COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

For those seeking information about SFN and other neurological injuries from the Covid vaccines, the Facebook group Neuro V Long-Haulers and React19.org are great sources of information and support. The V in Neuro V Long-Haulers is necessary to avoid the Facebook censors even though the site is not political and exists to share information and resources.

@pacer3702

I developed sensory and motor peripheral neuropathy after the Pfizer vaccine. My outstanding peripheral neurologist agrees the vaccine was the likely cause. My deep knees reflexes have returned 2 years later and I am slowly improving overall. While the initial vaccines saved many lives, they also seriously injured many people. After considerable research, I believe the government is not being transparent about the true serious adverse reaction rate.

Jump to this post

I would find a new Neurologist.

@sheilarob116

I had my last booster for covid around the end of 2022, making 2 vaccines and 3 boosters. I developed Neuropathy several months later. Starting in my toes and feeling like there was paper between my toes when I curled them under. It seems to have spread along my feet almost to my heels and the area is numb. I am not sure if vaccines or not, but I dont think I will be having any more shots just in case. I am one of the lucky ones I guess because it is not painful. I do have arthritis all over and suffer with that, so thankful the Neuropathy is not painful. I have seen a Neurologist and I go on Oct 19 for them to do a Electromyography Test.. where they are going to stick needles in my muscles at rest and when contracting... not looking forward to that, but hopefully get some answers to some problems. I am 79 y

Jump to this post

@sheilarob116 Relax....I've had the EMG tests done a few times and it sounds worse than what it is. You're looking for answers and this is part of the process, wish you the best. Go in and relax, that is key.

@sheilarob116

I had my last booster for covid around the end of 2022, making 2 vaccines and 3 boosters. I developed Neuropathy several months later. Starting in my toes and feeling like there was paper between my toes when I curled them under. It seems to have spread along my feet almost to my heels and the area is numb. I am not sure if vaccines or not, but I dont think I will be having any more shots just in case. I am one of the lucky ones I guess because it is not painful. I do have arthritis all over and suffer with that, so thankful the Neuropathy is not painful. I have seen a Neurologist and I go on Oct 19 for them to do a Electromyography Test.. where they are going to stick needles in my muscles at rest and when contracting... not looking forward to that, but hopefully get some answers to some problems. I am 79 y

Jump to this post

I had EMG and I didn’t think it was bad.

I have neuropathy due to damage to my sciatic nerve. I took the Covid vaccine last week and the pain has increased significantly. This did not happen with my past vaccine booster.

@sheilarob116

Jump to this post

Has your neurologist advised you that the neuropathy might get worse, with leg cramps? I am 84 yrs old and 11 yrs ago due to treatment with chemo I developed neuropathy and over the years it seems to have gotten worse, with severe leg cramps. I will be interested in reading if the electromyography test will answer any questions as to your current problems. I have given up on this problem for me ever going away, I just live with it.

@lreitman

I have neuropathy due to damage to my sciatic nerve. I took the Covid vaccine last week and the pain has increased significantly. This did not happen with my past vaccine booster.

Jump to this post

Welcome to Mayo Connect, where patients and caregivers support one another in their health journeys.
Let me tell you that I have an overreactive inflammatory system, and every vaccine gives me a new surprise. This time, the Covid vaccine in my bicep caused a pain reaction all the way up through my bad shoulder and into my neck.
I have talked this over with my pain doc and my pain physical therapist. It is a real thing, but it is also a sign that my body is responding to the vaccine, whose purpose is to ramp up my immune system.
So, I always try to space out my injections and know I will be sore - often in an entirely new way or place. I plan extra rest & good food, take Tylenol, use ice or heat, and keep moving and stretching. Usually everything subsides in a week, but occasionally it lasts a bit longer. Then I go to the PT or massage therapist for a "tune up."
So, if I always react to vaccines, why do I keep getting them? Because I have bad lungs and therefore am at very high risk of serious illness from any respiratory illness. And because I have seen how awful shingles can be, and with my inflammatory response, I can't imagine how my body would respond.
Sue

@glp1340122

Has your neurologist advised you that the neuropathy might get worse, with leg cramps? I am 84 yrs old and 11 yrs ago due to treatment with chemo I developed neuropathy and over the years it seems to have gotten worse, with severe leg cramps. I will be interested in reading if the electromyography test will answer any questions as to your current problems. I have given up on this problem for me ever going away, I just live with it.

Jump to this post

I am sorry that you are having severe leg cramps, So far nothing like that, but it only start early 2023, so who knows. I have terrible pains in my arms, told by doc that it is torn tendons, and that has gotten very painful lately, and last couple of months had problems getting comfortable in bed to sleep.. Not sure if this may be related to the Neuropathy, will find out on 19th with Neurologist I guess.
I had kidney Cancer in 2003 and was lucky it was caught so soon, and did not need chemo or radiation, and worry with all these aches and pains that it might have gotten into bones, but docs say no. Anyway.... I will post after my appointment what the doc has to say...

@sheilarob116

Jump to this post

I have had that test for moth the nerves and the muscles. It is a piece of cake, nothing to be afraid of.

@golfgame

I have had that test for moth the nerves and the muscles. It is a piece of cake, nothing to be afraid of.

Jump to this post

Thanks, have heard that from a few people, makes me feel better. What were the results, what does it show?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.