Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@stuckonu
Try some civet coffee. Try not to think of where it’s been. It is incomprehensible to me how anyone can ingest such a nasty vile tasting brew.
Jake

Jump to this post

There must by a reason that YOU suggested this for ME < g>
I’m just guessing now without going back to figure out where and why it came to this suggestion I’m recalling a 60 minute story about goats that eat coffee beans excrete the whole bean which “ ages in a particular way giving the bean a je na sais quoi making it pricy rare hard to find and expensive.
If this is not what you’re talking about, never mind, I’m demonstrating how to behave like an idiot
Just practice for competing to be POTOS
One more thought and question:
Has anyone heard of coffee enema’s? And maybe the poo bean would be ideally suited for that job

@gingerw

@stuckonu Allow me to respond to this. I feel being able to have the ability/skill set to volunteer and do something positive for someone else is a show of gratitude for that ability/skill set. It creates positive feelings in both the giver and receiver. I do my volunteer work because it means I value what I can do to help others. I don't do it for accolades. Do you do anything that would be considered volunteer work? Yes, that is a pretty wide field.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Good feedback Ginger. I think volunteering is a job ( thing that one can do at/for organizations that are well known to want and to accept them. Volunteering to cut my neighbors lawn or shovel his driveway is another, different type of volunteering. I’ve done both but more of the second one I mentioned.
Moving east after living in California for some formative years I immediately introduced myself to my neighbor after moving there, then it snowed and I shoveled his walk and driveway, I offered to bring Steve and Jane “ a plate “ that first Thanksgiving. I moved east on Halloween.
Shortly after arriving at my brother and sis-in-laws for T-giving dinner their phone rand and the sis in law answered the phone and her face changed quickly, she handed me the phone shaking her head. It was Steve calling asking “ where the hell are you?!?! We’re HUNGRY!
I happened to laugh and told him that I was on my way. I prepared two plates while my sis in law expressed her horror at his words and in-gratitude.
They were only two miles away so I got there quickly and they were already sitting at the small kitchen table set with plastic knife and fork, packets of salt and pepper from MacDonalds and already used paper toweling that wasn’t too dirty. I saw poverty and I felt like Santa Claus coming early.
I helped these people until the both died. Several people in town wondered why I helped that because Steve had a tendency to address all things that he thought badly about. He honestly embarrassed me yelling at anyone who bothered him.
After a few years he held my arm like a date and introduced me as his son.
His only son had disowned him 20 years earlier.
When Steve died it was revealed that he left everything to his son but the son got nothing because Steve’s reverse mortgage ate up everything of value.
I still volunteer and I’m working on creating a 501c3 to help Veterans

@jakedduck1

@imallears
Hahaha, Your in rare form this evening aren’t you. So if I have 10-20 based on my age, how many might you have? Far be it from me to make a diagnosis however even if you have all your taste buds intact I think you may have a problem with your insula’s. You have two in your brain that do many things. One of which is to tell us if we are eating good or rotten food. Considering what you eat I think we both know you may have a problem there.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakeduck
The insula is a fascinating part of the brain. They are doing studies in the brains of addicts, including food addiction and it’s connection to obesity. Brian injury or brain stroke seems to be the culprit in insula damage although drugs and alcohol play a part too.
I don’t know if they can modify behavior if insula damage is found. But, yes one of the many disorders is not being able to tell fresh from rotten food. So I guess the sense of smell is affected too. I remember seeing many homeless eating out of trash cans in Vegas. Assuming many were mentally ill.
When you think of the sizzling heat in Vegas and how fast food rots and yet some happily ate garbage.

The brain and all we don’t know about it.

FL Mary

@imallears

@jakeduck
If you slice a zucchini down the middle and scoop out the seeds it won’t be soggy when it’s sautéed or roasted. Otherwise you do end up with mush. I like veggies firm also.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@jakeduck, @imallears, Zucchini.....was such a part of my childhood. My Dad the "once a farmer, always a farmer" guy, planted them and grew the biggest ones. My poor Mom had to find things to do with them because nothing could go to waste. So...Zucchini Pie with vegetables and also with apples, Zucchini Bread, Zucchini Cake, you name it. Even after Alzheimer's left him alone with his memories, he would sit with me and point out how well the peaches were growing. We also grew daffodils and he loved those. During my visits, I always let him take me anywhere he wanted to go with his memories until he lost his voice and his words. Be happy and healthy today. Here's a daffodil for you Dad. Chris

@artscaping

@jakeduck, @imallears, Zucchini.....was such a part of my childhood. My Dad the "once a farmer, always a farmer" guy, planted them and grew the biggest ones. My poor Mom had to find things to do with them because nothing could go to waste. So...Zucchini Pie with vegetables and also with apples, Zucchini Bread, Zucchini Cake, you name it. Even after Alzheimer's left him alone with his memories, he would sit with me and point out how well the peaches were growing. We also grew daffodils and he loved those. During my visits, I always let him take me anywhere he wanted to go with his memories until he lost his voice and his words. Be happy and healthy today. Here's a daffodil for you Dad. Chris

Jump to this post

@artscaping
Oh what a great story. I grew zucchini also in Long Island but probably never as big as your Dad’s. We all made zucchini bread and it was a farm stand staple...another sweet and moist “pound” cake. Who doesn’t love daffy dills as I call them..they’re beautiful.
Sending a whole bunch to your dad now......💐

FL Mary

@stuckonu

Good feedback Ginger. I think volunteering is a job ( thing that one can do at/for organizations that are well known to want and to accept them. Volunteering to cut my neighbors lawn or shovel his driveway is another, different type of volunteering. I’ve done both but more of the second one I mentioned.
Moving east after living in California for some formative years I immediately introduced myself to my neighbor after moving there, then it snowed and I shoveled his walk and driveway, I offered to bring Steve and Jane “ a plate “ that first Thanksgiving. I moved east on Halloween.
Shortly after arriving at my brother and sis-in-laws for T-giving dinner their phone rand and the sis in law answered the phone and her face changed quickly, she handed me the phone shaking her head. It was Steve calling asking “ where the hell are you?!?! We’re HUNGRY!
I happened to laugh and told him that I was on my way. I prepared two plates while my sis in law expressed her horror at his words and in-gratitude.
They were only two miles away so I got there quickly and they were already sitting at the small kitchen table set with plastic knife and fork, packets of salt and pepper from MacDonalds and already used paper toweling that wasn’t too dirty. I saw poverty and I felt like Santa Claus coming early.
I helped these people until the both died. Several people in town wondered why I helped that because Steve had a tendency to address all things that he thought badly about. He honestly embarrassed me yelling at anyone who bothered him.
After a few years he held my arm like a date and introduced me as his son.
His only son had disowned him 20 years earlier.
When Steve died it was revealed that he left everything to his son but the son got nothing because Steve’s reverse mortgage ate up everything of value.
I still volunteer and I’m working on creating a 501c3 to help Veterans

Jump to this post

@stuckonu Very nice story!

@debbraw

I haven't been grateful for awhile and it is showing in my life. Trust me. Today I am grateful for the fact that my husband (who has dementia) gave his truck to his son and gave up his driver's license this weekend. Now, he hasn't driven in many, many months, but at this point he has made peace with the fact that he will not drive again. It's a real milestone for us and I am beyond grateful for the fact that I didn't have to be the "bad guy". It was his decision and he made the right one.

Jump to this post

@debbraw It is a relief to not always be the "bad guy". I have been scraping the edges of the gratitude bowl too. Just keep trudging through is the best some of us can do at times. I am still struggling with a doctor and her cultural issues. Also trying to find a new primary which are hard to come by. With current doctor's cultural hurdles I need to find one. Still searching and completely exhausted. Although she is internal medicine which I was hopeful about as I was referred there by former primary who left. Doctors are leaving due to changes in policies. We are no longer human beings but machines.

@parus

@debbraw It is a relief to not always be the "bad guy". I have been scraping the edges of the gratitude bowl too. Just keep trudging through is the best some of us can do at times. I am still struggling with a doctor and her cultural issues. Also trying to find a new primary which are hard to come by. With current doctor's cultural hurdles I need to find one. Still searching and completely exhausted. Although she is internal medicine which I was hopeful about as I was referred there by former primary who left. Doctors are leaving due to changes in policies. We are no longer human beings but machines.

Jump to this post

@parus, I'm so glad to see you on here, but sorry you are having difficulties. I'm happy to say that I got a great primary at Mayo. She started as a resident, then last year, when she finished her residency, she was hired by Mayo so I got lucky! But I agree with you. It's difficult to find a good fit. I can't remember... are you at Mayo or somewhere else?

Well, insert expletive,
DMV yanked my license. As of the 27th it’s suspended. They don’t mention any time frame so I imagine it’s for 1 year.
I’m going to appeal. I may get an attorney this time around.
Expletive! Expletive! Expletive!
Please excuse my language. Although it was expected it makes me so mad. 😡
Jake

@jakedduck1

Well, insert expletive,
DMV yanked my license. As of the 27th it’s suspended. They don’t mention any time frame so I imagine it’s for 1 year.
I’m going to appeal. I may get an attorney this time around.
Expletive! Expletive! Expletive!
Please excuse my language. Although it was expected it makes me so mad. 😡
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 What was the reason they suspended it? Was it for your seizure condition? Honestly, if you look at the situation from another viewpoint, very likely you would feel absolutely horrible if your suffered a medical incident while driving and hurt not only yourself, but an innocent person. I hope you will step back and take a long look at this turn of events.
Ginger

Please sign in or register to post a reply.