Daily random shocks throughout body

Posted by kimabooker @kimabooker, Dec 29, 2016

Hoping someone can give us suggestions of things for us to test for. I posted this in the kids and teen section but I don't believe this happens to just kids.

Two of my kids, one boy age 15, one girl age 11 get random shocks in their bodies everyday. The shocks go straight through their body from front to back. It does NOT run along a nerve. There can be just one or up to about 10 in a row. It can be so painful it makes them moan out load in pain or ones they barely feel. They last for just a second or two. The shocks happen everywhere on their bodies, mostly on their chest and rarely on the head.
My oldest son has seen a Cardiologist and a Neurologist where he had tons of tests done showing absolutely nothing. He had a MRI of the Brain, EEG, MRI of the Spine and EMG on the arm and leg. All of his blood work came back normal except the TSH said slight elevation of 5.69. But he retested and it came back normal. The following are some of the tests that he did:
A & A, CBC blood count, CMP, Full Rate Count, Heavy Metal Screen, Lyme disease, Magnesium RA Factor, SED Rate, T3 total, T4 Free, T4 Total, TSH and Vitamin B12.
The only thing that I can see that these two children have in common that my other five do not have, is that they both often got motion sickness but we have pretty much stopped that with Peppermint oil. They also both get light headed and have small headaches etc. when the exert themselves in sports. (They are very competitive and always give more than 100%...saying that so you understand that they are really pushing themselves when they get light headed) If anybody knows of some things we can look into as to what this could be I would greatly appreciate it. I think the thing that seems to be different, is that the shocks again, always go from the front of their body straight out their backside.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

My shocks started in 2002. I am shock free now! Not because of Drs. . They found nothing also in my case! So i did alot of research while i was extremely sleep deprived because of the shocks that went from my chest to my brain. These shocks are terrifying ! I know!! Mega dosing with B- 12 and B-Complex. 3 times a day under the tongue! What you dont need your body will throw off so no bad side affectd. Do this 3 times a day for 10 days! Then if you find its working you can lower the dosage! Youll see a difference in 10 days. If not!? Continue same dosage! It takes awhile to pull out of this but it will work!! Be patient! Go gluten free also. Somehow, the gluten is one of the components that add negatively to this condition!! Good luck to you all!! I hope this helps !! I am now shock free. I o ly take B12 at night now! But its better than drugs. And it tastes good! Again! I hope this can help you. Best Wishes and Health to You and Yours....Cynthia Morrison!!

@wildhorse

Electric shocks!! Uugh!! Mine are finally gone after i think 7 years of having them! God and B-complex and B-12 in high doses at first now dow n to nightly dose of B-12 and sometimes B-complex with. I dont get the shocks every night anymore. Went to 2 drs. Years ago when it started. They tried to give me a dangerous drug that had been pulled from the market and diagnosed me with anxiety! LOL! In other words , they didn't have a clue about this condition. So i never went to a dr for it again. I was so sleep deprived! It was awful. As long as i take my B12 under my toungue, im good! Glad you found a solution for you shocks!! They are so awful. They messed with my life so much for those years!! Good luck to you! I am also going to take your gluten free and use it. Keep on truckin!!😁

Jump to this post

I started out with B-12 and B-Complex 3 times a day! Did that for a long time! Then gradually lowered it as shocks started subsiding.! Forgot to add this to last post!! Cynthia M...

@kimabooker

Thank you. Anything you can throw at me is very much appreciated. I am not thinking I'll get a diagnosis but hoping someone will suggest looking into something we haven't look at yet. Surely there is someone out there that will recognize this kind of shock from something they have seen or heard.
We actually have tracked the shocks, and the doctors and I really couldn't conclude much from it. One of the times we tracked them was the last two weeks of soccer and wrestling season and then no sports for two weeks. ( I made them not run but walk slowly for one week doing nothing not even chores.) There was no difference from when they were in sports, when they were not in sports and the week they did not exert ANY effort in anything. The time of day varied on all days. They don't wake up from them so they are not sure if they are getting them at night. And actually, I need to go back and look at the heart monitor results for my son because I can't recall if it said he had any while sleeping or not. As I said we did notice that they said they seemed a bit more intense when they are sitting or laying down but my thought is that it could just be because their bodies are in a relaxed state. They both say that the closer to the heart the more painful it is and the longer it is, the more painful. But normally they are very quick a more often it's 1-2 quick zaps.
I did look at that post but it didn't seem to fit. My daughter has never had one in her head and my son has only had a couple in his head a couple years ago. Mostly chest, some arms and one in the leg every once in awhile.
Again anything is appreciated. I'll gladly reasearch any and all to see if it matches their symptoms.

Jump to this post

Has anyone ever had them wear a cardiac halter monitor?

@kimabooker

Thank you. The shocks happen randomly throughout the day. We have periodically tracked when the shocks happen and there just seems to be no rhyme or reason. We have noticed that when they lay down or sit and rest that it seems the most noticible but that could be just because they are in a more relaxed state so it may seem worse.
It's definitely not from injury because they both have always had them. They thought everyone had them and it was normal. It wasn't until my son was over 10 when he said something to me and I was like what are you talking about...people don't get shocks everyday. Looking back it makes sense because I would see them jerk or get a strange look on their face and now I know it was them getting shocks even as early as 4 yrs old.

Jump to this post

Hi. I'm Tiffany. I also have suffered the full body shocks for many years. I'm 37. I have a rare terminal auto immune diseases called Scleroderma and a ton of sub diseases that go hand in hand. My drs all think im crazy too when I mention it. For me the shock is like a lightning strike and it starts in my brain and goes down to my toes. But literally goes top to bottom every time. It's so painful. It happens every single day and usually only when I'm resting. If I take an afternoon nap it happens. My neurologist thought I was delusional. I still don't know what causes it... but it would be awesome to have a name or word for what this thing is... and I'd love a way to get it to stop. But scleroderma has NO CURE so I'm probably never going to know. But your kids are NOT alone! Keep yalls heads up.

@tiffanylynnshank

Hi. I'm Tiffany. I also have suffered the full body shocks for many years. I'm 37. I have a rare terminal auto immune diseases called Scleroderma and a ton of sub diseases that go hand in hand. My drs all think im crazy too when I mention it. For me the shock is like a lightning strike and it starts in my brain and goes down to my toes. But literally goes top to bottom every time. It's so painful. It happens every single day and usually only when I'm resting. If I take an afternoon nap it happens. My neurologist thought I was delusional. I still don't know what causes it... but it would be awesome to have a name or word for what this thing is... and I'd love a way to get it to stop. But scleroderma has NO CURE so I'm probably never going to know. But your kids are NOT alone! Keep yalls heads up.

Jump to this post

Hi Tiffany, Welcome to Connect. It must be awful knowing that you can be resting and along comes the electrical shock from head to toes. There is another discussion you might find helpful to learn what others have shared about their symptoms - Electrical shocks throughout my body.: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/electrical-shocks-throughout-my-body/.

Since you mentioned Scleroderma I'm wondering if you might find this discussion with a link to the video helpful - Highly recommend Dr. Griffing's Video Q&A about Scleroderma: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/highly-recommend-dr-griffings-1115-scleroderma-video-a-question/

I'm guessing you have seen a lot of doctors about the electrical shocks with no answers. Have you thought about seeking help at a teaching hospital or a major health facility?

@tiffanylynnshank

Jump to this post

Hi also, Tiffany. Just checking a few posts before I go to the doctor for hip surgery consultation. Last night interestingly enough I had a boom in my head with a jolt within my body and I was wondering if it was something like a stroke, so I looked it up on the internet and seems that, like you said, things like that have no answer yet from doctors. I had shocks like that when I was younger, would wake up with a jolt but it didn't really impact me much. However, interestingly enough, I have very high blood pressure, I started finally taking medication after years of resisting it because I felt healthy enough, but -- the doctor won't go through with surgery on my hip unless my blood pressure is closer to normal. So I've been taking the medication. However, as I said, last night I had a boom sound in my head -- and then a signal of some sort through my body. Now I'm ok. I am wondering however if some calming supplement might help you. I've had to take them sometimes to sleep. Anyway as I said, and like you already said, seems there's no "cure" for this. Just gotta live with it.

@cindiwass

Hi also, Tiffany. Just checking a few posts before I go to the doctor for hip surgery consultation. Last night interestingly enough I had a boom in my head with a jolt within my body and I was wondering if it was something like a stroke, so I looked it up on the internet and seems that, like you said, things like that have no answer yet from doctors. I had shocks like that when I was younger, would wake up with a jolt but it didn't really impact me much. However, interestingly enough, I have very high blood pressure, I started finally taking medication after years of resisting it because I felt healthy enough, but -- the doctor won't go through with surgery on my hip unless my blood pressure is closer to normal. So I've been taking the medication. However, as I said, last night I had a boom sound in my head -- and then a signal of some sort through my body. Now I'm ok. I am wondering however if some calming supplement might help you. I've had to take them sometimes to sleep. Anyway as I said, and like you already said, seems there's no "cure" for this. Just gotta live with it.

Jump to this post

Hi. I'm on sleep medications. I take hot Epsom salt baths etc to relax. I have no blood pressure issues. I've had it since I can remember. You are right about just having to live with it. It stinks.

My daughter just told me she is also feeling shocks in her body. I will be taking her to be examined but I stumbled upon this information:

Have you heard of burners and stingers syndrome? I am not permitted to share a link.

You may have heard of it but thought I would share. Did you get any resolution from doctors ?

Hoping our children stop feeling these shocks!

@emrfroggy

My daughter just told me she is also feeling shocks in her body. I will be taking her to be examined but I stumbled upon this information:

Have you heard of burners and stingers syndrome? I am not permitted to share a link.

You may have heard of it but thought I would share. Did you get any resolution from doctors ?

Hoping our children stop feeling these shocks!

Jump to this post

@emrfroggy, welcome. I noticed that you wished to post a URL with your post to @kimabooker. You will be able to add URLs to your posts in a few days. There is a brief period where new members can't post links. We do this to deter spammers and keep the community safe.

Obviously the link you wished to include is not spam. Allow me to post the information for you:
- Burners and Stingers Syndrome in Children https://lluch.org/conditions/burners-and-stingers-syndrome

Is this something recent that your daughter has been experiencing?

I get this, but also the wrong hot cold, touch, crawling, etc etc. mine moves round but sometimes kicks off in one area. I have Wartenbergs Migratory Sensory Neuropathy, which isn’t a diagnosis as such, but a description of the idiopathic pain pattern. Might be worth checking out? I always say 400 years ago, I would probably be exorcised or burnt at the stake 🤣

Please sign in or register to post a reply.