Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears

@parus
Aw I am sorry to hear that. I would continue taking the tumeric anyway...it takes several months for it to start having an effect. Even if it doesn’t it is still good for you. It won’t help the DDD but might help OA. Are you getting any therapy for DDD? Or has exercise been mentioned? DDD is a difficult kind of pain to manage. You’ve got a trifecta of crappy diagnosis’s there.
Has anyone mentioned diet at all? I would seriously look into that and getting some reading material if you can. I can’t imagine living with pain everyday and I am so sorry you have to endure that. That would get anybody down.
I don’t want to get into the medical marijuana debate but it just occurred to me as it’s been legal in Florida for several years.
Hope it doesn’t cause a backlash here as I am in no way recommending it for anyone...that’s a personal decision.

Regards from FL Mary

Jump to this post

I have been eating only whole foods for over 5 years now. Even sprout my own legumes and rice. No processed foods. Took turmeric for over two years until my stomach couldn't handle it hoping for some benefits. Even tried the CBD and gave up because of the expense to buy a reputable product. I am not ashamed to admit I live below poverty level, but still doing the best I can. Stuff happens in life no matter who you are.

@parus

@imallears I tried the turmeric thing and had no improvement. It did not help with the pain of fibromyalgia, DDD of cervical and lumbar nor the OA. Interesting how we are all so different. All I know is my body gave out on me and the mind does not seem far behind. We are still trudging on!!!

Jump to this post

@parus. I couldn't take the turmeric in capsule form as it upset my stomach but I can drink the tea have you tried this ? I think the tea is more diluted I also use a cream called Topricin cream . It is for fibromyalgia and neuropathy . I just rub it on wherever I need it my arms tingle and burn from the nerves since they are affected from fibro. This may help you . Amazon has it .

I have a whole list of posts to go through. Tomorrow will be devoted to that.
It's been a long day, with appointments with my nephrologist and oncologist. I am grateful [over-the-top grateful!] for this oncologist and his approach to things. While the nephrologist admits there is nothing we can do to stop the kidney disorder I have, just minimize the effects and keeps my native kidneys as healthy as possible, he did not advise another biopsy. On the other hand, the oncologist needs a kidney biopsy done, to determine if there is a secondary kidney issue contributing to/caused by my plasma issue, which is IgM myeloma. He had been leaning towards lymphoma. So, another kidney biopsy to be done.
I am very grateful to not have had the deer play dodge-ball on the road as I came back those 115+ miles each way. Yep, I could see them on the roadside.
Ginger

@gingerw

It's been a long day, with appointments with my nephrologist and oncologist. I am grateful [over-the-top grateful!] for this oncologist and his approach to things. While the nephrologist admits there is nothing we can do to stop the kidney disorder I have, just minimize the effects and keeps my native kidneys as healthy as possible, he did not advise another biopsy. On the other hand, the oncologist needs a kidney biopsy done, to determine if there is a secondary kidney issue contributing to/caused by my plasma issue, which is IgM myeloma. He had been leaning towards lymphoma. So, another kidney biopsy to be done.
I am very grateful to not have had the deer play dodge-ball on the road as I came back those 115+ miles each way. Yep, I could see them on the roadside.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw- Oh boy, another biopsy? I hope that this is scheduled after the meetup if possible and doesn't endanger you. How are you really feeling physically? Do you feel ill?

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw I use to have a deer detector planted on the hood of the car . It would emit a sound to the deer that there was a car on the road . I think Howard got it in a hunting store or hunting catalogue cant remember but it saved a lot of deer .

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw - Sorry you have to have another biopsy but glad you avoided the deer. Hoping all goes well.

@merpreb

@gingerw- Oh boy, another biopsy? I hope that this is scheduled after the meetup if possible and doesn't endanger you. How are you really feeling physically? Do you feel ill?

Jump to this post

@merpreb I had a kidney biopsy Jan 2015. Bone marrow biopsies Oct 2017 and then again two weeks ago. Waiting to hear from the nephrologist; I imagine there are hoops to jump through for insurance. My energy levels have tanked pretty much.
Ginger

@lioness

@gingerw I use to have a deer detector planted on the hood of the car . It would emit a sound to the deer that there was a car on the road . I think Howard got it in a hunting store or hunting catalogue cant remember but it saved a lot of deer .

Jump to this post

@lioness I used to have a set of deer whistles on another car, after hitting a deer one night at 2AM on my way home [it was shift work for law enforcement] What was interesting is that while the high pitched sound deterred the deer, it "drew" the owls. and I would often get bombed by the owls at night. Last night there were about 6 deer along the road at different spots, then two here in town as I got home. Our speed limit is 20mph on that street, so no problem.
Ginger

@gingerw

@lioness I used to have a set of deer whistles on another car, after hitting a deer one night at 2AM on my way home [it was shift work for law enforcement] What was interesting is that while the high pitched sound deterred the deer, it "drew" the owls. and I would often get bombed by the owls at night. Last night there were about 6 deer along the road at different spots, then two here in town as I got home. Our speed limit is 20mph on that street, so no problem.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw- I'll help you lay low in a couple of weeks, lol

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw- Although most of our roads are paved we have a lot of land in our area that still hasn't been built on so we are always cautious about deer out on the road, and leave pumpkins for them in our yard too. But not often enough for them to depend on them.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.