Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@karen00

@parus yes I love seeing you hanging around cheering me on! I need it! This is the most painful thing I’ve endured! Hopefully, the worst is over. I am busy doing physical and occupational therapy to rehab. Maybe I’ll be out of here soon!

Jump to this post

@karen00 I hope they are giving you something to lessen the pain, and that you get better quickly.
JK

@hopeful33250

@parus I understand what you are saying. I have a friend with scoliosis and she is having the same problem with the pressure on the lung area. You are right, it is a carnival ride - one problem causes another problem. I'm so glad for you that this is all being investigated so that you can get help. Yes, I agree with you, the aging process gives us a lot of new learning. If you don't mind sharing, what is your oxygen level usually?

Jump to this post

@parus For us all it is the Golden years . You know what the golden is ? Its your urine only

@parus

@lioness I had an echo last year and no problems.

Jump to this post

@parus this is only me but I enjoyed seeing my heart pump the blood and the valves opening and shutting

@merpreb

@parus- I don't want you saying no because you didn't want another medicine. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm glad that you are getting tested!

Jump to this post

@merpreb Not a problem. It was going to take 6 weeks or more to get an appointment. There had been a cancellation for tomorrow morning so I decided to get it over with. I am now selfish with my mornings, but will give one up😉. I went on a cleaning spree this morning-even mopping the floors with music on. I can now say, “oh my aching bod”. Smells nice and fresh though. Taking the rest of the day off. Grateful for ice and warm rice bag. Pretty pathetic.

@hopeful33250

@parus I understand what you are saying. I have a friend with scoliosis and she is having the same problem with the pressure on the lung area. You are right, it is a carnival ride - one problem causes another problem. I'm so glad for you that this is all being investigated so that you can get help. Yes, I agree with you, the aging process gives us a lot of new learning. If you don't mind sharing, what is your oxygen level usually?

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 It has been 96-98. 86 yesterday. The NP I have been seeing is thorough and wanting to try and check this out prior to her leaving. I was fairly certain my spine has shifted more a couple of months ago. X-rays confirm thus. See where this goes. I appreciate the input of others as it helps reassure me I am not imagining things. Never have, but wanted to make sure.

@lioness

@parus For us all it is the Golden years . You know what the golden is ? Its your urine only

Jump to this post

@lioness Does this mean our senior years can be a pisser? 😉

@parus

Jump to this post

@parus yes why do you think so many people are incontinent the gold is coming out haha

@parus No, you are not imagining anything. I'm really pleased for you that you are getting help. You deserve the attention of the medical community.

@parus

Jump to this post

@lioness I enjoyed this as well. Also the sounds which were calming. I wondered if this is what my unborn children heard in the womb. Mine were in lots of colors which all were indicative of something as to blood flow.

@lioness

@parus yes why do you think so many people are incontinent the gold is coming out haha

Jump to this post

@lioness Too funny!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.