What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@loribmt
I’m I losing my mind or did you replace a picture?
Jake

@jakedduck1

@loribmt
I’m I losing my mind or did you replace a picture?
Jake

Jump to this post

I’m not a medical professional so I can’t diagnose your issues. 😂.

Jake the weirdest thing happened. Yes, I did replace a picture. I have NO idea where that cartoon character came from. That isn’t anywhere in my picture album. I posted the pics in Connect and then looked to make sure they weren’t blurry. I had to do a double take with that picture. I edited it within minutes so you were quick this morning and saw the original post. I’m still scratching my head wondering where that cartoon came from. It’s not on my computer anywhere. 👀

@loribmt

Yes! We have duckies! We have a nesting pair of Wood ducks but only a picture of the male right now. Hooded mergansers, baby geese and your favorite duckies…🦆

Jump to this post

Gorgeous!

@loribmt

Yes! We have duckies! We have a nesting pair of Wood ducks but only a picture of the male right now. Hooded mergansers, baby geese and your favorite duckies…🦆

Jump to this post

You certainly do have ducks!! Fantastic captures of Mother Nature. Thanks💞

We had geese but they have all moved on. Amazing how quickly they brood their eggs and hatch out then run off to join the world! Or, perhaps the meddling young deer were just too much for them. North edge of property is about 50 yds away from Cow Creek here.

But, we do have some equipment out in the empty lots, as they were all sold by the county, and the new owners are assessing what they will do. They have laid dormant for about 13 years, gathering wild blackberries, gopher holes, and who-knows-what. Fortunately no dead bodies yet. We bought the 3 lots that border our main lot, to create a buffer zone. We will clear our lots of overgrowth making defensible landspace, and take down one more [dead] tree. "Somewhat smooth" the ground, and leave it be. Fire season officially started last week, so no more burn piles nor burn barrels until fall.

We will miss the unfettered view of sunrise, with bambis in the fields at all hours. I hope our nested pair of bald eagles will stick around and not feel they need to relocate.
Ginger

So glad I didn't knock down that Robin's nest on the rafters of my front porch last week. I saw the mother up there a month or so ago but hadn't seen any activity at all lately and was thinking about knocking it down but then I looked out my front door and saw some babies pop up out of the nest, then the mother flew away. I took one picture with my cellphone and then went downstairs and got my camera and took a few more.

@loribmt

Jump to this post

@loribmt -- great photos!!! Neat ducks and geese! The detail and coloring in the wood duck photo is absolutely stunning!!! Thanks for sharing! I've never seen one before. I haven't seen Hooded Mergansers either. It's so much fun to see what each area of the country has to offer.

@vellen -- love, love, love sunsets! Beautiful!

@johnbishop

So glad I didn't knock down that Robin's nest on the rafters of my front porch last week. I saw the mother up there a month or so ago but hadn't seen any activity at all lately and was thinking about knocking it down but then I looked out my front door and saw some babies pop up out of the nest, then the mother flew away. I took one picture with my cellphone and then went downstairs and got my camera and took a few more.

Jump to this post

Hi John @johnbishop -- love the babies!!! Kudos to the mother for building an excellent nest!

@californiazebra

@loribmt -- great photos!!! Neat ducks and geese! The detail and coloring in the wood duck photo is absolutely stunning!!! Thanks for sharing! I've never seen one before. I haven't seen Hooded Mergansers either. It's so much fun to see what each area of the country has to offer.

@vellen -- love, love, love sunsets! Beautiful!

Jump to this post

Thank you! I was so excited to see wood ducks this year. The only pictures I have of the pair are from very early mornings and the lighting isn’t good enough to get a color shot. I really have to zoom in from a distance because they sure don’t like their pics taken. But the male will often be out in the sun.
There are different types of mergansers. Hooded and common. The common are larger and resemble loons. The hooded are small and just adorable. We’re in far northern Wisconsin and treated to all kinds of waterfowl, including loons when the ice finally goes off the lake. It was really late this year. There was still ice for opening day of fishing!

Here’s a little mommy hooded merganser and her mess of babies! Two male hooded mergansers, duckies bottom’s up, fuzzy goose bums, and a muskrat having breakfast.

@loribmt

Thank you! I was so excited to see wood ducks this year. The only pictures I have of the pair are from very early mornings and the lighting isn’t good enough to get a color shot. I really have to zoom in from a distance because they sure don’t like their pics taken. But the male will often be out in the sun.
There are different types of mergansers. Hooded and common. The common are larger and resemble loons. The hooded are small and just adorable. We’re in far northern Wisconsin and treated to all kinds of waterfowl, including loons when the ice finally goes off the lake. It was really late this year. There was still ice for opening day of fishing!

Here’s a little mommy hooded merganser and her mess of babies! Two male hooded mergansers, duckies bottom’s up, fuzzy goose bums, and a muskrat having breakfast.

Jump to this post

@californiazebra A few sunset pics for you during different seasons.
Late spring when the ice is almost gone for the season.
Summer glow…unfortunately it’s from the Canadian wildfire smoke. Devastating but it makes for incredible sunsets.

The last picture where the sky is light pink with ice on the lake… it was already minus 18 degrees and I was out with the dog. Sunset was a little after 4 pm. Brrrr.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.