A Keytruda Patient Running the 2022 Chicago Marathon

Posted by Tom Anderson @ta52, May 9, 2022

My training began last week for the 2022 Bank of America Chicago Marathon. That’s not that unusual; this year’s Chicago Marathon will have approximately 45,000 participants. What’s different about my story is I am currently a Keytruda patient under treatment for inoperable Stage IV non-small cell lung cancer.
The diagnosis came in early October 2020, immunotherapy treatment with Keytruda began later that same month and by the end of April 2021 – six months later – there was no longer any significant evidence of disease. That’s immunotherapy in, perhaps, a best-case scenario but it is reality and that’s where we are with cancer treatment today. We need to spread the word about how much progress has been made. A Keytruda patient participating in the 2022 Chicago Marathon sends a pretty clear message about the state of cancer treatment today.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Cancer Support Group.

Tom- This is just wonderful! I am so proud of you! I remember when you were waiting to start training again the first time! I actually did my first walking race, ever after my first cancer. I was so proud. I wasn't fast and I walked but I loved it. My legs almost buckled underneath me when I crossed the finish line! lol.

There have been huge positive strides in lung cancer treatments. You are a shining example!

What a fabulous goal! Keep us posted on your progress, and thank you for being a voice for the ‘new face’ of lung cancer patients!

@merpreb

Tom- This is just wonderful! I am so proud of you! I remember when you were waiting to start training again the first time! I actually did my first walking race, ever after my first cancer. I was so proud. I wasn't fast and I walked but I loved it. My legs almost buckled underneath me when I crossed the finish line! lol.

There have been huge positive strides in lung cancer treatments. You are a shining example!

Jump to this post

Thanks, Merry. It's also a great metaphor for our cancer journey as well especially the part when you cross the finish line on your own two feet! I'm also doing it as a fundraiser for Imerman Angels, a great cancer support organization so it won't be just me who benefits.

@lls8000

What a fabulous goal! Keep us posted on your progress, and thank you for being a voice for the ‘new face’ of lung cancer patients!

Jump to this post

Thank you! And, yes, this is a "we" thing. People need to see the tremendous strides being made in cancer treatment.

@ta52

Thanks, Merry. It's also a great metaphor for our cancer journey as well especially the part when you cross the finish line on your own two feet! I'm also doing it as a fundraiser for Imerman Angels, a great cancer support organization so it won't be just me who benefits.

Jump to this post

This is what it's all about. This is why I Mentor.

love this. i was just diagnosed last week and am starting my journey. i pray for same results and to get back to working out and running. did you lose part of your lung? i have ( apparently) been living with ( and biking with, jog/walking with , etc) 70% capacity and at some point, one of the lobes in the left has to be removed. If you did lose part of a lung, how is it impacting your training. ?
thanks!

@aksinspringfield

love this. i was just diagnosed last week and am starting my journey. i pray for same results and to get back to working out and running. did you lose part of your lung? i have ( apparently) been living with ( and biking with, jog/walking with , etc) 70% capacity and at some point, one of the lobes in the left has to be removed. If you did lose part of a lung, how is it impacting your training. ?
thanks!

Jump to this post

Fortunately for me my cancer metastasized into my cervical lymphatic system and there was little to no activity in the lung itself. And like you, I had no clue there was anything like cancer going on. My path did not involve any surgery; it was strictly immunotherapy with Keytruda and little side effects from treatment. I can also tell you that many members of my charity team for the Chicago Marathon are cancer survivors and patients and the progress we have made in treatment is amazing. Don't be surprised if your oncology team recommends regular exercise along the way. Maybe not to the point you're used to but staying active is key to successful treatment. Let us know how things are going!

Do you have a really hight PDL1 score?

@linbrew

Jump to this post

@linbrew, I see you are asking @ta52 about hiss PDL1 score. As you likely know, if your cancer cells have a high amount of PDL1, you may benefit from a treatment called immunotherapy.

Lin, do you have lung cancer? Have you had the PDL1 test?

@linbrew

Jump to this post

@linbrew
About as high as it gets: 100%. As @colleenyoung1 has mentioned, I benefited greatly from immunotherapy but, the sad news is, it doesn't work on all forms of cancer. On those where it does work it is the proverbial game-changer in cancer treatment.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.