COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@mawagner13

Thank you Amanda Although it’s been nearly 2 months since my first and only dose, the neuropathy hasn’t lessened or resolved. Meds make it manageable but as those with neuropathy know, “manageable” doesn’t mean your quality of life isn’t impacted. Taking supplements. Hoping time is the tincture and 1 dose efficacy proves long term.

Jump to this post

It has been 9 months since my first dose and my symptoms have not resolved. It’s been life changing. I’m praying for relief. I am also hoping that first dose will continue to provide protection as I am unable to get a second.

@total99

I have had three Moderna's and have had have had increasing symptoms of neuropathy since I began the shots.

Jump to this post

same here!

@dbeshears1

@johnbishop i think your advice is spot on. I know my neuropathy has a mind of its own, but felt I had worse feelings after my first 2 shots (they subsided) I had no problem at all with my booster. I talked to my neurologist about reporting it through VAERS and he advised against it - told me we couldn’t “prove” it. In hindsight I’m disappointed that I didn’t report it. How else are they going to learn if they don’t start seeing trends in some sort of database that doesn’t exist with any single doctor? Not just for vaccines, but for a lot of medical mysteries most of us are dealing with? In the end, with the vaccine, I can so far I feel safer having had it, assuming I’m past any adverse reaction I may have had.

Jump to this post

You can still report it and I think that would be a good thing.

If we don't report these symptoms to VAERS, how else do the companies that manufacture the vaccines know what's happening to quite a lot of people? A few people could be a coincidence, but there are quite a lot, my doctor also said this. And when I hear around, other people also have had neuropathic pain that got a lot worse for a few weeks or more after getting Moderna or Pfizer. It's not a coincidence.

@cbkammar

I was wondering the same thing, as not having two vaccines makes life very difficult.
The response I keep getting to that question is “I don’t know.” Frustrating.

Jump to this post

My neuropathy pain increased a little after the first Pfizer and tremendously after the second one and that lasted for three months. I opted to get the J&J for my booster and I was fine.

I received the second covid vaccine thru the Fargo VA . It was Moderna. It made my neuropathy so much worse. Do not get it !!

@cbkammar

It has been 9 months since my first dose and my symptoms have not resolved. It’s been life changing. I’m praying for relief. I am also hoping that first dose will continue to provide protection as I am unable to get a second.

Jump to this post

I’m sorry. It took mine about 6 months to relent. Just in time for my employer to mandate. I didn’t qualify for an exemption so after discussion with two physicians I got the Johnson and Johnson. I also took Quercetin and Bromelain. I did get a neuropathy flare but not nearly as bad as with moderna and only for about 2 weeks. Pharmacist said mRNA packs a huge punch which is just too much for some people and it creates an inflammatory response. IF you are forced into a fully vaccinated status for work, I’d recommend going J&J.

I have diabetic peripheral neuropathy, which has worsened significantly since being vaccinated with Pfizer vaccines. I now must use a walker, as that numb feeling and pain has progressed up my legs and arms. It’s been 5 months and symptoms are worsening. Duloxetine and B12 daily help.

@mawmaw3

I have diabetic peripheral neuropathy, which has worsened significantly since being vaccinated with Pfizer vaccines. I now must use a walker, as that numb feeling and pain has progressed up my legs and arms. It’s been 5 months and symptoms are worsening. Duloxetine and B12 daily help.

Jump to this post

I developed PN symptoms five weeks after my Covid shots.

@twobrooklyn

I developed PN symptoms five weeks after my Covid shots.

Jump to this post

I’m sorry you’ve developed this! Have you tried anything that helps?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.