Adult congenital heart disease: What patients and family should know
In the following video, Joseph Dearani, M.D., Mayo Clinic Cardiovascular Surgery chair, provides an overview of adult congenital heart disease, including who should be caring for adult congenital heart disease patients.
- The importance of a multidisciplinary team with training in congenital heart disease
- Risks of operation and the different types of operations, including examples of what valve related operations would be better for different types of people
- Use of blood transfusion
- Addresses the controversy surrounding anti-coagulants
- Stresses the importance of surveillance to address late complications
- Provides information on the Mayo Clinic Program.
To request an appointment, as mentioned at the end of the video, call the numbers below:
Mayo Clinic’s campus in Rochester, Minnesota
Cardiovascular Medicine 507-284-3994
Cardiovascular Surgery 507-255-2000
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST