate her Grandmother's birthday.

Love and light toyou!

Mamacita

@imallears

@mamacita
Hi,
Let’s keep that baby in for another couple of weeks! But neonatal care is superb these days. Yeah, all the mamacitas here have always gone beyond the pale when caring for children and grandchildren. It’s what we do. Tumeric is great for inflammatory problems. A little vino wouldn’t hurt either. You should make tumeric cucumerin a regular part of your vitamin regimen and sprinkle the herb over your food where appropriate. It’s something I do and I don’t have any aches or pains, god bless.
Get out of that backbrace and sit the dumpling on your lap next time lol.

Regards from FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears I tried the turmeric thing and had no improvement. It did not help with the pain of fibromyalgia, DDD of cervical and lumbar nor the OA. Interesting how we are all so different. All I know is my body gave out on me and the mind does not seem far behind. We are still trudging on!!!

@parus

@imallears I tried the turmeric thing and had no improvement. It did not help with the pain of fibromyalgia, DDD of cervical and lumbar nor the OA. Interesting how we are all so different. All I know is my body gave out on me and the mind does not seem far behind. We are still trudging on!!!

Jump to this post

@parus
Aw I am sorry to hear that. I would continue taking the tumeric anyway...it takes several months for it to start having an effect. Even if it doesn’t it is still good for you. It won’t help the DDD but might help OA. Are you getting any therapy for DDD? Or has exercise been mentioned? DDD is a difficult kind of pain to manage. You’ve got a trifecta of crappy diagnosis’s there.
Has anyone mentioned diet at all? I would seriously look into that and getting some reading material if you can. I can’t imagine living with pain everyday and I am so sorry you have to endure that. That would get anybody down.
I don’t want to get into the medical marijuana debate but it just occurred to me as it’s been legal in Florida for several years.
Hope it doesn’t cause a backlash here as I am in no way recommending it for anyone...that’s a personal decision.

Regards from FL Mary

Please sign in or register to post a reply.