Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Posted by rabbit10 @rabbit10, Apr 9, 2016

Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@agentorange1967

Anyone out there have agent orange induced neuropathy ivewent thru all the tests and it was deemed that it was my exposure in i67&68 in Vietnam

Jump to this post

Yep. I have a number of diagnosed Agent Orange-connected ailments, including peripheral neuropathy. Upon returning from Vietnam in 1972, I began having mild PN symptoms that have gradually worsened over the years to the point where the pain has currently become very intense.
Of course, back in '72 there weren't any admitted correlations by the VA that made the connection between dioxins and PN. And it wasn't until about seven years ago that they finally concluded that PN was also an assumptive AO-related disease to be added to my existing collection (Parkinsons, ischemic heart disease and prostate cancer).
Anyway, it's comforting to know that I'm not alone on this forum with the AO-PN connection.
And welcome home, Brother.

@steveb2187

Yep. I have a number of diagnosed Agent Orange-connected ailments, including peripheral neuropathy. Upon returning from Vietnam in 1972, I began having mild PN symptoms that have gradually worsened over the years to the point where the pain has currently become very intense.
Of course, back in '72 there weren't any admitted correlations by the VA that made the connection between dioxins and PN. And it wasn't until about seven years ago that they finally concluded that PN was also an assumptive AO-related disease to be added to my existing collection (Parkinsons, ischemic heart disease and prostate cancer).
Anyway, it's comforting to know that I'm not alone on this forum with the AO-PN connection.

Jump to this post

Hi Steve @steveb2187, I see that you recently joined Connect and wanted to send a welcome your way. I'm a Vietnam vet myself but spent my time on a destroyer off the coast providing support. I was fortunate not to be around the Agent Orange but I am also a member of the neuropathy club. If you haven't seen it already, the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a lot of great information to help get you through the day - https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/.

Have you looked into any alternative or complementary treatments for your neuropathy?

Anyone tried;

Conolidine is a potent non-opioid analgesic and has been found to lack the typical complications associated with opiate analgesics like nausea, vomiting, respiratory depression, constipation, tolerance, and physical dependence (60).

@sash

Anyone tried;

Conolidine is a potent non-opioid analgesic and has been found to lack the typical complications associated with opiate analgesics like nausea, vomiting, respiratory depression, constipation, tolerance, and physical dependence (60).

Jump to this post

Hi @sash, There is another discussion on your question that might be helpful to learn what others have shared.

--- Conolidine has not helped me at all for peripheral neuropathy: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/conolidine-has-not-helped-me-at-all-for-peripheral-neuropathy/

@sash

Anyone tried;

Jump to this post

I don't want to sound Naive, but, a that expense I will ask; does it relieve serious nerve pain. I experience in my thorax and my cervix. Presently I m taking Tramadal which is causing constipation. I look forward to your reply. Oh btw, does it need a doctor's prescription? Thank you, Charles aka brotherchuckles80

@brotherchuckles80

I don't want to sound Naive, but, a that expense I will ask; does it relieve serious nerve pain. I experience in my thorax and my cervix. Presently I m taking Tramadal which is causing constipation. I look forward to your reply. Oh btw, does it need a doctor's prescription? Thank you, Charles aka brotherchuckles80

Jump to this post

Another suggestion might be low dose naltrexone (LDN). It worked wonders for me for about a year, and is still better than nothing now. It doesn’t work for everyone (did nothing for my father as a counterpoint), but it has little in the way of side effects (mostly vivid dreams which can be addressed by altering dosage times). More information: https://weillcornell.org/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-low-dose-naltrexone

@johnbishop

Hi Steve @steveb2187, I see that you recently joined Connect and wanted to send a welcome your way. I'm a Vietnam vet myself but spent my time on a destroyer off the coast providing support. I was fortunate not to be around the Agent Orange but I am also a member of the neuropathy club. If you haven't seen it already, the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a lot of great information to help get you through the day - https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/.

Have you looked into any alternative or complementary treatments for your neuropathy?

Jump to this post

Thanks. I have Chemo Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. Gave acupuncture a go for about 6 months. No improvement.

@freckle1

Thanks. I have Chemo Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. Gave acupuncture a go for about 6 months. No improvement.

Jump to this post

I"ve discovered a doctor with both Western medicine and acupuncture credentials. About 20 mins walk. Maybe I should give it another go. But I'm not aware of any credible evidence that it works.

@steveb2187

Jump to this post

I’m a vet ..served on Okinawa and largely escaped the war. I have PN ..Idiopathic. Not much can be done other than exercise to keep my legs strong.
I want to thank you for your service to our country and wish you well as you struggle with you health problems.

Vertex Announces Positive Results From Phase 2 Study of VX-548 for the Treatment of Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Please sign in or register to post a reply.