What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@artscaping

Today is a special day. Finally, after 10 years we have increased the brightness of our bedroom and developed an opportunity to expand our view of the outside including not only the Mississippi River but migratory birds and our two eagles. When we turn the outside lights on during a snow storm it will be very engaging. So I guess it pays to have patience.

Jump to this post

Let there be light!! That is an awesome view Chris.

@artscaping

Today is a special day. Finally, after 10 years we have increased the brightness of our bedroom and developed an opportunity to expand our view of the outside including not only the Mississippi River but migratory birds and our two eagles. When we turn the outside lights on during a snow storm it will be very engaging. So I guess it pays to have patience.

Jump to this post

Wow! What a great, bright and cheery window view!!! Love it!

Chris @artscaping, I'm sure hoping the chipmunk Apocalypse doesn't make north to your place. Have had a few bird strikes on the window but they normally recover. Sigh, I'm going to have to invest in some window decals so they don't fly into window.

@johnbishop

Chris @artscaping, I'm sure hoping the chipmunk Apocalypse doesn't make north to your place. Have had a few bird strikes on the window but they normally recover. Sigh, I'm going to have to invest in some window decals so they don't fly into window.

Jump to this post

The chipmunks are adorable!!!

@johnbishop

Jump to this post

What the!!! I didn’t know chipmunks would eat birds! 😳 Great picture though! Was this a window casualty? Ha, because I can’t quite picture chipmunks stalking birds for dinner!
The decals seem to work fairly well on windows. We put a few on our patio doors and windows where the hummers fly…now they avoid the glass so that’s been a relief.

We’re having an explosion of red squirrels this year! They’re so destructive. Need a deterrent for those!

@loribmt

What the!!! I didn’t know chipmunks would eat birds! 😳 Great picture though! Was this a window casualty? Ha, because I can’t quite picture chipmunks stalking birds for dinner!
The decals seem to work fairly well on windows. We put a few on our patio doors and windows where the hummers fly…now they avoid the glass so that’s been a relief.

We’re having an explosion of red squirrels this year! They’re so destructive. Need a deterrent for those!

Jump to this post

I’m pretty sure it was one of the small birds that hit the window. I’ve heard a couple the past few days but they have all been gone when I looked out the window.

@johnbishop

I’m pretty sure it was one of the small birds that hit the window. I’ve heard a couple the past few days but they have all been gone when I looked out the window.

Jump to this post

@johnbishop Great picture, but seeing the blood around that little critter's mouth sure gave me pause!

We have a big picture window on the west side of our house, in the livingroom, about 8'x20'. I will hear a "thunk" and go out to rescue a little bird who is sitting there, dazed and confused. Hold them until they recover, then set them on their way. They fall into the planter.
Ginger

@gingerw

@johnbishop Great picture, but seeing the blood around that little critter's mouth sure gave me pause!

We have a big picture window on the west side of our house, in the livingroom, about 8'x20'. I will hear a "thunk" and go out to rescue a little bird who is sitting there, dazed and confused. Hold them until they recover, then set them on their way. They fall into the planter.
Ginger

Jump to this post

It gave me pause to Ginger. I didn’t know chipmunks had small birds on their menu.

@loribmt

Jump to this post

@loribmt, @artscaping, and all...Lori, I was horrified at the sight of a chipmunk chowing down on one of my precious birds. Poor babies have a tough life fighting for survival against...hawks, eagles, falcons, owls, etc., even bluejays, regular mammal hunters, human hunters, infections, lessening natural foods, and windows! Decals do help...

Chippies are not so cute anymore. I thought they were nut and berries eaters. Pooh.

I just got some spray rat/rodent deterrent I'm putting in select areas inside my home and around the windows, fence, soffits, etc outside. I'll report on its efficacy. If it works, it deters and doesn't kill, and is safe for cats/dogs/children. Don't know about it or about true safety, but will report on that. I also put out some poison on the patio and in the shrubs. I'm determined to get the rats gone for sure. The experts have stopped after putting black boxes outside around our building, inside the attics, and huge traps in the attics, too. We don't have them scurrying in the walls and ceilings, at least I don't have those issues now. What a trip this has been, over a year struggling with this infestation, fighting with the board to get help and repair the soffit holes, and a company to fight for us. They stepped on a water pipe in the attic flooding several condos. Not mine, thankfully. Walls, ceilings, floors, furniture, and cabinets were all damaged and replaced. Now, they're suing the contractor who was allowed to work without proper licensure and did a lousy job. These single women with young children have had tough several months, now facing lawsuits to get reimbursement, etc. Bad oversight!

Have lots of birds again, finally. It's taken me several weeks to get the feeders clean and up and keep them filled. Low ferritin, etc. makes any of these duties tough but I'm doing it better now. Taking an anemia supplement and eating so much steak and spinach while waiting for help from someone.

Pileated woodpeckers, red-headed and downy woodpeckers, and chickadees. cardinals families, finch, sparrows, squirrel families, house finch, and other now regulars. I'm a happy bird lady.

Blessings to all. Elizabeth

@ess77

@loribmt, @artscaping, and all...Lori, I was horrified at the sight of a chipmunk chowing down on one of my precious birds. Poor babies have a tough life fighting for survival against...hawks, eagles, falcons, owls, etc., even bluejays, regular mammal hunters, human hunters, infections, lessening natural foods, and windows! Decals do help...

Chippies are not so cute anymore. I thought they were nut and berries eaters. Pooh.

I just got some spray rat/rodent deterrent I'm putting in select areas inside my home and around the windows, fence, soffits, etc outside. I'll report on its efficacy. If it works, it deters and doesn't kill, and is safe for cats/dogs/children. Don't know about it or about true safety, but will report on that. I also put out some poison on the patio and in the shrubs. I'm determined to get the rats gone for sure. The experts have stopped after putting black boxes outside around our building, inside the attics, and huge traps in the attics, too. We don't have them scurrying in the walls and ceilings, at least I don't have those issues now. What a trip this has been, over a year struggling with this infestation, fighting with the board to get help and repair the soffit holes, and a company to fight for us. They stepped on a water pipe in the attic flooding several condos. Not mine, thankfully. Walls, ceilings, floors, furniture, and cabinets were all damaged and replaced. Now, they're suing the contractor who was allowed to work without proper licensure and did a lousy job. These single women with young children have had tough several months, now facing lawsuits to get reimbursement, etc. Bad oversight!

Have lots of birds again, finally. It's taken me several weeks to get the feeders clean and up and keep them filled. Low ferritin, etc. makes any of these duties tough but I'm doing it better now. Taking an anemia supplement and eating so much steak and spinach while waiting for help from someone.

Pileated woodpeckers, red-headed and downy woodpeckers, and chickadees. cardinals families, finch, sparrows, squirrel families, house finch, and other now regulars. I'm a happy bird lady.

Blessings to all. Elizabeth

Jump to this post

@johnbishop, and all...Thank you, John, our techy guy. You did it. The problems are fixed and I'm back up and running, getting notifications again. Good help from a good man. Thanks so much. elizabeth

Please sign in or register to post a reply.