Fibromyalgia pain: Let's connect

Posted by clownscrytoo @clownscrytoo, Oct 22, 2016

Is there anyone here that suffers from fibro? I had the 'tender spot test' several years ago and I had 17 out of the 18. I try my hardest to get through the pain with my 4 hydrocodone/acetaminaphine pills a day, Tiger Balm rubbed into areas that are the worst, light exercises, and distracting myself with hobbies or chores, etc; but there are many occasions where none of that helps and I spend most of the day holding down the couch, getting up about 30-45 minutes after that, walking/standing around the house for 15-20 minutes, or sitting for about 15-30 min. I do not drive and my husband works 6 days a week, overtime almost every day, so I'm alone a lot. my wonderful husband is very supportive and I am very grateful for that, but my only other friends are online, out of state, and I will probably never even get to meet them. when extreme pain takes over, my depression takes over and it is so difficult to find hope. does anyone have tips for fibro, whether diet or over-the-counter meds (I've tried them all, I think), or anything, besides hobbies and such? I've tried every over-the-counter med, and the Tiger Balm does cover some of what the pain pill doesn't help, but I'm hoping one of our members might have some knowledge that could help. I'd really appreciate it.
hugz,
Clownscrytoo

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Fibromyalgia Support Group.

@jenapower

So what were you taking that did work. I'm considering stopping all pain meds, and move forward with other meds that are not as harsh and addictive but no Lyrica or Cymbalta which I have reactions to. Jen

Jump to this post

@jenapower I have not found the "magic potion" so to speak. Fibromyalgia is so complex and while I'm not a medical professional, I believe it is a combination of medicine, vitamins, exercise and adequate sleep work best in treating Fibro.

@irene5

Hi. I am so sorry you are suffering so much. I think that hydrocodone may be a good choice for some types of pain, but fibromyalgia responds very well to Elavil and Gabapentin. I took Elavil for years, and it also helped with my migraines, and gave me a much better night sleep. Good luck to you. Irene

Jump to this post

I haven't taken elevil for years due to side effects. My neurologist has me on Topiramate /am and Gabapentin /pm, which helps sleep. Also, Fetzima & Welbutrin 300 for emotional. (No marijuana allowed here.)

@irene5

Hi. I am so sorry you are suffering so much. I think that hydrocodone may be a good choice for some types of pain, but fibromyalgia responds very well to Elavil and Gabapentin. I took Elavil for years, and it also helped with my migraines, and gave me a much better night sleep. Good luck to you. Irene

Jump to this post

My only intention was to warn of any anti-inflammatories taken for the relief of pain because it may have been a contributing factor to a tumor developing in my kidney, which I lost.  Ibuprofen was the only pain med that worked for me in regard to pain.  I did have to change to other non-anti-inflammatories such as prescription drugs I didn't like, because they would make me 'high' and made it very difficult to do my job.  This is when I finally found one that helped with pain while not making me high...Methadone.Elizabeth

@jenapower

So what were you taking that did work. I'm considering stopping all pain meds, and move forward with other meds that are not as harsh and addictive but no Lyrica or Cymbalta which I have reactions to. Jen

Jump to this post

@jenapower What kinds of reactions do you have to Lyrica and Cymbalta?

@jenapower

Jump to this post

Thank you Sandy, those are all things I'm desperately trying to do why does it seem so difficult? Especially the sleep? It seems like I can't remember when I could sleep through the night. My husband seems to make it worse. Anyway I appreciate your help, I really need it.Thank you very much, Jen

Sandy, are you in California or any state where marijuana is legal for medicinal reasons? I can't say that it's the magic bullet but it does help. I think the biggest problem with it is it has such a delayed response that if you use the type that has any THC in it at night, you could be sleeping all day the next day if you don't be really careful with how much you take. You have to take very little THC. So there's a knack to learning when to take it and how much to take of the drops. Anyway, if I can help in any other way let me know I can answer the questions but I'm not sure how good I am for much more.Good luck and contact me if you'd like, Jen

@jenapower

Jump to this post

If you have tried Benedryl and got no sleep then see if your doc will prescribe Trazadone. I pray that you find the right medical help because it's out there. Don't quit asking and don't give up. Also, don't forget the knowledgeable healthfood stores.

Has anyone else experienced fibromyalgia

@lucia

Jump to this post

I posed the question

@lucia

Jump to this post

For 36 years I have had fibromyalgia. I take a lower dose of Lyrica, but I have been encountering brain fog, drowsiness, and it is messing with my brain. Seriously, I believe the synopsis connecting nerve endings are no longer existing due to Lyrica. Has any one had this experience. Do you know of another medication or alternative effective remedy?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.