Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

Posting the mostly completed painting of my husband. I'll be working on it over the next year as my eyes see things I have left out, but I'm happy with the results so far. It's been so many years since I painted that I wasn't sure I still had the ability. Practice makes permanent, so I'll keep painting now. Thanks for everyone's resonates to my previous post. Love to you all.

@gailb

Posting the mostly completed painting of my husband. I'll be working on it over the next year as my eyes see things I have left out, but I'm happy with the results so far. It's been so many years since I painted that I wasn't sure I still had the ability. Practice makes permanent, so I'll keep painting now. Thanks for everyone's resonates to my previous post. Love to you all.

Jump to this post

Oops, shiny runs are just fresh oil paint.

@gailb

Jump to this post

Great work, @gailb!

@lioness

I'm grateful for the sunshine and warm weather today but tomorrow will be a different story as rain comes in and possibly flooding here .Before a weather change does your aches and pains feel worse? Our bones can tell before it happens .Golden Milk coming

Jump to this post

@lioness I have more overall discomfort when the weather is unsettled. One the weather breaks I feel better. I also feel better when the humidity is high.

@parus Yes I hurt but humidity always made my head hurt especially when the dew point was high as well do you notice it

@lioness

@gingerw Take care of yourself don't overdue it's easy for me to overdue then my fibromyalgia tells me about it

Jump to this post

@lioness Today my muscles are a little bit sore from all the work yesterday. But a lot of that is feeling the change in weather as the storm system comes in. It was a good day to lay low but I had several errands to run. Tomorrow will be staying home all day because it should be raining as in a few hours here. Good day for Zentangle!
Ginger

@gingerw

@lioness Today my muscles are a little bit sore from all the work yesterday. But a lot of that is feeling the change in weather as the storm system comes in. It was a good day to lay low but I had several errands to run. Tomorrow will be staying home all day because it should be raining as in a few hours here. Good day for Zentangle!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Love very to see what you have done I'll be coloring stay warm

@gailb

Jump to this post

@gailb What a great picture. I am really impressed with your talent.
JK

@gailb

Everyone, sorry I've been absent so much these days. I've just gotten myself so involved locally and am doing so many "things" it's hard for me to make sure I do everything. I'm just now to the point of realizing that I must schedule time for the most important things or they will slip through the cracks. Mayo Connect is extremely important to me. So, I'm scheduling time now to review posts and respond.

I think I also needed a break from the groups here while I established my new outside interests to the point that they are now part of my life. I'm sifting through all the new activities and deciding which to leave behind and which to keep. Time and energy limits require prioritization of the things most important to me. I'm slowly adjusting to my new life here after 3 years of not having friends or being connected to my local community. I am so grateful for the support of Mayo Connect and you each individually. I feel like the people in this group are truly great friends of mine.

@parus When I first was reading your posts you seemed (to me) to be so down and hopeless that I was worried about you harming yourself. Not so anymore! Your posts have changed so much over the past year and become happy, open, free and joking. I am so happy about this change and I wanted to be sure you appreciate the work you've done to get to where you are now. I certainly appreciate your strength and love. Your posts and sharing help me to be better. You are a wonder!

@lioness You have been consistently a helper of others. I love how you share your knowledge with us every time you post. You have rarely asked for support, but when you do you have laid the groundwork for everyone to want to help you. What a caring and lovely woman you are.

@merpreb When you first started posting, I felt envious of you, and had some fear that in my absence you would acquire my friends here. You have done exactly that, and now I am thankful for your support of them! You offer very concrete support, information, and loving care. I'm no longer fearing loss of those people you support. I'm grateful for your posts and time here. You are a gift.

@gingerw You are another wonderfully supportive and caring person whose posts are spot on. I love reading your recommendations and how doing those things yourself has helped you. I'm grateful for your presence on this Connect.

I'm not meaning to leave people out of my post, I just wanted to be sure I expressed my feelings for those I have thanked here. I hope I don't sound like I'm assuming a "superior" position to anyone with my appreciations, as I truly see us as equals in everything.

Jump to this post

@gailb Hey Gail, I appreciate you reading my posts and liking them. It’s always a good feeling! Glad you are better. I’m still a newbie and love my Connect friends, too! ...............Karen

@lioness

I'm grateful for the sunshine and warm weather today but tomorrow will be a different story as rain comes in and possibly flooding here .Before a weather change does your aches and pains feel worse? Our bones can tell before it happens .Golden Milk coming

Jump to this post

@lioness Hey Lioness! We have been having lots of rain in the past 2 weeks. It’s cold for us, too. I live in N.C. I can always tell when a front is coming and it’s rainy and cold - a double whammy. What is Golden Milk?.....Karen

Please sign in or register to post a reply.