Early surgery: Can I get aortic aneurysm repair before it's 5.0?
I have a 4.1 ascending aortic aneurysm, and my local cardiologist tells me what every other one tells me, including Cleveland Clinic and Mayo. No surgery considered until 5.0, if valves are in good shape (mine are, except for 5% regurgitation).
The rationale offered for waiting: the risk of the surgery is greater than the risk of an event resulting from the aneurysm before it reaches 5.0. Meanwhile, I am told to limit myself to moderate exercise and to take drugs, in hopes of slowing growth of aneurysm.
I will be 71 next month, in good health, and very active. I am more interested in getting the repair done now so that I can resume a full life, rather than waiting around until I get feeble and less likely to have a good result when they eventually open me up for repair. I am much more willing to accept the risk of the surgery now than I will be 10 years down the road. I know, I know–it might never even require surgery–in which case, I can continue my life of "moderate exercise" until my number is finally up. Not interested.
Does anyone know a top surgeon who is willing to talk with me about getting this done now or in the near future?