Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

Hi, My name is David and I have many health issues. I will mention the health issue which affects my quality of life the most. It's pain, pain that is hard to describe so others can understand, pain that affects those close to me, pain that has turned my life upsidedown, pain that has no cure only very limited treatment available to help one get through each day of suffering. My pain comes from a disease or condition, I added condition because I'm not sure calling it a disease is correct. I have been told by two different neurosurgeons I have arachnoiditis caused by the dyes that were used many years ago for tests involving the spine, and neither one of them could or would help me. I'm searching for a doctor who treats arachnoiditis in my area, as close as possible to my home. Traveling is almost impossible because of the pain or the lack of money. The only treatment that helped me have a decent quality of life was from opioids and we all know about our government's war on opioids. My opioids were reduced so much I went from being very active to in bed almost 24 hours a day. My ability to continue fighting this horrible is almost gone.I'm rambling on here and having trouble concentration I'll close for now.

@dbk

Hi, My name is David and I have many health issues. I will mention the health issue which affects my quality of life the most. It's pain, pain that is hard to describe so others can understand, pain that affects those close to me, pain that has turned my life upsidedown, pain that has no cure only very limited treatment available to help one get through each day of suffering. My pain comes from a disease or condition, I added condition because I'm not sure calling it a disease is correct. I have been told by two different neurosurgeons I have arachnoiditis caused by the dyes that were used many years ago for tests involving the spine, and neither one of them could or would help me. I'm searching for a doctor who treats arachnoiditis in my area, as close as possible to my home. Traveling is almost impossible because of the pain or the lack of money. The only treatment that helped me have a decent quality of life was from opioids and we all know about our government's war on opioids. My opioids were reduced so much I went from being very active to in bed almost 24 hours a day. My ability to continue fighting this horrible is almost gone.I'm rambling on here and having trouble concentration I'll close for now.

Jump to this post

David, I know the feeling of terrible pain for which there's no known cure. I know that there's been an active discussion about arachnoiditis, if you can scroll down through list of discussions under chronic pain. I haven't figured out how to send copy and send links, but there are others who can. Maybe @johnbishop or @hopeful33250 could help out with helpful links.

I'm a lucky beneficiary of the government opioid fiasco, as well. But I won't write anything more so John or Theresa can see this message.

Jim

Welcome and Good evening David, @dbk. It seems that you have been a member for several months. Thanks for deciding to jump in and reveal your major health concern. It is the same as mine.....pain. We dwell on things like...how much pain will we have and how long will it last this time. When it is chronic...we commit most of our waking hours in attempts to manage and control pain. If I understood your words correctly, constant pain is interfering with your ability to concentrate and reducing your quality of life immeasurably.

By the way, I think arachnoiditis is classified as a pain disorder. What is the area where you are searching for a clinic that can help you? Do you happen to live in or near a state that has legalized medical cannabis for chronic pain? That may be an alternative for you to explore with your chosen doctor. All three of my current clinicians have knowledge of my commitment to using medical cannabis. You can get a lot of assistance from the dispensary staff for initial product selection.

Sometimes pain can be reduced by distractions. Do you participate in any activities during your day? Are there times during your day when you are able to leave your bed and walk around the house? There have been quite a few older posts on Connect about arachnoiditis. I will place a link below. You can search for them using the search at the top of the page. Or you can start a new and updated discussion which may attract others with similar concerns.

Link on Connect
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/arachnoiditis/

May you be free of suffering if only for a few precious moments. I am putting you on my follow up list. Chris

@dbk

Jump to this post

Hello @dbk,

Here is the link to a Connect conversation about arachnoiditis that @jimhd mentioned in his post to you. Just click on the link and read the many posts.

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/i-am-desperate-to-find-a-dr-who-treats-arachnoiditis-i-live/

Here is a link from Mayo's website about pain treatment for this disorder, https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/pain-medicine/sections/conditions-treated/orc-20450067

After you read these links, will you post again?

@dbk

Jump to this post

Hello David and welcome to Connect. I'm very sorry to learn of your suffering. Chronic pain is a world in which no-one can understand until living in it. You have found a team here of chronic pain allies. If nothing more may this experience bring you compassion and encouragement to keep fighting. I feel for you regarding opiods and the fact that in many cases of chronic pain there simply is no substitute. I'm an opioid user and by choice keep trying other options to reduce my need for opiod pain management. Currently I'm exploring medical cannabis and steadily climbing until hopefully I find a match for my pain. My heart goes out to you. I watched my mom (Chronic pain suffer of 40 years) get flat out cut off of opiods from her pain management Dr because she refused stimulator implants and injections. She was able to work with her PCP who she had a long, strong relationship over the years and continue her opiod treatment as she is by no means an abuser. My wish for you is that you find comfort in talking about your pain here on Connect, learn from others experience with your diagnosis and develop a plan going forward of how you will not let pain defeat you entirely. Here for you.
Rachel

@dbk

Jump to this post

@dbk I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. I have fibromyalgia which affects not only my muscle nerves Besides the arachnoditis do you have other autoimmune problems. ? For me exercise helps a lot I do take Tramadol have since 2005 when I had a fracture of my back. I hope you can find something to give you relieve. Best wishes to you

@rwinney

Hello David and welcome to Connect. I'm very sorry to learn of your suffering. Chronic pain is a world in which no-one can understand until living in it. You have found a team here of chronic pain allies. If nothing more may this experience bring you compassion and encouragement to keep fighting. I feel for you regarding opiods and the fact that in many cases of chronic pain there simply is no substitute. I'm an opioid user and by choice keep trying other options to reduce my need for opiod pain management. Currently I'm exploring medical cannabis and steadily climbing until hopefully I find a match for my pain. My heart goes out to you. I watched my mom (Chronic pain suffer of 40 years) get flat out cut off of opiods from her pain management Dr because she refused stimulator implants and injections. She was able to work with her PCP who she had a long, strong relationship over the years and continue her opiod treatment as she is by no means an abuser. My wish for you is that you find comfort in talking about your pain here on Connect, learn from others experience with your diagnosis and develop a plan going forward of how you will not let pain defeat you entirely. Here for you.
Rachel

Jump to this post

I’m a chronic pain sufferer and my doctors will not even offer opioids for pain!

@dbk

Jump to this post

Prayers for you

vklittle61, where are you? I have had trouble getting tramadol and adderall in Virginia and Delaware. Draconian laws made by politicians who don't have chronic pain are hurting real patients who need real medicine. I bought some cold medicine in a drug store and the clerk had to check my I.D. even for that because she said that teenagers are abusing regular cough syrup like dextromethorphan. I don't know what they are doing with it, I don't see how it could make them high, all it does is stop cough and barely that. Peggy

@artscaping

Welcome and Good evening David, @dbk. It seems that you have been a member for several months. Thanks for deciding to jump in and reveal your major health concern. It is the same as mine.....pain. We dwell on things like...how much pain will we have and how long will it last this time. When it is chronic...we commit most of our waking hours in attempts to manage and control pain. If I understood your words correctly, constant pain is interfering with your ability to concentrate and reducing your quality of life immeasurably.

By the way, I think arachnoiditis is classified as a pain disorder. What is the area where you are searching for a clinic that can help you? Do you happen to live in or near a state that has legalized medical cannabis for chronic pain? That may be an alternative for you to explore with your chosen doctor. All three of my current clinicians have knowledge of my commitment to using medical cannabis. You can get a lot of assistance from the dispensary staff for initial product selection.

Sometimes pain can be reduced by distractions. Do you participate in any activities during your day? Are there times during your day when you are able to leave your bed and walk around the house? There have been quite a few older posts on Connect about arachnoiditis. I will place a link below. You can search for them using the search at the top of the page. Or you can start a new and updated discussion which may attract others with similar concerns.

Link on Connect
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/arachnoiditis/

May you be free of suffering if only for a few precious moments. I am putting you on my follow up list. Chris

Jump to this post

Hi my name is Edyie but I like to be called smilie. I suffer from depression and arthritis. I’m usually in the other group. How does anyone grocery shop, the bags are usually too heavy?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.