Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@faithann64

About at my wit's end ! I've been dealing with chronic Migraines for almost 15 months now. Been to my Local ER Hospital allot. See a Nuero, My reg Doctor and been to pain management . Been admitted in Hospital many times. Have had CT scans and Ct Scans with contrast . Always normal. My Migraines started 15 months ago after passing out 3 seperate times. I've tried infusions, many meds and even give myself monthly shots with not much success ?? And yes i've done Botox also. I just don't know what to do anymore . Anyone that suffers have any suggestions on what i can do ?? I've used up all my FMLA already this year . Unfortunatly still missing work on and off. My employer has been understanding but when missing is to much ??? I've been averaging 3-4 migranes a week. Pretty much always have constant headaches . Thank You

Jump to this post

Welcome to Connect @faithann64. You have come to a great place for support and knowledge. I have been where you are and it's tormenting. I do understand and am so sorry you have constant headaches. The journey of Botox, self injections, pills, urgent care trips, missing work, etc... is exhausting.

I was caught in a downward spiral and did not get out of it until I attended Mayo Clinic's Pain Rehabilitation Center (PRC) where I tapered off all meds and not only learned how to live with chronic pain, but how to quiet it and lead a more productive life. I have attached information about Mayo PRC. Take a look when you are able.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/pain-rehabilitation-center/sections/overview/ovc-20481691

Would you mind letting me know what you think of the program?

Dr. Sletten from Jacksonville Mayo teaches the PRC program. Here is a video of him explaining central sensitization syndrome. You may find it helpful as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8defN4iIbho

Do you mind letting me know what you think of the info I've provided? Does any of it resonate with you? I'm here, please reach out any time.

@faithann64

About at my wit's end ! I've been dealing with chronic Migraines for almost 15 months now. Been to my Local ER Hospital allot. See a Nuero, My reg Doctor and been to pain management . Been admitted in Hospital many times. Have had CT scans and Ct Scans with contrast . Always normal. My Migraines started 15 months ago after passing out 3 seperate times. I've tried infusions, many meds and even give myself monthly shots with not much success ?? And yes i've done Botox also. I just don't know what to do anymore . Anyone that suffers have any suggestions on what i can do ?? I've used up all my FMLA already this year . Unfortunatly still missing work on and off. My employer has been understanding but when missing is to much ??? I've been averaging 3-4 migranes a week. Pretty much always have constant headaches . Thank You

Jump to this post

In reply to faithann64….@migizii….as a fellow chronic migraine person, this illness is complex and difficult to discern and navigate. My journey has been arduous with many twists and turns….numerous tries with many different medications; alternative therapies; and various doctors. I have a very long list of triggers and have learned many lessons in my lifelong journey. It will take time to find what will work for you; I have found anything I tried had to be given at least three to six months before seeing any change (+/-); finding a doctor who won’t give up on you helps greatly; routine is of utmost importance (I actively avoided this for so many years!); and there is hope! My 15-20 migraines a month finally got reduced to 6-8. Not good to the general world but absolutely AWESOME I to me and only one ER trip in three years.

@migizii I've spent allot of times in the ER over the past 15 months and also my reg doctor and Neurologist. Some doctor's that i've seen in the ER act like i'm there for Narcotics 🙁 Anyone knows that if you suffer from Migraines that Narcotics makes them worse . I've filed several complaints against a few doctors and some nurses. It's bad enough that i suffer , then try to get help and be treated as if i'm only seeking drugs. Recently i got a call from HR were i work basically wanting to know if my condition is fixable ?? Because i've missed so much work ?,,, They want me to talk with my doctors to see if this is going to continue ??? I don't want to lose my job ! i"ve exausted my FMLA earlier this year . This journey feels like it's going to never ending and i hope something can be done !

@faithann64

@migizii I've spent allot of times in the ER over the past 15 months and also my reg doctor and Neurologist. Some doctor's that i've seen in the ER act like i'm there for Narcotics 🙁 Anyone knows that if you suffer from Migraines that Narcotics makes them worse . I've filed several complaints against a few doctors and some nurses. It's bad enough that i suffer , then try to get help and be treated as if i'm only seeking drugs. Recently i got a call from HR were i work basically wanting to know if my condition is fixable ?? Because i've missed so much work ?,,, They want me to talk with my doctors to see if this is going to continue ??? I don't want to lose my job ! i"ve exausted my FMLA earlier this year . This journey feels like it's going to never ending and i hope something can be done !

Jump to this post

@faithann64 Like @migizii mentioned, have you been able to figure out what the triggers are for your migraines? I don't get them very often, but for me, stress plays a big part.

Wow, with regards to what HR has to say. Are you being asked to provide documentation from your medical team? In my last full-time job, HR would put out a call to employees asking for donations of vacation time, for a specific person, if they needed it. Does your company do that? Is there any part of your job that can be done remotely?

Are you keeping track of all your symptoms to help narrow this down?
Ginger

@gingerw

@faithann64 Like @migizii mentioned, have you been able to figure out what the triggers are for your migraines? I don't get them very often, but for me, stress plays a big part.

Wow, with regards to what HR has to say. Are you being asked to provide documentation from your medical team? In my last full-time job, HR would put out a call to employees asking for donations of vacation time, for a specific person, if they needed it. Does your company do that? Is there any part of your job that can be done remotely?

Ginger

Jump to this post

Have not figured out what triggers them . When my migraines started i passed out on 3 different ocaasions within a week . I was taken by Ambulance and admitted into hospital and of course had a bunch of test's. The ( Doctor's) could not figure out why i had passed out. Since then i have 3-5 migraines a week and constant headaches .And yes they(HR) want documentation to see if this is going to be an ongoing issue. And my job cannot be remotley. (Correctional Officer ). And yes i keep track of all my symptoms and still cannot figure out what triggers them ??? Again i recently had CT with Contrast and again normal ! I've tried just about everything my neuro said he's thrown at me with no results. HR even told me to think about maybe to sign up for disability ????? That process would be never ending !

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

Thank you for mentioning stress, Ginger. The stress of Dr. after Dr., and meds eventually not working, fans the flames of migraine creating stress. Feeling pressure to perform a job, or possibly lose it, fuels the fire.

Lifestyle change and managing stress are huge components. Since I've learned my triggers, got off migraine meds, and learned how to manage pain, I've put myself back in control. I have greatly reduced migraine, if not eliminated.

Great advice on HR for @faithann64. I have never heard of pto donations. That's awesome! I hope it helps people who really need it.

@faithann64

Jump to this post

@faithann64
I feel your pain…
So many things can trigger migraines. Some of mine are my year-round allergies and I am chemical sensitive (aromas of cleaning solutions, air fresheners, perfumes, etc) Of course stress does not help.

One of my first suggestions with anyone with health problems is to keep a journal…
write down what you ate and drank (foods & drinks can trigger migraines). Write down how you were feeling.. were you stressed, sad, overwhelmed. If you have high blood pressure… are you keeping it under control.
Do your migraines come near a time you take certain medications…

Most of the time migraines have early signs they are coming.

Take something then. … whatever helps.

I am not suppose to take aspirin or any nsaid because of my stomach … but When I do feel a migraine coming on I take two extra strength Tylenol and one regular strength aspirin. It usually prevents the migraine.. but if not I repeat. .. making sure I have food on my stomach.

I got the Relief Band about a year ago for nausea that I get. It is like a tens unit you wear like a watch. I found that it also helps quell any type headache. I got the cheaper one with the replaceable battery. I found it also helps with the arthritic pain I have in that hand.. I wear it on my right wrist. I tried it on my left wrist and it seem to make my heart beat a little fast. My husband bought the Relief Band through the company that makes it on Amazon.. it is same price as their web site, but my husband is used to dealing with Amazon.

I hope you find what works for you soon.
ZeeGee

So I seen my Neurologist today and he's referring me to a Anesthesiologist Pain Management for my chronic migraines,. He said he's thinks these are Cluster Headaches ! He said he's thrown everything at me he can think of with no relief! have no clue what an Anesthesiologist can do for me ??? My regular Doctor sometime ago sent me to Pain Management and the doctor told me there was nothing he basically could do for me because narcotics makes migraines worse ! Has anyone seen an Anesthesiologist for Migraines or if it is Cluster Headaches ??? Just curious. Thanks

Hi my name is Lynda. I live in California. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2000.for the last 9 months I have been dealing with severe back pain. Three months ago I started to have digestion problems along with numbness and horrible weakness in my upper legs. I AM currently waiting for tests that will not be done until the end of August. Nice to be here.

@shilo2pp

Hi my name is Lynda. I live in California. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2000.for the last 9 months I have been dealing with severe back pain. Three months ago I started to have digestion problems along with numbness and horrible weakness in my upper legs. I AM currently waiting for tests that will not be done until the end of August. Nice to be here.

Jump to this post

I’ve been working with one for about six months and am so thrilled that I found this doctor!

My word or caution is make sure it’s not an office that herds you in like cattle. The first office I went to booked 15 of us for a one o’clock appointment. When it was finally my turn it was a cookie cutter outfit. After a few minutes the guy said to me “Come with me I’m giving you an injection.” I left. I found a wonderful one that is part of Atrium Health. I called their “find a physician “ line. They LISTENED and suggest a different doctor. He spent a lot of time with me and was very thorough with me. He listened.

Do your homework.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.