Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@janclaire

I have so much to be grateful for I don't know where to start.. First I grateful for my Father God and Jesus an the Holy Spirit. If course my family and friends. I turned 80 in June and never believed I would live so long as both parents died at 78& 79. I had cysts throughout my whole body all my life and finally am rid of them. I have been prone to bladder infections since I was 20 years old. So now I use an intermittent catheter, hope it helps. Now have #2diabetes controlled with diet an medication.. All my illness have been minor compared to others on you page. So I feel really blessed. I pray daily sometimes hourly depending on circumstances. I married a man 44 years older and was told because of his Medical conditions he would not see 65. Through diet and constant care he lived to 84. I know that God has blessed us and took care of my husband. Had a druggie son who was in prison 3 times and now has been clean for30 years. Just found out last year he had a 10 year old son who was Autistic with a druggie mother. Social services ask him to take custody and they are both very happy. My daughter is a successful paralegal who goes on mission trips with her husband to 3rd world countries and enjoy life and each other. One grandson was into drugs and is now clean. So you see with God's guidance and love I now have much to be grateful for. I could go on but I don't want to bore you. I thank God every day for all of you because you let me see how wonderful my life truly is. God bless you all and may he answer all prayers for your good.

Jump to this post

Wow @janclaire - thank you for sharing your beautiful story of gratitude. You DO have much to be thankful for. Hope those blessings just continue to grow.

@becsbuddy

@jakedduck1 How did endoscopy go yesterday? Good, I hope! Did they find a good chocolate stash in your stomach?!!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy
Hi Becky,
I’m I losing what little is left of my pathetic mind? Did I mention Endoscopy? Well, there was chocolate in my stomach yesterday but no Endoscope.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@becsbuddy
Hi Becky,
I’m I losing what little is left of my pathetic mind? Did I mention Endoscopy? Well, there was chocolate in my stomach yesterday but no Endoscope.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakeduck1 Was it a colonoscopy then? Is that how they found the chocolate ?

@lioness

@jakeduck1 Was it a colonoscopy then? Is that how they found the chocolate ?

Jump to this post

I’m the only one that found chocolate. My fridge was loaded with it but I gave half of it away.
The last tests I’ve had was CT and regular X-ray and 24 hr urine collection, that’s it. I don’t know how that story got started.
Jake
Ps Linda, thank you for about telling me no fly choc with coconut at TraderJoes

It was JK who was talking about having an endoscopy

@sandij

It was JK who was talking about having an endoscopy

Jump to this post

@sandyj
Thank you Sandy. My mind is restored, not that that’s anything to brag about. Sorry you have to go through this ordeal. Hope all is well. At least my doctor won’t find out I’m cheating on my diet.
Good luck JK?
Jake

@jakedduck1

@sandyj
Thank you Sandy. My mind is restored, not that that’s anything to brag about. Sorry you have to go through this ordeal. Hope all is well. At least my doctor won’t find out I’m cheating on my diet.
Good luck JK?
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Thanks for asking. Something was not quite right so I now have to double my dose of omeprazole for the next 8 weeks. I have not yet heard the results of the biopsy, that takes a couple of weeks. Overall though, not too bad.
JK

I'm grateful just to be reading positive posts here on this forum! I'm having ups and downs with the waves of withdrawal from effexor. So many well meaning people, including a therapist who remains sorely uneducated about symptoms of AD withdrawal, have so many unhelpful suggestions (journal! breathe! take an antidepressant! have a glass of wine! do your hobbies! ). Sigh. I am grateful for their concern but sometimes the weight of this hangs like a stone. I love hearing all of your banter and positive comments. Today I'm happy that my love of reading has been restored again! It's one thing I can do if nothing else (who wants to journal? Yuck). I'm currently working my way through Jan Karon's books. She writes about a town named Mitford and the main character who is an episcopalian priest. She is such a great author and the characters in her books just come to life! I really enjoy escaping into the world she has created. I'm also reaching out in the community to find new friends. I'm not going to let this beat me.

That is what makes Mayo Connect what it is! To be able to talk openly about your Fears and your anxities without being made fun of or people not really caring about is what makes this Place so Special!
I count myself as one who would havenot made it through this last year, had I not found this very Blessed and Scared Place with all the healing Energy of so many caring People!
We're all with you Sandi!
Love to All!
Sundance(RB)

I am so very grateful that on Sunday September 22 I see a doctor for the 1st step to get on medical marijuana! As it turns out my primary care physician is also a licensed Medical Marijuana Provider. Recently I had a visit to his NP and we talked about how much pain I still had although I'm on Xtampza (oxycodone long acting) and a 15 mg instant relief oxycodone as well.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.