Vitamin D3 5000 UI daily safe?

Posted by patriciam2021 @patriciam2021, Jan 29, 2021

I have been taking Vitamin D3 5000 UI "by prescription" for 4+ years and now concerned that it has created other issues. I have vasculitis, lupus, psoriasis, IBS-D, diabetes 2, pretty much inflammation everywhere. I am wondering if there is a connection. I am obese and cannot be out in sunlight per medication and disabled - 59. Could someone please share their opinion? Thank you in advance.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@athenalee

I’m a liver transplant recipient. My Vitamin D is slightly low. I met with the transplant team nutritionist yesterday and she said that for most people it is safe to take up to 4,000 IU/day. And, the levels should be monitored.

Jump to this post

@athenalee Annie,

Yes, I have a low Vitamin D as well because of hyperparathyroidism. I get my Vit D level checked periodically and try to get as much sun as I can. Living in the midwest makes it hard to get sun as much as I should but the supplements are good for the most part.

@hopeful33250

@athenalee Annie,

Yes, I have a low Vitamin D as well because of hyperparathyroidism. I get my Vit D level checked periodically and try to get as much sun as I can. Living in the midwest makes it hard to get sun as much as I should but the supplements are good for the most part.

Jump to this post

Agreed. Unfortunately, my days of sunshine are short between the meds and Sjogren’s…which I recently discovered gives me a wicked rash if I’m in direct sun for just a short time. Too bad, as I’ve always enjoyed sitting in the sun after my work day!

What is a safe Vitamin D, IU for a 78 yr young male?

@a9g
If I were you I’d ask your doctor to test your level and see if you even need to take a supplement. Based on your level and any medical condition or medication that may affect your level he/she should advise you.
Ideally you should take it with a meal (one containing fat) and have vitamin K, magnesium, and zinc too. I have taken it without taking K, magnesium or zinc and my levels are normal now. My doctor initially put me on 6,000 IU until my level was where she wanted it then 2,000 but but my level started to drop. Now I’m on 3,0000, hopefully thats my new magic dose. Anticonvulsant drugs, definitely the two I take cause abnormal vitamin D metabolism.
I wouldn’t just take vitamin D indiscriminately. I would consult with a physician.
Health & happiness to you,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@a9g
If I were you I’d ask your doctor to test your level and see if you even need to take a supplement. Based on your level and any medical condition or medication that may affect your level he/she should advise you.
Ideally you should take it with a meal (one containing fat) and have vitamin K, magnesium, and zinc too. I have taken it without taking K, magnesium or zinc and my levels are normal now. My doctor initially put me on 6,000 IU until my level was where she wanted it then 2,000 but but my level started to drop. Now I’m on 3,0000, hopefully thats my new magic dose. Anticonvulsant drugs, definitely the two I take cause abnormal vitamin D metabolism.
I wouldn’t just take vitamin D indiscriminately. I would consult with a physician.
Health & happiness to you,
Jake

Jump to this post

Thanks for the Info.

I was advised by my doctor that some people have trouble retaining (not sure if that’s the right word) vitamin D and that their levels need to be monitored from time to time. At one point my levels were so low that I had to take 50,000 IU a week plus 2,000 a day for quite a while just to get within normal range. Now I have been on just 2,000 per day and my levels are stabilized.

It is a good idea to ask that your vitamin D levels be checked from time to time (I now ask for a check about once every two years). As mentioned by the other member, best to take D after your ‘fattiest’ meal of the day.

Hope this is helpful.

@whattodo, @a9g, @jakedduck1 .. Mayo Information of D3 says more than a 1000 IU is not therapeutic.. doesn't help..
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-vitamin-d/art-20363792

@ken82
Thanks for the information Ken.
That may be true under normal circumstances but certain medical conditions and medications sometimes require more. Both my seizure meds cause my body to metabolize it quicker. I was taking 2,000 units and my level was decreasing.
Jake

@jakedduck1 In that article there can be conflicts with many other common medications.. like Statins.. (Lipitor..) so check that part out too.. Good luck to you... I had it prescribed to get my immune system improving after radiation for Prostate Cancer treatment.. Ken

My Vitamin D levels were very low a few years ago. My doctor prescribed 50,000 IU per day for one week then re-tested. I was then put on 2,000 IU per day until my levels reached a low-normal range. Now I am taking 1,000 IU of D3 per day. I have not been tested for about 3 years. I am over 80. Is it time?

In the past 2 years I have noticed odd skin lesions....rough brownish patched which sometimes itch. There are no dermatologist anywhere in the County. I do not drive so I would welcome any ideas.
Thank you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.