Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@lioness

@ gingerw A new chapter of your life I'm a small town girl from Pa where I life now is the closest I,ve come to a big city and it feels confining at times. Love the outdoors a small town gives you Be happy

Jump to this post

@lioness Hope your back feels better soon. Simple activity just off a bit can hurt our backs, and it seems once you have hurt it once, your more prone to it.
We have a clearing just beyond our back fence. Seeing deer there most mornings. The property owner likes to skirt the ordinances, but I guess I will have to push the issue for brush clearance, citing defensible space in case of wildfires. Most of those we spoke to just shrugged their shoulders, saying he has always felt rules do not apply to him. He is a major land owner in these parts, mostly timber.
Ginger

I'm so grateful today for relief from ADS (antidepressant discontinuation symptoms). I stopped taking the 10 mg prozac that was prescribed as a bridge, as well as the vistaril for anxiety. I still experience some chemical anxiety but now that I can name it, I can deal with it. It was a huge comfort to find a benzo survivors support group on FB. I've found they are the ONLY people who truly understand the waves and windows that happen with drugs that affect the brain and CNS. Not even the members of effexor groups really get me! It was hard feeling like I was the only one having crazy symptoms. I feel like I am making peace with the situation. Thank you God.

@debbraw

@lioness - I am so sorry about your back. Hope you are back to normal soon. Rest!

Jump to this post

@debbraw Thanks somedays it feels good other days no so I don't know just resting having problem getting hospital to send my xray to my Dr. ? I asked them to but didn't sign a release form Dr. office is trying to get it but that Hippa law is stupid in my estimation

@gingerw

@lioness Hope your back feels better soon. Simple activity just off a bit can hurt our backs, and it seems once you have hurt it once, your more prone to it.
We have a clearing just beyond our back fence. Seeing deer there most mornings. The property owner likes to skirt the ordinances, but I guess I will have to push the issue for brush clearance, citing defensible space in case of wildfires. Most of those we spoke to just shrugged their shoulders, saying he has always felt rules do not apply to him. He is a major land owner in these parts, mostly timber.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Thanks Ginger its the money issue . Seems like greed abounds anymore in our society

In grateful for my wonderful friends. Yesterday one came by to bring my mother something for her contracture and also brought us lunch plus milkshakes, a meatloaf, spaghetti and & meatballs type dish with crooked noodles, mashed potatoes and vegetables and some ice cream bars.
Aren’t friends wonderful.
Bon appetit,
Jake

@jakedduck1 - How wonderful Jake, and I'm so glad that there are people like you who appreciate such gestures! You are a good guy Jake!

@jakedduck1

In grateful for my wonderful friends. Yesterday one came by to bring my mother something for her contracture and also brought us lunch plus milkshakes, a meatloaf, spaghetti and & meatballs type dish with crooked noodles, mashed potatoes and vegetables and some ice cream bars.
Aren’t friends wonderful.
Bon appetit,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 What great friends. It sounds as if you are set for a few days, enjoy.

One of my friends brought a huge casserole over for us since I’m laid up. Unfortunately she apparently forgot that my husband will not anything creamy so I ate it for a couple of nights and he did Chinese takeout. I like Chinese food but no longer eat it due to sodium so that worked out well.
JK

@lioness

@debbraw Thanks somedays it feels good other days no so I don't know just resting having problem getting hospital to send my xray to my Dr. ? I asked them to but didn't sign a release form Dr. office is trying to get it but that Hippa law is stupid in my estimation

Jump to this post

@lioness Yes, the HIPPA law can be a pain in the neck! But, there were times when it was really handy. Not in cases like yours, though. Can they/will they fax you a release form?

@becsbuddy

@lioness Yes, the HIPPA law can be a pain in the neck! But, there were times when it was really handy. Not in cases like yours, though. Can they/will they fax you a release form?

Jump to this post

HIPPA SUCKS!!!
I just had my moms trust altered to get around HIPPA regulations. I’m my cousins Conservator and Trustee and run into problems frequently. People are so ignorant to the laws. I am frequently told “You need a “Power of Attorney.” An individual is conserved because they are incapacitated and can’t legally sign a POA, Knock knock, anybody home up there. I disagree Becky (@becsbuddy,) HIPPA, has never helped my cousin or mom. It’s only hindered and interfered with medical care. I have never found it to be helpful. I believe HIPPA needs to be repealed or at least totally rewritten.
Jake

@jakedduck1

HIPPA SUCKS!!!
I just had my moms trust altered to get around HIPPA regulations. I’m my cousins Conservator and Trustee and run into problems frequently. People are so ignorant to the laws. I am frequently told “You need a “Power of Attorney.” An individual is conserved because they are incapacitated and can’t legally sign a POA, Knock knock, anybody home up there. I disagree Becky (@becsbuddy,) HIPPA, has never helped my cousin or mom. It’s only hindered and interfered with medical care. I have never found it to be helpful. I believe HIPPA needs to be repealed or at least totally rewritten.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 On behalf of Public Guardians everywhere, thank you for stepping up to be your cousin's conservator/trustee. I know there are a lot of hoops to jump through each year to be reinstated. I hope the judge thanks you, as it is a thankless [but loving] job to account for everything and get the psychologists' reports done to affirm your cousin's status. That said, regarding HIPPA, I think it is a good thing, but should be tempered with a big dose of common sense!
Ginger

Please sign in or register to post a reply.