Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@parus

@contentandwell I have always been an early to bed early to rise person. Uncle Benny said, "Early to bed, early to rise made a man healthy, wealthy and wise". Mayhap this only applies to men. Still have very angry muscles. Stuff happens.

Jump to this post

@gingerw Sounds like your cat's missing appendage has been replaced with an extra helping in the playful department.
The PT has enhanced the TMJ ans fibro. Will admit I am extremely uncomfortable. Do hope it is worth it. It was a productive busy day yesterday. May need to pass on my play day with my favorite little scamp. Will see.

@gingerw

@parus Those angry muscles may be ouchy tomorrow. Be gentle on yourself. You made me laugh referring to cat in a sandbox. Our new little one likes to watch me clean the sandbox, then climb in and roll around, playing and scratching around! What a little nutjob she is! At least she waits until I clean it, right?

Today I am grateful for itty bitty kitty kisses in the middle of the night, and knowing that my nine hr volunteer shift at the police dept really was a big help to them.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw- Morning Ginger. What kind of volunteer work do you do in a Police Dept for 9 hrs? That a long time!

@merpreb

@gingerw- Morning Ginger. What kind of volunteer work do you do in a Police Dept for 9 hrs? That a long time!

Jump to this post

@merpreb I am in the records dept working on several different projects. My OCD and detailed-ness plays well into the work needed. Being there frees up the paid employees to get their jobs done; I'm there to support them. Usually my shift is 4 hrs twice a week, so yesterday was a long one!
Ginger

@gingerw- Good for you! It's terrific when we can put our own "defaults" to use and help ourselves and others at the same time!

@gingerw

@parus Those angry muscles may be ouchy tomorrow. Be gentle on yourself. You made me laugh referring to cat in a sandbox. Our new little one likes to watch me clean the sandbox, then climb in and roll around, playing and scratching around! What a little nutjob she is! At least she waits until I clean it, right?

Today I am grateful for itty bitty kitty kisses in the middle of the night, and knowing that my nine hr volunteer shift at the police dept really was a big help to them.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw @hopeful33250 Life can be a dream,earth angle went to theater all those songs of big bopper Danny and the dreamers remember those songs of the 60-70,s Aunce si going along Just 4men 1women did the singing Good evening g😃

@gingerw

@merpreb I am in the records dept working on several different projects. My OCD and detailed-ness plays well into the work needed. Being there frees up the paid employees to get their jobs done; I'm there to support them. Usually my shift is 4 hrs twice a week, so yesterday was a long one!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Take care of yourself don't overdue it's easy for me to overdue then my fibromyalgia tells me about it

@parus

@contentandwell I have always been an early to bed early to rise person. Uncle Benny said, "Early to bed, early to rise made a man healthy, wealthy and wise". Mayhap this only applies to men. Still have very angry muscles. Stuff happens.

Jump to this post

@parus Hey Parus, I’m sorry your muscles are “mad”. I hope today gets progressively better! Thinking of you! I just got out of PT & OT, too. Now it’s relax for the rest of the day. .......Karen

@debbraw

That is a beautiful and intricate stained glass. And, the creators clearly understand you and what's important to you. What a wonderful gift from their hearts to you and your husband's hearts! I hope you're healing well.

@lioness

@debbraw That is beautiful I love stain glass Have a picture my grandson did in color stain glass you could say

Jump to this post

@lioness

How sweet is the stained glass picture your grandson made for you! Made with love for sure. How old is he? I love his use of color and the balance he achieved in this abstract.

@lioness

@gingerw No they haven't called me I did get the appointment moved up but still its terrible you would think the med. profession would call you on test results ,they don't . Back in the earlier days this wouldn't have happened I don't know what,s wrong with the medical profession now days

Jump to this post

@lioness @parus @gingerw

At Kaiser and some other places now you must call and request the results of your tests. I think insurance, for-profit healthcare, and limited number of doctors have caused the problem. To be profitable (or in some instances to break even) doctors are required to see a certain number of patients each day. This means they can only spend minimal time with patients who aren't acute. If they fall below their required number they often must take a cut in pay, or they may lose their jobs.

Computers have actually helped the doctors and nurses, and ultimately patients. Previously doctors would see their patients and at the end of each day they dictated their findings to tape to be transcribed the following day by staff and assigned the ICD number that corresponded to the patient's medical problem. The staff often needed to review the doctors handwritten notes to confirm their transcription. Have you tried to read doctor handwriting? It's terrible! Also, doctors often didn't like to to dictate their findings after a long day at work (12+ hours), so they let the patient files build up for a few weeks before trying to do them in a marathon session. This resulted in errors and difficulty for the patient who was awaiting their insurance reimbursement. With the computers doctors spend much less time transcribing information and are assured that the information entered is correct as they have you in the room when they are recording it. Things are more accurate and mistakes are hopefully fewer in number.

All change is difficult to adjust to, but in the long run computer use will improve the care given. I can't say the same about having to change doctors so often! I feel for you Parus. I hope Medicare for All (universal, single payer) will solve some of these problems for all of us. It will at the least, not be profit-oriented! It seems that "the Golden Calf" worship has led us to the state we're in these days. I hope my explanation has been helpful. This is from my 8 years working in healthcare/hospitals/clinics at an administrative level and seeing the challenges and changes that doctors and nurses are dealing with. The vast majority of healthcare professionals are truly interested in helping their patients improve. Only a few are truly bad at their jobs.

I am grateful for my 8 years of experience in Healthcare as it has given me compassion and empathy for those who work tirelessly to help those of us who need their expertise.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.