Anyone taking Ozempic post Bariatric Surgery?

Posted by wr61 @wr61, Aug 12, 2023

Anyone taking Ozempic post Bariatric Surgery. I started 8/11/23. Dosage 0.25 mg. 3.5 years post Sleeve and have been stuck in the 230s for a couple years. What side effects or opinions do you have?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Bariatric Surgery & Weight Loss Support Group.

@wr61

WOW! I never imagined the potential of my sleeve twisting. Good to know. You look great, Congratulations on your 150 lb loss. You look familiar, I might have read several of your posts 2019-2021 on bariactricpal when I was pre and post op. I remember also losing 60 in pre op phase with help from an older GLP-1 Victoza, on it for 6 months. I went from 380 to 300 got sleeved Dec 2019 got down to 208 then back to 233-240 fo the last year and a half. Going on day 5 , down 4.8. Thank you for your reply. Best wishes😊

Jump to this post

Going on day 5 of Ozempic. another typo 😁

@cntrlcoastgirl

So I had sleeve in Dec 2016 but had a complication (stomach stricture as doctor cut the sleeve too thin on the bottom and it twisted.) So after three years and two repairs the stricture came back so the only way to get rid of it for good was to remove it and convert me to a bypass in June 2019. So I had gone from 289 to 165 with the sleeve and then 165 to 138 with the bypass! After the extreme weight loss the pandemic hit and I started gaining due to severe insulin resistance and T2 diabetes. So my weight loss doctor put me on Trulicity (I had actually been in stage 3 clinical trial of that drug back in 2009 to 2011 before it had a name and had lost 60 lbs on it then gained it back once clinical trial was over!). I started Trulicity in Sept 2021 at 204 lbs and by Nov 2022 I was at 150 lbs! That month Trulicity became unavailable so my doctor put me on Mounjaro and that is where I am today, 10 mg. I stay between 148 and 153 lbs, am 5'8"! These shots keep the insulin resistance in check, A1C normal and all my weight off!! But these, shots will be life long maintenance! The clinical trial proved to me without the help if the shot I will gain weight back in my sleep!!

Jump to this post

WOW! I never imagined the potential of my sleeve twisting. Good to know. You look great, Congratulations on your 150 lb loss. You look familiar, I might have read several of your posts 2019-2021 on bariactricpal when I was pre and post op. I remember also losing 60 in pre op phase with help from an older GLP-1 Victoza, on it for 6 months. I went from 380 to 300 got sleeved Dec 2019 got down to 208 then back to 233-240 fo the last year and a half. Going on day 5 , down 4.8. Thank you for your reply. Best wishes😊

@wr61

Jump to this post

You probably have seen me on bariatricpal! So happy to hear your story! Hoping Ozempic helps as it will calm the "good noise" and help with the insulin resistance we all have! Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing!

@wr61

Jump to this post

What is sleeve twisting?

@cavadesoi

What is sleeve twisting?

Jump to this post

Exactly as described, A functional stenosis is caused by gastric tube twisting. Patients who underwent laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and who were subsequently diagnosed with gastric twisting. Both cases required conversion to laparoscopic gastric bypass. Accompanying symptoms may vary but they commonly include early satiety, epigastric pain associated with food intake, gastroesophageal reflux and early vomiting. Although diagnose is mainly clinical, it requires high suspicion since endoscopy and gastrointestinal studies are not conclusive. The principal therapeutic options are endoscopic dilatations, serotomy and conversion to gastric bypass.

Day 30, down 13.5 pounds. Staying at 0.25 for now. Mild to moderate side effects. Minor depression, glum feeling. 2-3 nights a week itching, occasional nausea all mild. Not sure how long I want to do this. B G morning numbers down too.

I had BPD DS in 2008 my highest weight was 437 lost down to 300 then stopped and stayed at 300 give or take 10 lbs. for years until May 2023 I started on Monjaro. I've been obese almost everyday of my 58 years, I've done every diet every plan, every pill, drink, program, you name it Ive probably done it. With Monjaro it has been amazing, hands down best thing I've ever tried, i'm down to 251 since May. I have no side effects, No cravings, i'm no longer "see food, want food" I started exercising about a month into this. I started juicing mostly veggies I only add 1 apple to the huge jug of juice I make every couple of days. Easy to make good choices and control my portion size since I've been on the injections. Only concern is how Ill feel when it's time to stop taking the monjaro.

@christawho

I had BPD DS in 2008 my highest weight was 437 lost down to 300 then stopped and stayed at 300 give or take 10 lbs. for years until May 2023 I started on Monjaro. I've been obese almost everyday of my 58 years, I've done every diet every plan, every pill, drink, program, you name it Ive probably done it. With Monjaro it has been amazing, hands down best thing I've ever tried, i'm down to 251 since May. I have no side effects, No cravings, i'm no longer "see food, want food" I started exercising about a month into this. I started juicing mostly veggies I only add 1 apple to the huge jug of juice I make every couple of days. Easy to make good choices and control my portion size since I've been on the injections. Only concern is how Ill feel when it's time to stop taking the monjaro.

Jump to this post

Congratulations on your awesome 186.0 lbs weight loss!👍 😃 Looks like about 15 per month on Monjaro!

Thank you, I never did the math on the long term loss actually. I just wonder at what weight I will feel done or normal. I looked up for my height, age and it said 137-174 that's a big gap. When I was over 400 I just hoped to be in the 200's, then when i started in May at 295 I wanted to get down to 200 now at 250 I guess even at 200 I won't be done or normal. It such a perception thing. Good luck!

Congratulations on your incredible success! 🎉

Please sign in or register to post a reply.