A Keytruda Patient Running the 2022 Chicago Marathon

Posted by Tom Anderson @ta52, May 9, 2022

My training began last week for the 2022 Bank of America Chicago Marathon. That’s not that unusual; this year’s Chicago Marathon will have approximately 45,000 participants. What’s different about my story is I am currently a Keytruda patient under treatment for inoperable Stage IV non-small cell lung cancer.
The diagnosis came in early October 2020, immunotherapy treatment with Keytruda began later that same month and by the end of April 2021 – six months later – there was no longer any significant evidence of disease. That’s immunotherapy in, perhaps, a best-case scenario but it is reality and that’s where we are with cancer treatment today. We need to spread the word about how much progress has been made. A Keytruda patient participating in the 2022 Chicago Marathon sends a pretty clear message about the state of cancer treatment today.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Cancer Support Group.

I have NSCLC, KRAS g12d, with a PDL-1 score of 60%. My first & only infusion of Keytruda caused my 1 brain MET to go from 6mm to a dot of 1mm therefore eliminating my scheduled GAMMA KIFE procedure. Unfortunately, I also had a severe inflammatory reaction in my joints and wound up on 60mg of prednisone to counter it. (No history of autoimmune anything.) The 2nd infusion was been put on hold until I taper completely off the steroid and see a rheumatologist. Meanwhile I'm waiting a month for a scan to see if the Ketruda affected the lung tumor (1.5 cm) and hilar lymph node in a positive way. (BTW, I'm really old @ 80, but I was a long-distance runner for 35+ years. Congratulations on the marathon!!!!)

@colleenyoung

@linbrew, I see you are asking @ta52 about hiss PDL1 score. As you likely know, if your cancer cells have a high amount of PDL1, you may benefit from a treatment called immunotherapy.

Lin, do you have lung cancer? Have you had the PDL1 test?

Jump to this post

Response to @ta52 below which covers your queries.

@linbrew

I have NSCLC, KRAS g12d, with a PDL-1 score of 60%. My first & only infusion of Keytruda caused my 1 brain MET to go from 6mm to a dot of 1mm therefore eliminating my scheduled GAMMA KIFE procedure. Unfortunately, I also had a severe inflammatory reaction in my joints and wound up on 60mg of prednisone to counter it. (No history of autoimmune anything.) The 2nd infusion was been put on hold until I taper completely off the steroid and see a rheumatologist. Meanwhile I'm waiting a month for a scan to see if the Ketruda affected the lung tumor (1.5 cm) and hilar lymph node in a positive way. (BTW, I'm really old @ 80, but I was a long-distance runner for 35+ years. Congratulations on the marathon!!!!)

Jump to this post

@linbrew Your markers are about what mine were except my metastatic in my lymphatic system. I went from Stage IV to NED in six months but that 100% PD-L1 expression had a lot to do with. I think Keytruda didn't have any time to mess with anything else in my system since all of my tumors were fully coated and Keytruda had a lot of work to do.
And, I'm only 10 years younger that you so I don't consider either of us to be old!

Thank you for this positive information. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and I now feel more hopeful! Have a great race in Chicago!

@pls137

Thank you for this positive information. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and I now feel more hopeful! Have a great race in Chicago!

Jump to this post

First of all, stay positive for your Dad. For some, cancer treatment has moved beyond the old narrative into new and successful approaches like mine. And, second, doing the marathon is a statement that we need to look at cancer patients differently and change that old narrative.
Thanks for your comments!

@linbrew

Jump to this post

5 years in from last injection of Keytruda for non Hodgkin’s lymphoma Had 4 injections but had terrible time tolerating the drug and had to stop. I am 74 and had 5 major cancer treatments that failed me before I received Keytruda as a mercy patient. Hang in there. I am a living example that the immune system can outsmart cancer.

@nodunk

5 years in from last injection of Keytruda for non Hodgkin’s lymphoma Had 4 injections but had terrible time tolerating the drug and had to stop. I am 74 and had 5 major cancer treatments that failed me before I received Keytruda as a mercy patient. Hang in there. I am a living example that the immune system can outsmart cancer.

Jump to this post

Me, too. My immune system - with the help of Keytruda -- defeated Stage IV NSCLC in about six months. We live in amazing times.

@ta52

Me, too. My immune system - with the help of Keytruda -- defeated Stage IV NSCLC in about six months. We live in amazing times.

Jump to this post

Did you have peripheral neuropathy when you started Keytruda? If yes, has it worsened? What about other side effects? I feel Keytruda overstimulated my immune system and my immune system is attacking healthy cells causing worsening pain and stiffness in my body.

@nodunk

Did you have peripheral neuropathy when you started Keytruda? If yes, has it worsened? What about other side effects? I feel Keytruda overstimulated my immune system and my immune system is attacking healthy cells causing worsening pain and stiffness in my body.

Jump to this post

I have a cold right now that is worse than the side effects I had with Keytruda. No pain, no issues and for the past 18 months I have been on 400 mg. every six weeks.

Very hopeful message. My husband is receiving this treatment along with pemetrexed for exactly the same diagnosis. He’s received 14 infusions since October 2021. hopefully will get the same results. He’s also very active; plays pickleball every day for about 2 hours (73 years old).

Please sign in or register to post a reply.