Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@parus That was beautiful I'm not eloquent with words as you can read by my post but I say Gail ME TOO

@merpreb

@lioness- In order for turmeric to be absorbed it has to have ground pepper and a little fat, like coconut. I also added cinnamon and grnd ginger. and honey

Jump to this post

@merpreb I forgot to add the black pepper I put a little in also a drop of olive oil or advocado oil as coconut milk isn't good for cholesterol I don't think Cinnamon I,ll have to try that but I put cinnamon in my coffee before it perks. With the Almond vanilla milk I don't use any sweetner . I love vanilla even the scent .

@merpreb

@parus- They are just magical, good choice.

Jump to this post

@merpreb Love hawks . My husband use to train the Red Shoulder hawks for awhile with another man. He loved them and they are so beautiful. Funny when he passed on I saw hawks everywhere . Wonder if that was a sign of some kind

@lioness

@karen00 Hi Karen for us in Calif this has been a rainy winter Ive been here only 9 yrs first time its been like this. Golden Milk is really yummy I think. Put a little water in a pan sprinkle in about 1/8-1/4 teaspoon Turmeric and boil for 4 minutes. Add 1 cup of milk I use Almond milk ,love the taste , the vanilla kind. simmer for 1 minute . Drink warm so let it cool down. Tumeric is good for inflammation as well as ginger Enjoy Looking out towards Long beach I cant see the town for the rain

Jump to this post

@lioness Hi Lioness, we’ve had nothing but rain these past few weeks. As I am in the hospital, it has only affected my mood. Rain sure makes me feel gloomy! And cold rain is twice as bad. Right now there’s some blue sky, so I’m very grateful for that! I’ve never had almond milk, but I have heard about turmeric so thanks for the info!.......Karen

@lioness @parus @karen00 and everyone! Good morning from snowy Colorado. March is our snowiest month. I’m glad it’s snowing because we need the moisture and I don’t have to get dressed! Peaches (the dog) are just sitting here under our blankets staying warm. And I can’t stay awake—guess that means I should get up and do something! I really enjoy the friendships as they flow back and forth on this site—makes everyone feel better. Thank you for all the positive talk! Guess I should go work on my quilt as the class ends soon. I’ve only changed the eyes 12 times and the nose more than I can count! I will finish today (I hope). Have a good day, everyone!

@parus

@lioness I have more overall discomfort when the weather is unsettled. One the weather breaks I feel better. I also feel better when the humidity is high.

Jump to this post

@parus High humidity! It’s SO dry in Colorado. We get excited when the humidity is over 20! Of course, we also have dry skin, eyes and hair! But I don’t like high humidity either. It took me a long time to get used to the dryness; everyone carries water all the time. Oh, well, c’est la vie. Becky

@lioness

@karen00 Hi Karen for us in Calif this has been a rainy winter Ive been here only 9 yrs first time its been like this. Golden Milk is really yummy I think. Put a little water in a pan sprinkle in about 1/8-1/4 teaspoon Turmeric and boil for 4 minutes. Add 1 cup of milk I use Almond milk ,love the taste , the vanilla kind. simmer for 1 minute . Drink warm so let it cool down. Tumeric is good for inflammation as well as ginger Enjoy Looking out towards Long beach I cant see the town for the rain

Jump to this post

@lioness Are you right on the coast? We enjoyed visiting the SoCal coast when our son lived in Hermosa Beach. Long Beach isn't too far from there, is it? He was two blocks from "the strand", the boardwalk that goes all the way up to Santa Monica.
He moved to Denver in the summer but I think we enjoyed visiting CA more than CO, but he is able to have a beautiful house in Denver and that has made him and his fiancee happy.
JK

@merpreb

@jk- I sent you a TED talk. Although very interesting it's not what you asked for.
Here it is:https://phys.org/news/2013-11-birds-weather-adjust-behaviour-barometric.html

Jump to this post

@merpreb Thanks again. I will check both of these out later.
JK

@becsbuddy

@parus High humidity! It’s SO dry in Colorado. We get excited when the humidity is over 20! Of course, we also have dry skin, eyes and hair! But I don’t like high humidity either. It took me a long time to get used to the dryness; everyone carries water all the time. Oh, well, c’est la vie. Becky

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy I didn't realize Colorado was low humidity Coming from Pa took me awhile to get use to dryness ,eyes,nose,hair mouth get all dry I have lotion in every room skin is like an alligators skin. Then when the Santa Anna winds blowing my eyes drive me crazy .such is life hmmm

Please sign in or register to post a reply.