Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@sundance6 growing up in the 60s and 70s my parents would hardly ever turn on the A/C. I remember groaning "why even have it if we never use it?". My mom would always say if my sisters and I were that hot we could go outside or down in the basement. Looking back maybe they didnt want to pay an astronomical electric bill, but now that we are grown, all of us use our A/C to the fullest! When my husband and I go to visit my parents now for our two week vacation, we try not to do it in the heat of the summer!

@jodeej

The schools around here all have air conditioning in them. Our local school had it in the elementary first, so if it was going to be really hot the first few days of school they would get out early since the high school didn't have it.
JoDee

Jump to this post

JoDee, Not back in the 50's and 60's in Phoenix. We started after Labor Day and ended before Memorial Day. Neither Grade shcool or High School. We didn't know any better. We lived in Phoenix and knew it was Hot! In the Summer we were out from early AM until after dark. I don't remember drinking a lot of liquid, except if you were thirsty you would find a garden hose and let the HOT water go out and then what we thought was Ice water would come out. It was probably 80 degrees!
We didn't have Gatoraid or anyhting like it. Maybe a Barq's Cream Soda!
And grew up just fine! Only problem was they didn't expect us to live this long. Hence Adult Whooping Cough and other things are coming back to us.
But you know what! I have had an MOST ENJOYABLE 72 YEARS! Yes I've had Cancer, a Brain injury, Lyme Disease and other things but in between those It has been ONE HELLAVA RIDE!! Wise person once told me a line from a movie that fits my Life to a T! It's more Fun riding on a Roller Coaster than just ROUND AND ROUND on a Merry go Round!
Sundance(RB)

@sundance6

JoDee, Not back in the 50's and 60's in Phoenix. We started after Labor Day and ended before Memorial Day. Neither Grade shcool or High School. We didn't know any better. We lived in Phoenix and knew it was Hot! In the Summer we were out from early AM until after dark. I don't remember drinking a lot of liquid, except if you were thirsty you would find a garden hose and let the HOT water go out and then what we thought was Ice water would come out. It was probably 80 degrees!
And grew up just fine! Only problem was they didn't expect us to live this long. Hence Adult Whooping Cough and other things are coming back to us.
But you know what! I have had an MOST ENJOYABLE 72 YEARS! Yes I've had Cancer, a Brain injury, Lyme Disease and other things but in between those It has been ONE HELLAVA RIDE!! Wise person once told me a line from a movie that fits my Life to a T! It's more Fun riding on a Roller Coaster than just ROUND AND ROUND on a Merry go Round!
Sundance(RB)

Jump to this post

You are an inspiration!

@sundance6

Sundance(RB)

Jump to this post

Our school didn't have air and I grew up without it, too. We'd drink from the hose and swim in the lake. We'd also play outside all day and sit in the shade to cool off. If it was hot at night we'd sleep on the floor in the living room in front of a box fan.

JoDee

@jodeej

Our school didn't have air and I grew up without it, too. We'd drink from the hose and swim in the lake. We'd also play outside all day and sit in the shade to cool off. If it was hot at night we'd sleep on the floor in the living room in front of a box fan.

JoDee

Jump to this post

@jodeej Sounds pretty much like what we all did. My kids were toddlers by the time I got an A/C car. Still do not have whole house A/C.
JK

JK, What part of the country do you live in?
Sundance(RB)

@sundance6

JK, What part of the country do you live in?
Sundance(RB)

Jump to this post

@sundance6 I live in southern NH but lived in MA until I got married, 44 years ago. Despite having lived longer here than in the Boston area, I still consider myself to be a Bostonian, albeit displaced.
JK

@contentandwell

@sundance6 I live in southern NH but lived in MA until I got married, 44 years ago. Despite having lived longer here than in the Boston area, I still consider myself to be a Bostonian, albeit displaced.
JK

Jump to this post

JK, you sound like me. I've lived in Iowa for 35+ years, but still love South Dakota, where I grew up.
JoDee

@sundance6

I do Lady! Go to hear from you! I got a new laptop two weeks ago and had to have my old one(10 years old) downloaded on my new one. Took 'sthe time away from it an business to go north an visit my family. Had fun, took my grandson to the dirt track races and watched him at football practice. Then he wanted me to stay an extra day for his first day at school.
Finally go my new laptop back on Thursday so I am spending time learning Windows 10 and other new things.!
I did manage to go fishing before I went up. Had a Great time until I stepped into a hole in the river. Went down, hit on a rock with my left leg and arm. Arm really bleed, because I take Plavix. The leg hurt and has gotten worse. It's evedenly bleed inturnally. It's down in my knee now. All black and ugly now! It's really sore. Did Yoga this week and it was ok, but just started yesterday.
I did catch and release some beautiful fish! The Black Eyed Susans were EVERYWHERE as were some purple flowers. I was in the rareified air at 8,000' ! Other than the fall it was Great.
Hope all is well with you!!!
Sundance(RB)

Jump to this post

@sundance6 Sounds like you had a great time with your grandson . Find out about the bleeding . I babysat Sat night and we had a great time he loves the computer and was showing me the pranks that are played some where funny . It was amazing what people will do when they don't think anyone is looking stealing bikes ,phones etc. We snuggled on the couch and laughed so much fun. Didn't think of my pain ,mind over matter .

Grateful for the rain we have had which has perked things up a bit...

Please sign in or register to post a reply.