Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@merpreb Morning girl 😊. Thanks for the info. Will learn some more today!!

@karen00

@parus Cellulitis is an infection of the skin. Bacteria gets into even a small pinprick of skin. It can be life threatening. I have no idea how I got it. My former roommate had it in his butt cheek! Mine is in my right leg calf. It became excruciating very quickly. My leg looked like something out of a horror movie. It’s better now. I hope to God I never have this again!

Jump to this post

@karen00 Thank you for more info. It seems we are not safe anywhere. Ready for a plastic bubble. No, not really. Some more of my tongue in cheek humor. Continue getting better. Appreciate the updates.

@merpreb

@karen00- awww, I'm sorry that you have to endure more. Good morning. I didn't see your post. PT and OT are tough, but I'm sure that you are working very hard! Is rehab a long stay? Can you share with us what they do in rehab so that you are more comfortable?
For those of us not familiar with the terms Cellulitis: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cellulitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20370762
Lymphedema: https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/physical-medicine-rehabilitation/news/lymphedema-diagnosis-and-treatment/mac-20436554
Be well, hope to hear from you soon. Hang in there!

Jump to this post

@merpreb Hey Merry! The rehab hospital takes care of you, too but they also do therapies - OT & PT. I should be out in a few weeks. I’m also getting breathing treatments because I have fluid in my lungs. They say it’s s precursor to pneumonia from being bedbound. So I have a few things going on.
I hope you are doing ok, Merry. Thanks so much for your interest & care.....Karen

Grateful for how we help one another.

@karen00

@merpreb Hey Merry! The rehab hospital takes care of you, too but they also do therapies - OT & PT. I should be out in a few weeks. I’m also getting breathing treatments because I have fluid in my lungs. They say it’s s precursor to pneumonia from being bedbound. So I have a few things going on.
I hope you are doing ok, Merry. Thanks so much for your interest & care.....Karen

Jump to this post

Hello Karen- Hi there! By your writing I can hear how high your spirits are that you will get through this and home soon, no matter the struggle. You have to stay up as much as possible to help get the fluid out of your lungs! Last thing that you want is pneumonia! You can't hog all the illnesses! I'm doing just great! Thank you for asking. I always care Karen, and I'm here for you!

@contentandwell

@parus @merpreb The problem with their recommendations is that they are generally for doctors who don't have many patients, either because they are new or because they are not well received. My husband is going through this now too. He took forever to select a new PCP last year, went for one appointment, and just got notice that she resigned from the practice! I had actually been thinking of going to her too but I guess I will stick with the doctor I have -- I've broken him in, and we sort of tolerate each other.

I've gone off on this topic before -- I hate that the doctors now just work for a hospital. If you get sick and need to be hospitalized you don't see your own doctor, the doctor with whom you have developed a relationship, you see a string of hospitalists. Doctors now have 9 - 5 jobs, they are no longer on call for their patients. On the portal where there is a record of my appointments it even lists every phone call! This is at my local hospital, I do not feel that about the care at MGH.
JK

Jump to this post

I hear you @contentandwell! Things in the field of doctors and insurance companies brings the question of who really is treating you! I could go on forever. But this isn't the right place. I had to select a new pulmonologist and so far I'm very happy. He's local so I can see him quickly if need be! His PA is lovely and bright. I'd see her all the time if I could!

@merpreb I go for a pulmonary test tomorrow. Not a clue what to expect. Another adventure.

I've had a couple of pulmonary function tests, @parus. They aren't too bad at all. Is it called a pulmonary function test or something else?

@parus

@karen00 That would have been painful for everyone!! Sounds like the OT is also a form of PT. I don’t know anything about what causes the problems you are having. Care to share more?

Jump to this post

@karen 00 So sorry for all your trouble with Lymphdema . Stay strong. We are here for you take care

@parus

@merpreb I go for a pulmonary test tomorrow. Not a clue what to expect. Another adventure.

Jump to this post

@parus let us know how you are doing from the test . Its not bad Ive had a echocardiogram just recently ,

Please sign in or register to post a reply.