Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@leelee888123

Thank you for the info. I will incorporate more CBD into my regiment. I use a 1:1 tincture sublingual as well as High THC RSO. More THC than CBD. There is also CBG that this one dispensary agent told me about. He said he took a CBD/CBG tincture and was surprised how well it worked for pain. I bought Some but haven't tried it enough to notice a difference. Anyway. Thank you.

Jump to this post

@leelee888123 I do und after a year of experimenting that higher CBD and lower THC worked better for pain relief and I was less fuzzy too. I use tinctures that enable dose control with better accuracy.

@geric

Hi, I'm Geri. I have been treated for chronic pain for about 30 years. I am now 75. Back problems and fibromyalgia have always been my Achilles heel. I've had one spinal surgery to repair some disc problems, and have been putting off another for fusion at 2 locations in my lumbar spine. In addition, I' m also putting off surgery in my cervical spine, because I have developed painful scoliosis. Three weeks ago, I had a total hip replacement, and I am not experiencing pain relief and quick recovery, that is often associated with hip replacement surgery. We're pretty sure that fibromyalgia is the culprit there...post-op pain is off the charts and it looks as though I will be experiencing a much longer recovery time. For a relatively illusive disorder, fibromyalgia causes some horrible symptoms. There...I've done my whining for the day. I know that some of you are worse-off and some better. I wish you all pain-free days. Nice meeting you!!!!

Jump to this post

Geri, Sometimes it just feels good to "unload". I didn't see your post as whining. I have had fibomyalgia for 28 years and everytime I have surgery it takes me longer to heal than the average person. So many aches, pains and ailments are aligned with Fibromyalgia. It's very painful and tiring.

Praying for you. I empathize. I get it. I care. Blessings to you.

Hi, my pain, which my neurologist ids as Central pain syndrome, began six weeks after I had a stroke caused by unidentified Polycythemia Vera
Entire left side of my body, from face to toes, has constant burning, stinging pain, sometimes shooting. Dr said it’s fairly rare and mist often result if stroke in thalamus region of brain. Have tried pain management drs, acupuncture,
Multiple meds.. some used for
treating epilepsy, depression, that work for some people, even med marijuana Nothing offers any relief at all. Open to any suggestions Also have osteoporosis with bone pain
so I do PT to keep flexible
Thank you

I am Chris Welch. Live in Dover, DE after spending most of my life in the Poconos PA. I have chronic lower back pain, painful glutes when sitting, and burning feet. I have seen more pain docs than I can recall over the past 8 yraers since my ski fall. I am currently on the pain pump and a couple of meds. Together, they provide minimal pain mitigation. At 76, I was hoping to be able to continue with some of my favorite activities, like cycling. However, after my fall, I have bad pain in my buttocks whenever I sit. It feels like I'm sitting on two hockey pucks. No pain doc has been able to address this pain. Piriformis has been ruled out. MRIs show nothing significant. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience. Not really complaining, especially after seeing all the problems that others on this blog are experiencing.

Hi,
I reside in western South Dakota and have been dealing with chronic pain most of my life. I am 56 years old and have battled my body since I was 17. Misdiagnosed with MS in 1998 changed to Fibromyalgia and migraine diagnosis in 2010. Two failed back surgeries due to work accident in 2001 have left me battling chronic pain since. I have went through pain rehab, work hardening, and years of injections and pain meds. I recently have been diagnosed with heart failure and PAH. Trying to change my sedentary lifestyle is increasing my pain and frustration. Looking to strengthen my Faith and searching for new pain management strategies.

@geric

Hi, I'm Geri. I have been treated for chronic pain for about 30 years. I am now 75. Back problems and fibromyalgia have always been my Achilles heel. I've had one spinal surgery to repair some disc problems, and have been putting off another for fusion at 2 locations in my lumbar spine. In addition, I' m also putting off surgery in my cervical spine, because I have developed painful scoliosis. Three weeks ago, I had a total hip replacement, and I am not experiencing pain relief and quick recovery, that is often associated with hip replacement surgery. We're pretty sure that fibromyalgia is the culprit there...post-op pain is off the charts and it looks as though I will be experiencing a much longer recovery time. For a relatively illusive disorder, fibromyalgia causes some horrible symptoms. There...I've done my whining for the day. I know that some of you are worse-off and some better. I wish you all pain-free days. Nice meeting you!!!!

Jump to this post

I understand where you come from! I feel with my chronic pain I “whine” or “hide my pain” nothing in between. I know this is not really the case for any of us when we share what is really going on with our pain/body. I hope you are able to get some pain relief and the Fybro Flare/Surgery enhanced pain calms down.

@geric

Jump to this post

never apologize for "whining". your right. some have it worse some are better than others. but everyone is different. besides whining and complaining keeps you from screaming. so you do have every right to whine and complain. ok? good luck, d

@faithoverfear

Hi,
I reside in western South Dakota and have been dealing with chronic pain most of my life. I am 56 years old and have battled my body since I was 17. Misdiagnosed with MS in 1998 changed to Fibromyalgia and migraine diagnosis in 2010. Two failed back surgeries due to work accident in 2001 have left me battling chronic pain since. I have went through pain rehab, work hardening, and years of injections and pain meds. I recently have been diagnosed with heart failure and PAH. Trying to change my sedentary lifestyle is increasing my pain and frustration. Looking to strengthen my Faith and searching for new pain management strategies.

Jump to this post

Hello @faithoverfear, welcome. I'm sorry, you've been battling a long while for sure. Leaning on strengthening your faith is a wonderful tool to help with pain management. I understand your frustration - having pain makes it difficult to move so we move less, however, not moving also makes it difficult to move as deconditioning or atrophy sets in. It's a pickle!

One thing that has helped in my chronic pain journey was learning that *hurt does not equal harm*.
*This phrase is used when there is a chronic condition and indicative that there is no long an acute issue*. We have to move, even when we hurt. Motion is lotion, move it or lose it...you get the picture. This took me a long while to figure out and it's hard work to make happen, but through moderation and scheduling, it certainly can happen and help.

A process called central sensitization is when there are permanent changes in the spinal cord sending false signals of pain to the brain. This is where hurt does not equal harm comes in. Are you familiar with Central Sensitization Syndrome (CSS)?

Very Well Health:
- https://www.verywellhealth.com/central-sensitivity-syndromes-716160

Mayo Clinic - Dr. Christopher Sletten discusses CSS:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJNhdnSK3WQ

So sorry for your latest diagnosis. I've been learning more about congestive heart failure as 2 people dear to my heart have both been diagnosed with it. Has your doctor provided a plan for you beyond lifestyle changes? Will there be surgery, perhaps? If you're comfortable sharing more, I am interested in learning.

@danny5

never apologize for "whining". your right. some have it worse some are better than others. but everyone is different. besides whining and complaining keeps you from screaming. so you do have every right to whine and complain. ok? good luck, d

Jump to this post

Thanks for the kind words. I usually feel a little better "whining" on this type of forum, because most people here can relate to what I am dealing with.

@rwinney

Hello @faithoverfear, welcome. I'm sorry, you've been battling a long while for sure. Leaning on strengthening your faith is a wonderful tool to help with pain management. I understand your frustration - having pain makes it difficult to move so we move less, however, not moving also makes it difficult to move as deconditioning or atrophy sets in. It's a pickle!

One thing that has helped in my chronic pain journey was learning that *hurt does not equal harm*.
*This phrase is used when there is a chronic condition and indicative that there is no long an acute issue*. We have to move, even when we hurt. Motion is lotion, move it or lose it...you get the picture. This took me a long while to figure out and it's hard work to make happen, but through moderation and scheduling, it certainly can happen and help.

A process called central sensitization is when there are permanent changes in the spinal cord sending false signals of pain to the brain. This is where hurt does not equal harm comes in. Are you familiar with Central Sensitization Syndrome (CSS)?

Very Well Health:
- https://www.verywellhealth.com/central-sensitivity-syndromes-716160

Mayo Clinic - Dr. Christopher Sletten discusses CSS:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJNhdnSK3WQ

So sorry for your latest diagnosis. I've been learning more about congestive heart failure as 2 people dear to my heart have both been diagnosed with it. Has your doctor provided a plan for you beyond lifestyle changes? Will there be surgery, perhaps? If you're comfortable sharing more, I am interested in learning.

Jump to this post

Yes I have heard of CSS, I have been through the Pain Rehab Clinic at Mayo in 2010 as well as Fibro Classes at Mayo. My current Physical Therapist has been reteaching/educating me about it as well. But reading the article you attached I realize I need to be more assertive on getting psychological help too. Also in my diagnosis are IBS, TMJ, Chronic Fatigue. As for new health issues, medications and weight loss are the immediate priority. Increasing activity has really flared my pain. I am doing my best trying to find balance or at least a way to get through.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.