What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@gingerw

Outside my window this morning, at 4:15, were the deer. They have "trimmed" my rose bushes now, after leaving them alone all season! The recent rains have brought new growth to the grass, which is also a treat for them. The babies are large enough to jump over the chain link fence now. On the side of the house, our cat stares out at the little chickadees, sparrows, and blue jays as they pick through the grass near the falling down fence, looking for bugs and tidbits. The old madrone tree next door still leans precariously and the copse of pine trees still shelters the deer in sudden storms.
Ginger

Jump to this post

I love the picture you create. It sounds so………….Oregon.

Outside my window is a treeful of nearly ripe Ruby Red grapefruit, which the birds and bees have decided belong to them! But even the hummers are feeding, so I'll buy mine from the fruit stand this year.
Outside my neighbor's window is a lovely desert haven for bids and butterflies. We sit and chat and watch all the migrating birds and butterflies - amazingly, they know the names of most - I just say "the little brown bird with the point on its head" (tufted titmouse) or the "not cardinal" (pyhruloxia?) and they know immediately. I have also learned that along the Rio Grande are over 350 species of butterflies and 350 of dragon and damsel flies. (I know a few of each...)
They have planted all kinds of natives, which are flowering - this morning over 100 doves were feeding on the ground there and flew up while my friend and I were on out walk - really startled us!
Sue

While we’re talking birds, these guys were pretty much in my face all morning! Beautiful but wear a hat and don’t look up! 😏

@loribmt

While we’re talking birds, these guys were pretty much in my face all morning! Beautiful but wear a hat and don’t look up! 😏

Jump to this post

What were you feeding them? Lol. What a tranquil sea!! I haven’t seen that in more than a few years. Nothing like the tortured seas that I “sea” every year here.

@auntieoakley

What were you feeding them? Lol. What a tranquil sea!! I haven’t seen that in more than a few years. Nothing like the tortured seas that I “sea” every year here.

Jump to this post

Chris, I had no food with me! But someone on the beach dumped a bag of Cheetos! It was a feeding frenzy! 😅 Oh there IS nothing like the majestic, tortured seas along the Oregon Coast. My husband used to live there and we always expected to retire in Bandon or some other picturesque place. The gulf was never on our radar. The path we chose isn’t always the one we take, I guess.

@loribmt

Chris, I had no food with me! But someone on the beach dumped a bag of Cheetos! It was a feeding frenzy! 😅 Oh there IS nothing like the majestic, tortured seas along the Oregon Coast. My husband used to live there and we always expected to retire in Bandon or some other picturesque place. The gulf was never on our radar. The path we chose isn’t always the one we take, I guess.

Jump to this post

I am taking my brother over for 3 days soon, he hasn’t been in a really long time. We usually go in December to the condo but decided not wait. Can’t wait to see our year round pod of whales or sea storm. Either way it is great viewing.

@auntieoakley

I am taking my brother over for 3 days soon, he hasn’t been in a really long time. We usually go in December to the condo but decided not wait. Can’t wait to see our year round pod of whales or sea storm. Either way it is great viewing.

Jump to this post

What a wonderful treat for your brother to get to the ocean for a few days. I’m glad he’s feeling up to it. Nature is healing and there’s no time like the present.
How exciting to see whales year round! We have a lot of dolphins but I’ve never seen whales here in the gulf. But we have our share of storms, which I love! It’s really cool when there is nothing but open water for an unobstructed view! I have a couple pics I grabbed this afternoon! Just so you know it’s not always peaceful on the gulf.

Light dusting of snow brings out Big Bird and his little buddies 🙃 Love seeing Pilleated Woodpeckers on such a small feeder.

@johnbishop

Light dusting of snow brings out Big Bird and his little buddies 🙃 Love seeing Pilleated Woodpeckers on such a small feeder.

Jump to this post

He is amazing! Thank you for sharing him.

@johnbishop

Jump to this post

Beautiful, John! They’re such gorgeous birds and not ones to hold still for the camera! You have the perfect spot for your camera. The snow is so pretty too. Winter is my favorite season. ❄️☃️

Please sign in or register to post a reply.