Exercise-induced Hypertension

Posted by mriguy7 @mriguy7, Dec 17, 2017

Hello,

I am a 55 yo male and long-time athlete, who recently developed very minor chest discomfort at rest. EKG's always having been normal, my PCP decided to order a Cardiac Stress Echo, which I had four days ago. During the second phase of the test at a heart rate of about 140, my systolic BP jumped to 230 and the techs aborted the test.

Needless to say the possibility that exercising with a HR of barely 140 bringing on a systolic BP spike high enough to cause a stroke is completely devastating to a life-long athlete. I was a runner since high school, avid tennis and basketball player, and most recently road cyclist doing century (100-mile) rides regularly.

Has anyone dealt with this issue? I have taken BP meds since I was 30 (have metabolic syndrome and family history of HBP) but my BP has always been well-controlled at a resting state (typical 140/90--current meds: Benicar 40 MG 1/day and Clonodine .1 MG 2/day) I will say that I have gained 25 lbs in the last two years and work a very stressful job resulting in my PCP increasing BP meds dose recently.

I have read that maybe some BP meds are better than others for this exercise-induced spiking of BP? I have also read that there are people with NORMAL BP that have this issue. Very confusing...

Has anyone found any cardiac arterial blockage issues that might cause this (I am going to demand a cardiac CTA when I see the cardiologist next week)?

The thought of never being able to exercise hard again is completely depressing---would appreciate any information anyone might have. Thanks so much.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Heart & Blood Health Support Group.

@ladybugmg

I am a retired physician and have a question about my son.
Colleen of Mayo Connect suggested that I ask this question which is related to exercise and pulse rate.
My son is aged 45 and healthy. He exercises regularly by swimming and running on a treadmill.
The other day he visited me after exercise. He had run 2.5 kilometers in 10 minutes which is equivalent to 15 km per hour. He had maintained his pulse at 180 without symptoms.
One hour later his pulse was still 115 whereas his resting pulse is usually 60-70.
How long should it take to return to resting pulse rate after strenuous exercise?
I would appreciate your feedback.
Sincerely, Brian

@pokroy2020

I am a retired physician and have a question about my son.
Colleen of Mayo Connect suggested that I ask this question which is related to exercise and pulse rate.
My son is aged 45 and healthy. He exercises regularly by swimming and running on a treadmill.
The other day he visited me after exercise. He had run 2.5 kilometers in 10 minutes which is equivalent to 15 km per hour. He had maintained his pulse at 180 without symptoms.
One hour later his pulse was still 115 whereas his resting pulse is usually 60-70.
How long should it take to return to resting pulse rate after strenuous exercise?
I would appreciate your feedback.
Sincerely, Brian

Jump to this post

Hi Brian, @pokroy2020
You posted your message perfectly. You son certainly sounds like he is very fit. However, I agree, pulse rate of 115 one hour post exercise seems to be a longer than normal recovery time.

As we wait for other members to jump in, here are some articles that may be on interest.
- How Long After Working Out Does Your Heart Rate Return to Base? https://www.livestrong.com/article/448974-how-long-after-working-out-does-your-heart-rate-return-to-base/
- Exercise intensity: How to measure it https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise-intensity/art-20046887

Has you son ever had an exercise stress test to see how his heart works with physical exercise?

I had an incident two weeks ago when out jogging that indicates I may be experiencing EIH. On the treadmill stress test last week my systolic pressure went from 130 to 235 while walking at a brisk pace. I am 60 years old, have been very active throughout my life, and don't normally have high blood pressure. I will see the cardiologist in January but I can see where this is heading. Is there a particular type of doctor that I should be looking for who will have familiarity with this condition or will a basic cardiologist work? Has anyone come across a blood pressure monitor that works while you are jogging or cycling?

Please ask your cardiologist to test for inflammation in your arteries, also visit your dentist and ask for a deep cleaning of your gums ( high source of inflammation). Cholesterol causes plaque and Drs are happy that your levels are below the highest levels accepted. Ask for a cholesterol pill. Research BP medication and chose at least two that will work with your other meds. The lower your BP the lower your chances for a heart attack. I will recommend an exploratory Angiogram to determine the severity of your plaques problem. I have been exercising my whole life and had two heart attacks after gym sessions. Be proactive and find a cardiologist that will listen. Due diligence is your best friend. Good luck.

@fortunatum

Please ask your cardiologist to test for inflammation in your arteries, also visit your dentist and ask for a deep cleaning of your gums ( high source of inflammation). Cholesterol causes plaque and Drs are happy that your levels are below the highest levels accepted. Ask for a cholesterol pill. Research BP medication and chose at least two that will work with your other meds. The lower your BP the lower your chances for a heart attack. I will recommend an exploratory Angiogram to determine the severity of your plaques problem. I have been exercising my whole life and had two heart attacks after gym sessions. Be proactive and find a cardiologist that will listen. Due diligence is your best friend. Good luck.

Jump to this post

Thanks

OK so I just had a diagnosis of EIH too. Super strange.
- 47 years old, 195lbs, 6ft 1.
- Very fit, a lot of cardio, regularly win indoor rowing competitions
- No regular medications
- Resting BP 120/80
- Moderately high cholesterol numbers (HDL 36, LDL 237)
- Never felt anything amiss until last week when I did a normal high intensity interval training workout (heart rate was peaking at 170bpm). After the work out my left arm went numb and my chest felt very odd. Had an EKG at ER but nothing amiss.
- Since then feeling discomfort when my heart rate goes above 100bpm.
- A heart echo stress test last week showed my systolic blood pressure went through the roof during exercise: 256 at a heart rate of 162bpm. Everything else checked out fine. (Shouldn't really go above 220 I understand).

Only other thing to note is that I had a covid booster and flu shot the week before the ER trip. Not certain if this is connected.

My questions are:
- What is the discomfort I am currently feeling as my heart rate goes up? Am I feeling the high blood pressure, or did I cause some heart irritation after the numb-arm event?
- Could this be something that has come on suddenly? Maybe even a result of some inflammation following the vaccines?
- Or have I been living with this a while but never noticed?
- Is this going to go away?

My cardiologist is going to prescribe some blood pressure meds she tells me.

Hi @scotsman1000, I realize it is a message from 2021 but I am curious if you have found some answers to your questions. I recognize a lot of what you are describing.

@scotsman1000

OK so I just had a diagnosis of EIH too. Super strange.
- 47 years old, 195lbs, 6ft 1.
- Very fit, a lot of cardio, regularly win indoor rowing competitions
- No regular medications
- Resting BP 120/80
- Moderately high cholesterol numbers (HDL 36, LDL 237)
- Never felt anything amiss until last week when I did a normal high intensity interval training workout (heart rate was peaking at 170bpm). After the work out my left arm went numb and my chest felt very odd. Had an EKG at ER but nothing amiss.
- Since then feeling discomfort when my heart rate goes above 100bpm.
- A heart echo stress test last week showed my systolic blood pressure went through the roof during exercise: 256 at a heart rate of 162bpm. Everything else checked out fine. (Shouldn't really go above 220 I understand).

Only other thing to note is that I had a covid booster and flu shot the week before the ER trip. Not certain if this is connected.

My questions are:
- What is the discomfort I am currently feeling as my heart rate goes up? Am I feeling the high blood pressure, or did I cause some heart irritation after the numb-arm event?
- Could this be something that has come on suddenly? Maybe even a result of some inflammation following the vaccines?
- Or have I been living with this a while but never noticed?
- Is this going to go away?

My cardiologist is going to prescribe some blood pressure meds she tells me.

Jump to this post

After my izer booster 10/05/2021 my daily post cardio max rate 135 bpm gave me a wrist cuff systolic between 250 -280. This lasted for about two weeks. The following year + doing exact same exercise/effort I've never been able to duplicate those numbers. Highest systolic max never above the 130s. I will never take another covid mRNA injection.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.