Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

In reply to @grace29 "Nurtec otd" + (show)
@grace29

Nurtec otd

Jump to this post

@grace29 @redhatter54 here. I have migraines both with the aura in my left eye and without. I have nausea with both types. They usually last 1 to 3 days. I was diagnosed with my first migraine after my second fall resulting in a concussion. Over the course of 10yrs, I’ve had about 16 concussions due to falling - mainly in the winter on ice or icy patches. I take a preventive med. which helps and then a med when a migraine does hit. I take to my bedroom where I have darkening curtains. I leave my phone in the living room so I don’t hear it if anyone calls. I need everything to be quiet. I get no warning as to when a migraine will come on. @redhatter54

Hi I am new to the group. I have ibs and colitis. Also to kick it off, diaherra for 3 months. Boy this is enough to get you depressed. Anyone out there having same problems?

Hi, I am Cindy and have chronic pain. I’ve had it one year. Doctors have given up after many tests. They simply diagnosed me with ibs. Hard to treat. I’m reaching out to people with same chronic problem for help.

Hi I'm Pam and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a very long time ago . Used to love playing tennis, squash and most sports but injured my neck shoulder area in my 20s doing aerobics. Have tried many things acapuncture, physio, osteo chyro etc etc. massage seems to help plus amitriptelene which the dr still says is the best. I can do short walks but no good on hills. My symptoms range from neck shoulder pain and clenching lightning flash type feelings in my head which turn into severe headaches, spinal pain and l also have osteoperosis. I really like cooking,l am also in a bookclub and l see friends and family pretty often. We also have a cottage which we rent out on Airbnb and VRBO so that keeps me quite busy. Just wondering if there have been any breakthroughs with fibromyalgia that l should know about. Thx for listening, cheers pam

My name is Susan - I have had fibromyalgia since I was in my 30’s (I am now 59) but I ignored it until it reached epic proportions in the last 5 years. It started peaking with migraines that have become daily that I am now managing with topomax. I was in so much body pain I revisited the diagnosis and was re-diagnosed with fibromyalgia that has been further amplified by osteoarthritis. I am now on lyrica and cymbalta to better manage that. I am doing yoga regularly and have retired but still provide regular care for my 4 grandchildren so I am active. I have to pace myself and be more accepting of my diagnosis and do better self care. This has not been a pattern in my life so I am working on it. I also have sleep apnea, ibs and depression and anxiety.

@szucker99

My name is Susan - I have had fibromyalgia since I was in my 30’s (I am now 59) but I ignored it until it reached epic proportions in the last 5 years. It started peaking with migraines that have become daily that I am now managing with topomax. I was in so much body pain I revisited the diagnosis and was re-diagnosed with fibromyalgia that has been further amplified by osteoarthritis. I am now on lyrica and cymbalta to better manage that. I am doing yoga regularly and have retired but still provide regular care for my 4 grandchildren so I am active. I have to pace myself and be more accepting of my diagnosis and do better self care. This has not been a pattern in my life so I am working on it. I also have sleep apnea, ibs and depression and anxiety.

Jump to this post

Welcome Susan @szucker99, It's always good to pace yourself when you have chronic pain. Thank you for sharing. I think that there are a lot of us that are working on it on a day to day basis. Since you mentioned having fibromyalgia since you were in your 30's, I think you might find the following discussion helpful:

-- Have you found anything to successfully treat fibromyalgia pain?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/dealing-with-fibromyalgia-pain/

Do you mind sharing what's your most difficult symptom to manage?

June 14, 2014 had motorcycle accident and broke pelvis in several places. While placing hardware my lateral femoral nerve was damaged. I believe my nerves are hypersensitive, cortisone injections caused more pain, nerve blocks have not worked. Tried DRG, could not used because any stimulation caused my pain to increase. I have a Stimwave PNS and the placement of the lead increased my pain. When using the Stimwave I could not use because any stimulus caused more pain. Having it removed today.
Because of my pain level I do not go out much and sit in the chair most of the time to keep my pain down. Take 50mg of hydrocodiene daily, lidocaine patches and Voltren gel daily. Lost of muscle mass and in a lot of pain. Need help.

@chesbeau

After 35 radiation treatments and 8 weekly Cisplatin injections for throat cancer, I'm slowly on the mend. Not without particular challenges, my esophagus is raw and a source of great pain. Adversity is my constant companion, unfortunately.

Jump to this post

Welcome, @chesbeau. Great picture. I'll hope you'll add it to your profile.

I invite you to join the discussions in the Head & Neck Cancers group here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/head-neck-cancer/

You are certainly not alone with the challenges of pain and after effects of radiation for throat cancer. I think you and your experience would be a great add to the discussions.

@redhatter54

@grace29 @redhatter54 here. I have migraines both with the aura in my left eye and without. I have nausea with both types. They usually last 1 to 3 days. I was diagnosed with my first migraine after my second fall resulting in a concussion. Over the course of 10yrs, I’ve had about 16 concussions due to falling - mainly in the winter on ice or icy patches. I take a preventive med. which helps and then a med when a migraine does hit. I take to my bedroom where I have darkening curtains. I leave my phone in the living room so I don’t hear it if anyone calls. I need everything to be quiet. I get no warning as to when a migraine will come on. @redhatter54

Jump to this post

Welcome, @redhatter54. Sixteen concussions! Yikes. Please be careful this winter.

You may be interested in joining these related discussions:
- Adult Life after a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/adult-life-after-a-tbi/
- Concussion and it’s symptoms https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/concussion-and-its-symptoms/
- Migraine headache: What helps you cope? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/migraine-headache/

@szucker99

Jump to this post

Hi Susan - yours sounds really similar to mine. I have only just joined too. Hope we find the magic potion together.

cheers Pam

Please sign in or register to post a reply.