Daily random shocks throughout body

Posted by kimabooker @kimabooker, Dec 29, 2016

Hoping someone can give us suggestions of things for us to test for. I posted this in the kids and teen section but I don’t believe this happens to just kids.

Two of my kids, one boy age 15, one girl age 11 get random shocks in their bodies everyday. The shocks go straight through their body from front to back. It does NOT run along a nerve. There can be just one or up to about 10 in a row. It can be so painful it makes them moan out load in pain or ones they barely feel. They last for just a second or two. The shocks happen everywhere on their bodies, mostly on their chest and rarely on the head.
My oldest son has seen a Cardiologist and a Neurologist where he had tons of tests done showing absolutely nothing. He had a MRI of the Brain, EEG, MRI of the Spine and EMG on the arm and leg. All of his blood work came back normal except the TSH said slight elevation of 5.69. But he retested and it came back normal. The following are some of the tests that he did:
A & A, CBC blood count, CMP, Full Rate Count, Heavy Metal Screen, Lyme disease, Magnesium RA Factor, SED Rate, T3 total, T4 Free, T4 Total, TSH and Vitamin B12.
The only thing that I can see that these two children have in common that my other five do not have, is that they both often got motion sickness but we have pretty much stopped that with Peppermint oil. They also both get light headed and have small headaches etc. when the exert themselves in sports. (They are very competitive and always give more than 100%…saying that so you understand that they are really pushing themselves when they get light headed) If anybody knows of some things we can look into as to what this could be I would greatly appreciate it. I think the thing that seems to be different, is that the shocks again, always go from the front of their body straight out their backside.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi, I see your posts were from 2016. My daughter has been complaining of this same thing. Did you find answers? Thank you.

@mama3 Are they on any medications? SSRIs can do that…

No, nothing. Probably 6 months ago she complained of the "shocks", and recently mentioned them starting again.

I have had these electric shocks for 4 years now. I have been taking b complex plus b12. SLOWLY I'm showing improvement. I take liquid dropper full before bedtime. Now I'm not getting them every night. When they first started I became sleep deprived I had so many. Hope this helps. Started with heavy dosing of b12 at first.

Because it is two of your children, I got to thinking that perhaps you may look into something with genetics. I do not even know why or what you could discover. What you describe that they have is perplexing. I did read here about a woman who gets shocks all the time on her body, (actually, I want to say, mostly on her scalp), but I can't seem to find the posts. I do know it is somewhere on the Mayo posts, and she suffers from these shocks. I was hoping you could learn from her, but I do not know where she is. Perhaps in a pain group, or a brain group. I feel for your kids. They have endured too much. Lori Renee

Sorry for the super late reply. But I’m 23 and I’ve been having this happen since I could remember honestly it just felt a lot different when I was younger. Some days I barely notice it, some I notice a lot. I can control it most of the time and where. I’m literally doing it to my neck and head right now as I’m typing lol.Occasionally it happens to my whole body at Once (I can’t control that). It definitely doesn’t hurt me and it feels kinda good. I’ve always wanted to know what this was but always felt weird asking people cause it’s really not easy to describe. I honestly think it’s linked to being bipolar, that’s just my opinion. I also had motion sickness when I was 8-9. Feel free to ask me questions since I technically have 13 good years with this. If I had to give you a more vivid description from my perspective i would say it feels like a low voltage ball of pizza dough that is placed under layers of skin and rolled out in a direction(if it even moves). I just had one stretch from bicep to bicep, I felt it all throughout my back and it didn’t move. I’m doing it to my head right now (and this is why I said electric) and it kinda flows around and then it feels like small, super low voltage spikes coming from layers under. I know it sounds weird but these are real time descriptions I’m giving you.

Liked by capausz

@kimabooker

Also for my 15 yr old the shocks have increased slightly over the years. Averaginging about 20 shocks a day. He also said that he’s denying getting the shocks if it will interfere with wrestling… (ugh)
My daughter said about 5-7 a day.
Both say if they are small shocks it’s more a day but if they are longer in time then it’s less shocks.

Jump to this post

I also wrestled but didn’t feel it while I was actually doing it. Also I don’t know if this has any connection but randomly it feels like my skin kinda like bubbles and I’ll make the shock go over it and the bubbling will stop. There’s no pain from it. It just feels weird.

Liked by capausz

Are there no doctors here to answer these questions?!! All these guesses from laypeople mean NOTHING. Please have your kids checked for MS or some other auto-immune disorder.

@shaness

Are there no doctors here to answer these questions?!! All these guesses from laypeople mean NOTHING. Please have your kids checked for MS or some other auto-immune disorder.

Jump to this post

@shaness Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. We are not medical professionals here. We are patients, family members, and caregivers in search of community, answers to our questions, sharing experiences of what has worked [or not worked], all in an effort to share. We are not medical professionals, and cannot nor should we, dispense medical advice. Do you suffer with random shocks? If so, would you like to share some of your story?
Ginger

Please login or register to post a reply.