Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

@ursweetpam

Nice to meet you @ psearby17! It might be a good idea to mention how you've been feeling to your family dr or pain Dr, if you have one. It's common for someone to develop depression and anxiety when they are is constant pain. There thing your Dr can do to help with the. I have major depression, all my life. It did get worse after my failed back surgery and my Dr needed to increase my dose.
Do you have grown children or parents that you enjoy visiting with? Even something like that or a phone call to a friend is just enough to distract you from the pain. It's about all I can do these day since walking is so difficult. I know about the inflamed coccyx. I broke mine during a forcep delivery of my oldest child. I still have to sit on a hard chair with a leg under my butt to take the pressire off. My mom's was so bad it poked through the bottom of spine and thru the skin! Have you tried strategically placing pillows in a way that takes the pressure off that part of your spine? Have you tried a tens? There are good ones on Amazon if you're interseted. Have you spoke with a surgeon or pain management yet? You need to sleep or it's just going to make things worse. Keeping you in my prayers {{hugz}}

Jump to this post

Hey Sweetpam, thanks for your great advice. Good to hear from you. I've been to a pain management doctor. We're planning on doing a ganglion impar block injection in the near future for my coccyx. Also have scheduled a medical branch block in a couple of weeks for my neck. I have the same issues you do. I didn't know about using pillows. Never thought of that. I do use a TENS unit and that helps a lot. I just can't sit for very long even with the TENS unit so traveling in a car or plane I haven't been able to do. I have trouble sleeping and have had trouble for years. I have to take a benzo and an amino acid in order to get some sleep. I wish I wasn't dependent on them but I am. Thank you for your prayers. How do you manage to get on with your life with all of your issues. I have grown children but they do not want to have much to do with me. One lives very far away and the other just is too busy with her own life, so visiting them isn't in the works for me. I try to stay in touch with friends but most of them don't want to know I'm in pain or what is going on with me. They don't have any physical issues. That hurts me. So I don't say anything about how I'm feeling and that gets me more depressed. So nice of you to respond to me. That means a lot to me.

@psearby17

Hi Everyone just started a discussion about bulging discs in my neck at C3 and C4, L5 and bursitis in my hips. Also suffer from coccydynia which I've had since 2001; inflammation of the coccyx. All of this has impacted my life and I'm now very anxious and depressed. Don't sleep well either. Can anyone give me some advice as to how to live a "normal" life when I don't feel normal.

Jump to this post

I use a heating pad at bedtime and that helps. I can't take tramadol or gabapentin. I haven't found a muscle relaxer that works for me. Which one do you use. And I do stretching and pull my legs up to my chest; that helps, too. Guess I'm just so tired of not having the pain free body I once had.

@kathyec

Hi
I am Kate and live in Canada. I have constant migraines that are a huge factor in my life. Not that I want anyone else to suffer but it's nice to find others who understand.

Jump to this post

@kathyec When I was a teenager I was given Fioricet for migraine pain. What I found was that I had rebound headaches worse than the original headache. Eventually in my 20's I was put on a beta blocker (blood pressure pill) My head felt like it was bleeding with these headaches. I would put my hand to my head expecting to find blood.I suffered so much and then I kept a calendar of my migraines. turns out they were mainly hormonal migraines. Years later I was put on Imitrex. That was a lifesaver! I had almost 40 years of dealing with migraines until I had a hysterectomy. I still get migraines but they are few and far between.
Here on Connect,there is usually someone in a similar situation as you. I have sent a message to the moderators to help direct you to the best group who also have a history of dealing with headaches/migraines. @justin McClanahan

@psearby17

Hi Everyone just started a discussion about bulging discs in my neck at C3 and C4, L5 and bursitis in my hips. Also suffer from coccydynia which I've had since 2001; inflammation of the coccyx. All of this has impacted my life and I'm now very anxious and depressed. Don't sleep well either. Can anyone give me some advice as to how to live a "normal" life when I don't feel normal.

Jump to this post

@psearby17 I hear the frustration in your post about "not having the body I once had." I have fibromyalgia along with problems of my cervical spine. Pain is a daily factor. Fibro gives me terrible muscle spasms so I take Baclofen. It works quite well for me. Have you tried it for your muscle spasms? It may be something to talk to your doctor about. I also wanted to direct you to a post. What Distracts You from Your Pain. Many of our members are creative in getting some relief. Please check out this linkhttps://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/what-distracts-you-from-the-pain/?pg=11#comment-101099
Jen

I read here how others are getting help with chronic pain. I get nowhere and have learned mentioning pain is like using a dirty word. It is in my chart I have chronic pain. I have tried advocating for myself in an appropriate way-my blood work is normal so go back in 6 months and hear the same old song. Why even bother?? Yes, I am extremely discouraged. Clinics are taking over although they call themselves medical groups and charge big money. I know, quit my whining. I can still drive, am still ambulatory, can keep my bills paid, am not in debt…

@parus

I read here how others are getting help with chronic pain. I get nowhere and have learned mentioning pain is like using a dirty word. It is in my chart I have chronic pain. I have tried advocating for myself in an appropriate way-my blood work is normal so go back in 6 months and hear the same old song. Why even bother?? Yes, I am extremely discouraged. Clinics are taking over although they call themselves medical groups and charge big money. I know, quit my whining. I can still drive, am still ambulatory, can keep my bills paid, am not in debt…

Jump to this post

Hi @parus, I'm sure others here with chronic pain can relate to your feelings…including myself. I have some pain but I don't consider it chronic. But it does remind me of my mother – a sweet, crippled up lady with severe RA and almost always in pain. She always had a smile on her face and I believe she was able to deal with a lot of her pain by music and positive thoughts like you said. One of the songs she used to sing to with an old 78 record she had was a Bing Crosby hit – Accentuate The Positive. She was a joy to be around.

Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters-Accentuate The Positive

John

@parus

Jump to this post

@johnbishop Love that song and love it's message! Thanks for a great musical reminder. Teresa

I received an interesting email today from the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy on chronic pain. The article also has a link to submit your comments to the FDA by September 10, 2018. Seems to be a good opportunity to provide feedback to the FDA.

FDA and FPN survey patients on chronic pain and treatments
https://www.foundationforpn.org/2018/07/17/fda-and-fpn-survey-patients-on-chronic-pain/

John

@wsh66

Are you talking about an implanted pump to deliver pain meds? If so, it's the cat's meow and your daddies fine tooth comb. Get one, I did.

Jump to this post

What kind of Doctor do you go to to get a pain pump ?

@wsh66

Are you talking about an implanted pump to deliver pain meds? If so, it's the cat's meow and your daddies fine tooth comb. Get one, I did.

Jump to this post

A Neurosurgeon named Dr. Michael Park at M Health in Mpls. MN did mine.

This is probably old news to those in this group, but the group is new to me. SUMMARY: car accident 9/2000 ; Chiara malformation discovered a year later, decompression surgery; labral tear right shoulder repaired 2003; fusion at c5 to c7 for compression on spinal chord 2006. Physical therapy chiropractors massage therapy pain medications trigger point injections botox injections tens units facet injections radio frequency procedures etc etc etc etc. Most recently I have been given lidocaine patches, had the flexeral replaced with tizanadine, and been given naproxen 550 mg. I was on steroids for five days for inflammation and that helped, but that is not sustainable of course. Recent mri shows continued degeneration at c3-c4. C7 -t1 shows mild to moderate facet degeneration, and the degeneration has spread down. Right arm feels hot and heavy, ring finger and pinky number or tingly at times. The worst pain is at the scapular/ shoulder blade level – like a stake has been shoved in and left there. I feel like puking. Not sure how much longer I can put up with this, especially if worse is yet to come as things continue to "degenerate". I am on a depression med, and some people like to think the pain is mostly imagined. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

@colleenyoung

Hi all,
I’m Colleen, Community Director and part of Connect’s moderator team along with Kelsey. I want to say a special thank you to @leh09 @19lin @seanbeck @suebreen54 @mlemieux @ladyjane85 @lolomarie @zjandre @briansr @salena54 @sharonmay7 for all your contributions and making new members feel welcome.

Cheers to continued connecting on Connect.

Jump to this post

I Colleen. I have been praying very hard the past few months to find someone who will LISTEN and look at things from the patient standpoint. I have had so many things happen physically, I could not even list. My issue, I pray someone here can give me advice, At this moment ..,I’m struggling with being on 200 mg per day of ER morphine for 15 yrs , allergic to every other pain med, and 2 mg Klonopin for severe anxiety attacks due from trauma. Now dr are saying there is a limit on pain medication and that it cannot be mixed with Klonopin Therefore I feel like I am being pushed to either suffer from pain or have anxiety attacks every day of my life I’m not sure I can physically make it someone please help me

Hi all!
I am currently laying on a hospital bed waiting for a Mylogram CT.
My spine is a mess. Among other things, I have stenosis of the limbar and cervical spine, osteoarthritis of the spine, bone spurs, slipped disks and more.
I have acute pain that does not respond to pain meds or steroidal shots or orally.
Today I am taking this test to see if the neurosurgeon has to go back in to fuse the 2 discs he replaced in February.
He is also lookking to see why I can't walk and move my right ankle and toes.
He says I am presenting like someone who has had an injury to the spine.
I have my follow up appt next week to review ALL the tests and records.
Have to go. They are coming to get me.
Here's to a painfreevday!
Ronnie

@grandmar Hello Ronnie:

I appreciate you alerting us to your hospitalization and pain. I'm sending a prayer up on your behalf that you will get the right diagnosis and treatment plan in place.

Will you keep in touch and let me know how you are doing?

Teresa

@grandmar

Hi all!
I am currently laying on a hospital bed waiting for a Mylogram CT.
My spine is a mess. Among other things, I have stenosis of the limbar and cervical spine, osteoarthritis of the spine, bone spurs, slipped disks and more.
I have acute pain that does not respond to pain meds or steroidal shots or orally.
Today I am taking this test to see if the neurosurgeon has to go back in to fuse the 2 discs he replaced in February.
He is also lookking to see why I can't walk and move my right ankle and toes.
He says I am presenting like someone who has had an injury to the spine.
I have my follow up appt next week to review ALL the tests and records.
Have to go. They are coming to get me.
Here's to a painfreevday!
Ronnie

Jump to this post

@grandmar hoping they get you all fixed up and pain free.

God Bless…John

Please login or register to post a reply.