Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@cjtimmerman

@debbraw Actually, I'm feeling the healthiest I have in a long time. After having 4 cancer diagnoses in just over a 2 year period, and then having a proactive hysterectomy due to uterine issues that could have potentially lead to a 5th cancer, I have now just passed my 1 year anniversary without having a new cancer diagnosis. Because Melanoma and Lymphoma can rear their heads any time, I continue to be diligent with skin checks and blood work, and have begun eating much better as a way to help further improve my life and health. I continue to focus on living in the moment and trying to enjoy the life I do have, since tomorrow is not promised to any of us! Happy Sunday!

Jump to this post

@cjtimmerman - What a positive, uplifting message you shared with us. Congratulations on that one year milestone. I love your thoughts about eating healthier. I'd like to invite you to check out this conversation where members are sharing recipes and tips for healthier eating: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/recipes-food-tips-healthy-eating-more/
If you have special recipes or tips that are working well for you in your healthier lifestyle, I would love to hear about them!

@parus No matter! Take your art supplies with you to the common room if you are comfortable doing so. Set yourself up where you can watch others and they can see you working on something. They may come over out of sheer curiosity to see what you are doing and you can offer to help them in color choices for coloring books, Etc. There are so many on the market these days and even at the dollar stores you can buy dollar coloring books with several different themes. It feels good to be able to show others positive ways to spend some time, ease some stress, and just look how much it is helping you!
Ginger

@parus I PUT UP flyers in our building in beginning we had 10 then it dwindled down to 3 but thats how it goes here with anything

@gingerw

@parus No matter! Take your art supplies with you to the common room if you are comfortable doing so. Set yourself up where you can watch others and they can see you working on something. They may come over out of sheer curiosity to see what you are doing and you can offer to help them in color choices for coloring books, Etc. There are so many on the market these days and even at the dollar stores you can buy dollar coloring books with several different themes. It feels good to be able to show others positive ways to spend some time, ease some stress, and just look how much it is helping you!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@lioness Truly it does. I read the words of others and realize we are all creative!!! Many tenacious ones in dealing with things. How about a group hug!!

@parus and everyone. It was so good to read all these statements. They made me feel so much better! I’ve been in a real funk this past week. Just when I thought I was getting better and going east to help my mother, I got the flu. Never had it before I’ve been so miserable. Had to cancel my trip so my sisters had to scramble to see who could go to Mom’s doctor appointment. I’m feeling pretty useless. Hope, hope to get better by May so we can go our 50th anniversary trip! Don’t mind me, my mood will improve. Becky

@becsbuddy What a disappointment!! No wonder you have been in a funk. We all have our funks and feeling useless does not help our funk either. I doubt others see you as useless. I always appreciate your honesty. I have been here at connect long enough as we share and feast at the cyber table. Can you imagine if we all could get together in person?! What a feast for the soul!!!
Cyber hug.

@becsbuddy- Feel better! I hope that you got your flu shot this year!

@becsbuddy

@parus and everyone. It was so good to read all these statements. They made me feel so much better! I’ve been in a real funk this past week. Just when I thought I was getting better and going east to help my mother, I got the flu. Never had it before I’ve been so miserable. Had to cancel my trip so my sisters had to scramble to see who could go to Mom’s doctor appointment. I’m feeling pretty useless. Hope, hope to get better by May so we can go our 50th anniversary trip! Don’t mind me, my mood will improve. Becky

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy Your illness has helped underscore the need for a backup plan. Look at it like that, because it really is true! Sorry you feel poorly right now. Please take care of yourself physically and emotionally, be gentle on yourself. We're here for you!
Ginger

@becsbuddy Feel better being sick is for the birds Having my cupa coffee ,hope for a better day for you

Please sign in or register to post a reply.