COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@madison2023

I have not, but will see a new neurologist at the end of the month and ask.

Jump to this post

Also ask doctor if low iron or ferritin can cause PN or make it worse. Has anyone heard that Anemia impacts PN

@madison2023

I have varying symptoms daily from the neck down. They change throughout the day. I am still able to go about my normal routine, but the worry about progression is all-consuming. My symptoms are very uncomfortable but not necessarily painful. I have a desk job, but try to move about as much as I can. I force myself to get on the treadmill or walk briskly outdoors for 30-60 minutes 5-6 days per week. I have no loss of strength, which is good. I am not on any medication yet; just B-12, Vitamin D, and magnesium supplements. I tried venlafaxine and did not have a good experience. I am seeing a new neurologist at the end of March who specializes in neuropathy. If I get any new insight, I will share. Take good care and keep me posted.

Jump to this post

Do you have any negative reaction to magnesium? I did. Am taking two Pregabalin 25 mg at night and will increase it. Haven't heard of venlafaxine-not many doctors even deal with neuropathy-post what information you get.
I've tried acupuncture-maybe should have continued longer-low light lazer therapy for 14 sessions-nothing has seemed to be effective other than spending alot of $$.
After your visit with the new neurologist, let us know his/her theory for less pain.

The answer is YES!! I did have it somewhat in my feet; but, when I got COVID from my knees (calves especially)
were screaming with pain!! My internist was trying to help-the only slight help was a compound cream and having my legs on a heating pad

@bettyg81pain

Do you have any negative reaction to magnesium? I did. Am taking two Pregabalin 25 mg at night and will increase it. Haven't heard of venlafaxine-not many doctors even deal with neuropathy-post what information you get.
I've tried acupuncture-maybe should have continued longer-low light lazer therapy for 14 sessions-nothing has seemed to be effective other than spending alot of $$.
After your visit with the new neurologist, let us know his/her theory for less pain.

Jump to this post

Will do. Magnesium hasn't bothered me. I take it in the evening to help relax before bed. I think Venlafaxine is more for anxiety but can help calm nerves. I felt it increased my anxiety and decreased my appetite, but I was only on it for a week and I have never been on anxiety medication before. My neurologist warned that it can upset your stomach (take with food), but often works well for her patients.

@madison2023

Will do. Magnesium hasn't bothered me. I take it in the evening to help relax before bed. I think Venlafaxine is more for anxiety but can help calm nerves. I felt it increased my anxiety and decreased my appetite, but I was only on it for a week and I have never been on anxiety medication before. My neurologist warned that it can upset your stomach (take with food), but often works well for her patients.

Jump to this post

Thank you - How long have you had it and what do you do when you have really bad pain? Is there a specific drug that you can take for extreme neuropathy leg and foot pain (some days are better than others-
some are worse than others) It has got to be a nerve pain medication - aleve and tylenol just do not help hardly any. Thanks, Betty G.

My symptoms started the day before Thanksgiving 2022. My symptoms are everchanging from extreme cold sensations, to pins and needles, and a sunburn feeling. Now I am also feeling a deep tissue ache. I occasionally take advil plus B-12 and magnesium. I have not needed stronger pain medication yet. I am just very uncomfortable and anxious. I know of others that take gabapentin. I hope you can get some relief.

Interesting results with Ivermectin for treating Covid/Vaccination induced PN. Hopefully this will help others.
https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=117112

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED NEUROPATHY AND NERVE PAIN FROM HEAD TO TOE FROM THE VACCINE AND/OR COVID?

@hello2

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED NEUROPATHY AND NERVE PAIN FROM HEAD TO TOE FROM THE VACCINE AND/OR COVID?

Jump to this post

I have neuropathy like symptoms from my neck down since late November. I believe that 2 covid boosters and having covid within a 6 month period has put my immune system into overdrive. My doctor instructed me to get the 2nd booster in October. I also had low B-12 and am in peri-menopause. I feel like all 3 of these things are contributing to my varying symptoms. I am scheduled for a nerve study later this month.

@hello2

Jump to this post

Thank you for reaching out. My problems started 12/21 - I got my first booster the month before. My daughter had covid in 12/21. I got a really bad cold with a cough. I didn't go for testing because the wait was 3 to 4 hrs long and it was just before Christmas. I think I had covid. Each month my nerve problem was getting worst. Last month on MSNBC a congressman stated that ever since he had covid, he has had nerve problems from head to toe. I said to my husband OMG it sounds like me. I'm on 200 mg of Lyrica a day. It is helping, but there are days that are really tough. Good luck with your nerve study. Let me know how you make out.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.