COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@rnlorena

@pacer3702 My neurologist did not bring that up at all regarding the vaccines and neither did I. I have had this now for two years. I have been taking just the alpha lipoic acid since I found out I had SNF. The pricks come in spurts and the burning in my hand also. Then I get some weird sudden shooting nerve pains once in awhile. I had a mouth swab for genetic testing and it was negative as I knew it would be. I did not really suspect the vaccine till after I had been tested for other things. I asked a lot of questions but one of the things I didn't ask was how fast does the SNF take over your body with issues? Is it different for everyone? I have read of people having numbness and burning issues and other things. I will check out the Neuro V Long Haulers Facebook group and also React19. Thank you.

Jump to this post

The alpha lipoic acid over the counter or by prescription? Thank you for sharing.

@hello2

The alpha lipoic acid over the counter or by prescription? Thank you for sharing.

Jump to this post

@pacer 3702 I get in from Superior Labs off the Internet. The Neurologist sells it in his office and it is quite expensive.

I began have severe leg/hip weakness about 2 months after my second Pfizer vaccine. The weakness progressed to where I could barely climb stairs and I would fall a lot. Then tingling began in left foot and right toes. Got 1st Pfizer booster and numbness progressed. Pcp sent me to neurologist where testing began. Bloodwork, nerve conduction, sural nerve biopsy, MRI’s, bone marrow biopsy. 14 months or so since first visit to neurologist I have no pain thankfully, but tingling and numbness in both hands and both feet, and very weak left arm. Leg weakness was helped a great deal with physical therapy so I no longer fall and use only a cane on some days. About to resume pt for arm weakness. I have been diagnosed finally with MGUS, which oncologist didn’t think was the cause of my neuropathy but just a week ago was diagnosed with D.A.D.S and will begin IVIG Ttherapy this week. I strongly suspect this is all the result of the Pfizer vaccines though it is not confirmed. Simply the timing of it is suspect where I was perfectly healthy and very active before vaccines and now my life is dramatically changed. The exhaustion at this point is rather overwhelming and I had to retire from my physically demanding yet enjoyable job a year ago. I try hard to keep a positive attitude, try to get some exercise everyday, healthy eating, and I express gratitude every day that my situation is better than that of many others. These are the things I have some control over and though it’s an emotional battle some days to do these things, I am determined to use what tools I can to not let this illness sink me. Best wishes to all on this arduous journey.

I received 2nd Moderna vaccine on a Wednesday morning, had severe immune response for 36+ hours, & on Friday scalding in feet & legs & genitals. Pins & needles in hands etc six months of tests later & it's SFN. I think the Immune response to the vaccine triggered full blown sfn

I didn’t have a diagnosis yet and my PCP told me to go ahead and take the vaccine because of my asthma, heart issues, and diabetes.
I ended up in the ER both times that I took the Moderna vaccine. From that point forward, my neuropathy begin getting worse, and now the damage is done. Now, I have the diagnosis, and they’re saying that the vaccine played a part. Plus, I’ve had a positive Covid test five times since taking the vaccine.

My last booster (Nov. 2022) caused my neuropathy to really flair up. Did anyone have this happen to them?

@jeancc

My last booster (Nov. 2022) caused my neuropathy to really flair up. Did anyone have this happen to them?

Jump to this post

I believe my neuropathy caused by having COVID-19. Maybe long COVID?

@jeancc

Jump to this post

Yes - I never had neuropathy until I got the boosters.

@jeancc

Jump to this post

IDK about boosters specifically, but researchers at MGH have had success treating Covid vaccine neuropathy using steroids and IVIG. You should google for it if you’re still having issues.

@jeancc

Jump to this post

I agree, my neuropathy got worse. I never had neuropathy until after my last vaccination in Sept, 2022.
I came down with COVID-19 a few days after Thanksgiving 2022.
I was diagnosed with PN the beginning of the month, April 7th.
Hope this helps!
Pat

Please sign in or register to post a reply.