COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@claireharris

My neurologist was mainly worried that the pain pathways could be more firmly set and was suggesting a low dose to stay on top of it.

I’d say it was mild heading towards moderate pain but still intermittent.

I’m on supplements as well, exercise and eat healthily, but those are long standing…supplements for almost 3 years.

Jump to this post

That’s great! It’s crazy how the vaccine has effected people so differently. Unfortunately I wasn’t so lucky. I always taken supplements too, would you mind sharing what you’ve been taking? You never know what may have made the difference.

I had a bad reaction to the booster. One awful night and then it seemed ok.

@scotiagirl

I too am not an anti-vaxxer, but I had a bad reaction to the Pfizer vaccine. It started with tremors in my hands and feet, then fasciculations throughout my body, extreme nausea, brain fog, exhaustion, and numbness in my feet. I'm yet to see a neurologist and I'm suffering every day. I hope you make some headway with the media but unless it's one of the accepted post-vaccine conditions you are likely to not get any attention. No one in legitimate media wants to touch this issue with a 10 foot pole. So the rest of us suffer in silence. I believe it will come out but many years from now when there is no longer any pressure to get people vaccinated. We will never be compensated unless we're recognized and we all signed that indemnity form before getting the jab. And, honestly, no amount of compensation could make up for what I'm going through and the mental anguish. I feel completely broken.

Jump to this post

I don’t even care about being compensated. I just want help to feel better and know what is actually going on and to be validated in some way.

@scotiagirl

I too am not an anti-vaxxer, but I had a bad reaction to the Pfizer vaccine. It started with tremors in my hands and feet, then fasciculations throughout my body, extreme nausea, brain fog, exhaustion, and numbness in my feet. I'm yet to see a neurologist and I'm suffering every day. I hope you make some headway with the media but unless it's one of the accepted post-vaccine conditions you are likely to not get any attention. No one in legitimate media wants to touch this issue with a 10 foot pole. So the rest of us suffer in silence. I believe it will come out but many years from now when there is no longer any pressure to get people vaccinated. We will never be compensated unless we're recognized and we all signed that indemnity form before getting the jab. And, honestly, no amount of compensation could make up for what I'm going through and the mental anguish. I feel completely broken.

Jump to this post

I so empathize with you. I feel completely broken as well. I had to cut back to part time at work, and that might soon be going to total disability. Then I would apply to SSDI and inevitably get denied and have to get a lawyer to file an appeal.

Please see a neurologist and consider a punch skin biopsy to see if you have lost small fiber nerve density.

@cyp238ress

I so empathize with you. I feel completely broken as well. I had to cut back to part time at work, and that might soon be going to total disability. Then I would apply to SSDI and inevitably get denied and have to get a lawyer to file an appeal.

Please see a neurologist and consider a punch skin biopsy to see if you have lost small fiber nerve density.

Jump to this post

That's a great suggestion. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks with a neurologist. I'm desperate fr some sort of answer.

Has anyone suffered from numbness after the COVID 19 vaccine? I had both shots in April 2021. After the first my left hand was numb for a few days. After the second shot my left hand went numb again along with the left side of my face. I still suffer from numbness on the left side of my face and hand, which flares up significantly if I am under stress. I had a for work up of tests by a neurologist to rule out many issues + Lyme disease test. No issues identified. Doctors think it is a “vaccine injury”. Has anyone else had isssues like this? I am 50, have celiac disease, but am in otherwise great health.

@shahmj07

Has anyone suffered from numbness after the COVID 19 vaccine? I had both shots in April 2021. After the first my left hand was numb for a few days. After the second shot my left hand went numb again along with the left side of my face. I still suffer from numbness on the left side of my face and hand, which flares up significantly if I am under stress. I had a for work up of tests by a neurologist to rule out many issues + Lyme disease test. No issues identified. Doctors think it is a “vaccine injury”. Has anyone else had isssues like this? I am 50, have celiac disease, but am in otherwise great health.

Jump to this post

Were your doctors willing to write it down as a vaccine injury or they just said it but won’t write it. There seems to be a fear of coming anywhere near that official diagnosis.

@shahmj07

Jump to this post

Good morning, this is what was recorded in the visit notes: "The etiology of X's episodic facial numbness is unclear, but X relates onset to X COVID vaccine. It is possible that X suffered a post-vaccine autoimmune nerve injury." I am now seeing a well-regarded Doctor of Osteopathy and after two treatments the numbness has subsided significantly. That doctor did record the issue as a vaccine injury.

X = my name and gender pronouns

@shahmj07

Jump to this post

@shahmj07, welcome. I moved your message to this existing discussion about neuropathy and the COVID vaccine.
- COVID vaccines and neuropathy https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/covid-vaccines-and-neuropathy/

@aerc25

Were your doctors willing to write it down as a vaccine injury or they just said it but won’t write it. There seems to be a fear of coming anywhere near that official diagnosis.

Jump to this post

No! My neurologist won’t acknowledge my new onset neuropathy that began after my second M shot is related in any way. I reported on the Moderna website.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.